• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How did LT BC do?

musicman

Preliminary report: 

He had more hurries than any other OL, but he was tested more with stunts.  I saw him lose his feet and fall once, similar to a few prior games.  On a few plays his routine block went inside and BC followed him too long, making him late to pick up a blitzing DB--but that is experience, not a lack of skill.  He was not the liability he could have been, and the other side of the OL struggled more.

• Beer 1

I saw the same posters talking up Dennis Daley hyping up BC, so he has that going against him.

Been rewatching him to see if he'd be a potential "Unsung Heroes" focus and the dude did not look good vs TB. Tecklenburg missing adjustments vs the various blitzes TB sent at them didn't do him any favors tho.

Hopefully he looks improved when I get to rewatch the game without drowning it out with booze.

Edited by Icege

58 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I tried to watch out for him as much as possible, easier said than done.

What I saw were two tackles having to try to carry the load of a crappy interior OL.  I mean, BC wasn't near as bad as Erving usually is.  He had some bad plays, but then again, the NO defense schemed up blitzes that exposed his lack of experience.  The delayed/corner/edge blitzes beat him pretty routinely.

He also did a fair amount of holding that wasn't called, par for the ref crew.  I mean, it wasn't a trash game, but he did some good and had some real "learning" moments.

Would having a real LG next to him help?  How about a Center or QB who can make the calls at the line?  Oh yeah.  

But he wasn't all bad.  Honestly, the iOL was so putrid he was just trying to make something out of nothing.

We're gonna end up taking someone like Evan Neal with our first pick and sliding Brady over to LG.  Hopefully Deonte Brown can get his poo together this off season and we can slot him at RG.  Then we only need a C. 

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Preliminary report: 

He had more hurries than any other OL, but he was tested more with stunts.  I saw him lose his feet and fall once, similar to a few prior games.  On a few plays his routine block went inside and BC followed him too long, making him late to pick up a blitzing DB--but that is experience, not a lack of skill.  He was not the liability he could have been, and the other side of the OL struggled more.

John Miller is literally one of the worst G's I have ever seen.  We seem to have a lot of "worst I've ever seen" guys on this offense this year.  Not good. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Experience? He’s a 25 year old LT who played LT at BYU. Are you saying that stunts and blitzing DBs don’t happen until the NFL? I’m not trying to bash him since he’s barely played but how many times will he give up the play before he gets it right? Also, from my perspective, he wasn’t close to picking up the DB. His only movement was his head moving, which worries me that even if he recognizes it he’s already lost once he starts his inside move due to the stunt.

His age is a concern, but all rookies have college experience when they are called inexperienced.  A QB has seen zone, Man, cover 2, 3, etc. but the game has to slow down for that young QB before he succeeds--and he saw it in college.  The blitz and stunt schemes these pros run blows away anything he saw at BYU---and he was a third rounder, so he did not dominate in college.  And finally, in college he never had to play beside Mike Jordan.

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I guess, my bigger worry is if we somehow peg BC as our LT and don’t draft one of the top 3 in this draft.

I get that--there is not enough there to crown him, but most of the problems we are having are coming from A and B gap.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Experience? He’s a 25 year old LT who played LT at BYU. Are you saying that stunts and blitzing DBs don’t happen until the NFL? I’m not trying to bash him since he’s barely played but how many times will he give up the play before he gets it right? Also, from my perspective, he wasn’t close to picking up the DB. His only movement was his head moving, which worries me that even if he recognizes it he’s already lost once he starts his inside move due to the stunt.

The pro game is completely different from the college game, especially at BYU.  That's why BC should have been starting and playing a LOT more.  

Another thing is the lack of communication.  Without good communication, the OL will struggle.  Because we've been playing shuffle the OL since August, there's next to zero chemistry, no one really knows what/how to communicate in our offense (that's a coaching issue).

BC has to improve.  But the only way that will happen is via reps and better coaching.  Is he a better option than some of these other draft guys?  Nope.  I'd be thrilled if we could draft a true franchise LT, but it's going to come down to coaching, either way.

Rhule and his incompetent staff need to go.  Period.

• Pie 1