• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HOF Finalist (2 former Panthers make the cut)

CRA

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think it is about anything historical(from college). I think it is because his career was so short for modern NFL QB.

Well, I would put him in because I don’t think longevity should carry tremendous weight.   It’s why Megatron is a first ballot.   It’s why I think Luke should get in with a short career.

Cam has never compared to any QB in the modern era.   He is the greatest rushing threat from the QB position in NFL history IMO.   And Cam lead the era of the mobile college QBs being normalized in today’s NFL.    So I’d put him in. 

But I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t get in. I wouldn’t put my money on it 

• Beer 1

Just now, CRA said:

Well, I would put him in because I don’t think longevity should carry tremendous weight.   It’s why Megatron is a first ballot.   It’s why I think Luke should get in with a short career.

Cam has never compared to any QB in the modern era.   He is the greatest rushing threat from the QB position in NFL history IMO.   And Cam lead the era of the mobile college QBs being normalized in today’s NFL.    So I’d put him in. 

But I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t get in. I wouldn’t put my money on it 

QB careers(especially HOF) are so long now. That is the only reason I could see it going sideways on us 

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Eeehhh, most analysts are probably gonna give that title to Steve Largent.

Largent was amazing. He was quiet but deadly. Caught everything thrown his way and somehow seemed to be always open. Played for a poor Seattle Team with Jim Z. and David C as his primary qbs. He was probably widely considered the best WR of his era before Jerry Rice broke onto the scene. *Respect*

That said-Smitty had a comparable career and should be a HOFer.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I do want to point out that Smith finished his career with 19,173 All Purpose Yards and 89 career TD's. 

That does dwarf what the rest of the finalists in this class have at the position. 

+ 11 more TDs in the postseason

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

More pro bowls?Screenshot_20211230-202513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e0f111d3a37b1f19cdbb5cb7da8514fc.jpg

This also leaves of Smitty's 2005 Triple Crown (not an 'official' award but still big), one of three to achieve that since 1966 and the only one the last 29 years.  The other two are Rice and Sterling Sharpe in the early 90s, and Smitty earned it with Jake chucking the ball vs Montana and a still-young Favre.

12 hours ago, Shocker said:

Sam Mills resume as a player is enough.  As a person he should be get special consideration 

On another note…Cam Newton has to be squarely in the HOF.  Keeping him out would be ridiculous with the records he has atp

Idk about that. The league stole a SB from him, they could damn well keep him from getting a jacket too.

27 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Idk about that. The league stole a SB from him, they could damn well keep him from getting a jacket too.

voters are largely all media guys.  Media has been brutal to Cam since Auburn.  It would take him a long time to get in and probably all the guys who covered him to no longer be voters IMO.