• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rank the 2022 QB Draft Class

*FreeFua*

...not just to be a contrarian:

1. Matt Corral

2. Kenny Pickett

3A. Carson Strong

3B. Sam Howell

4A. Malik Willis

4B. Desmond Ridder

NFL Scouts like Strong a lot more than the website rankings show.  He is the best pure QB in the draft but Pickett's year puts him just an edge ahead (along with being a tad more mobile and no knee concern).  I just love his decision making, deep ball, and downfield accuracy.  Hard to teach those. 

Unsure about Willis and Ridder but love Ridder's upside. 

Edited by davos
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Seriously?

Dude drops dimes fading away off his back foot 50 yards down field. 

Willis is this years Lance in my opinion. Has all the tools but like Rum said, he definitely needs to sit a year and be developed 

Lance is a good comp. I've seen comparisons to Josh Allen in terms of arm strength and Jalen Hurts in terms of mobility. His decision making is his biggest issue right now. He's definitely raw but I think has the most potential out of this whole class. His uncle is also former Panther James Anderson, so at least their are some bloodlines for NFL talent.

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Good Thread.   Finally someone starts a thread that is more than bitching.

1.  Kenny Pickett.  Although he threw a lot of interceptions before this season, he is still a gunslinger with no mobility; his short and long accuracy, however, was solid this year.  He has good height and a lot of experience, which I think will help him transition more quickly.  Finally, he wins games, evidenced by Pitt's success this year.

2.  Matt Corral.  Although he scares me on the next level, his athleticism is what the new NFL seems to want in a QB.  Most of his passes (52%) were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and his accuracy beyond that was suspect.

3.  Sam Howell.  He has the athleticism to run and has accuracy.  Average arm strength.  Was very accurate in the short passing game, had some issues this year (with lesser WRs) in the longer passes.  I think he will be better than advertised, but not a star.  However, PFF compares his profile to Lamarr Jackson, something that surprised me, due to his run/pass threat that emerged this season.

4.  Malik Willis.  Much of what I see is based on his confidence in his physical ability to make a play, even when a play is not to be made.  In the NFL, you can't throw a pass into a tight window with regular success and holding onto the ball too long will end your career.  As a running QB, he will be one of the best; as a passing QB, he will need much more discipline and coaching in his mechanics.

5.  Carson Strong.  The injury concern is strong in my assessment of him, but I put that aside to look at his long ball accuracy.  We have some long ball threats (Anderson, Smith, Moore) so he could be a good match.  He has excellent to good success on short and longer throws.  I think he needs a year or two to develop, and may never be more than a serviceable backup.

6. Desmond Ridder.  Ridder had a big, stud OL and was rarely challenged with extensive pressure.  His short accuracy was solid, but when he had to get yards downfield, he was below average.  That was a red flag for me--a QB with time should be able to succeed on every level.

Great post.   Thanks for the write-up for all of us guys who aren't watching too much college ball.  

From my non-studied perspective, Pickett seems like one of the best bets.  Experienced.  Very Successful.  The kid knows how to get W's.  He's also reported to have that charisma you need in a #1 QB.   

Willis is a guy that is super athletic and has a gun for an arm.  I've watched a few of his Youtube highlights and they were impressive.   Not sure how good a pure pocket passer he would be.   But he seems like Cam Newton lite so maybe that's not too big of an issue.  

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

They’re calling him the best center prospect in forever. It would help us tremendously to have 1 stud somewhere on the line like Nelson did for the Colts. I think it’s adorable that people on here think we can find a trade partner to move back in the 1st and he’ll still fall in our laps. 

Rhule doesn’t like O linemen who are dominant at one position he likes em to be inadequate  at 2-3 positions. Smdh 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, ThPantherFan said:

Don't agree.  We go for a tackle in round one and then pick a quarterback on the next round we have.

Yeah I am not sure what the hell he is thinking.  Trading back is going to get us the 3rd or 4rth best qb and a 2nd tier tackle.   Who is going to give us a kings ransom for pick 6?   Someone give me a scenario of an offer that is going to blow us away?

• Beer 2

For perspective, and not that I always agree with him but Kiper said his top rated QB (Pickett) in this draft would have been the sixth rated guy against last years class behind Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Lance and Fields.  Totally agree there.  I think Sam Howell will drop some due to his average measurables and stats this year but still believe he can play.  LOL at the Lamar Jackson comp. Baker Mayfield is a better one.  Of course he hasn’t been great so that’s concerning 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2