• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From worst record to Superbowl in 2 seasons

NAS

If you can't set the foundation to compete in 2 years, you have the wrong coach/gm.

Year 1 is coach/gm pairing and finding the core leaders. Year 2 is surrounding them with complimentary talent. Year 3 is being in the contender talk. When you trip up, you start all over again. When you succeed, you can tackle the more difficult task of a decade of success.

If you go with a plan that is close to a decade, you will miss every window you have with the talent the team has managed to attain. Thought most would have to realize that after the Gettleman experience of so many missed windows and a waste of talent.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

When did they hire their new coach and what was their record when they got him? I mean we have been “rebuilding” for the past 6 years otherwise… It’s more like a 3 year process for their Super Bowl, tore it down in 2019 and were terrible, drafted Burrow and turned it around very quickly. 

Um, Zac Taylor was 6-25-1 in his first two seasons with the Bengals. This after several a seasons of 6 and 7 wins each. 

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Holy fug with the 4 chan arguments

You try so hard to downplay the Bengals accomplishments but you were high on something off that Darnold trade. Oof.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:27 PM, Panthercougar68 said:

Josh Allen and Sam Darnold both have very similar numbers their rookie seasons...Allen's have gone up but so has the team around him...Darnold's have trended down but so has the team around him....wonder if there is a connection 🤔

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Cdparr7 said:

Understandable. But isn’t the whole purpose to win a super bowl? 

Yep.  I haven’t seen a single Bucs fan say they’d rather be competitive year after year with just a chance to win a championship over sucking every 20 years and then winning one 

• Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I was wrong on Darnold cool beans. The argument here is that this was a quick turnaround for the bengals...it was not a quick turnaround.

The argument is that a franchise QB changes everything and can elevate other areas around them. And more often than not if you want one you have to sack up and draft him. The Panthers brass are either afraid of rookie QB's or they just don't know how to evaluate the position. Either way mediocrity is all we have for the time being. But keep trying to convince yourself it takes seven years I guess.

Edited by frankw

5 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

Um, Zac Taylor was 6-25-1 in his first two seasons with the Bengals. This after several a seasons of 6 and 7 wins each. 

2019 he was 2-14 which was terrible and allowed him to get Burris. 2020 he was 4-12 (Burrow got hurt) and year 3 he was 10-7 and in the Super Bowl. That’s a 3 year turnaround, which is all I am saying. I’m not ever saying Taylor is a great coach, but it took 3 years to get to the big game because he drafted a great QB. Quick turnarounds are possible, but you have to get a QB which is usually fine by drafting one. 

• Beer 1

Just now, frankw said:

The argument is that a franchise QB changes everything and can elevate other areas around them. And more often than not if you want one you have to sack up and draft him. The Panthers brass are either afraid of rookie QB's or they just don't known how to evaluate the position. Either way mediocrity is all we have for the time being. But keep trying to convince yourself it takes seven years I guess.

We wanted Burrow and Cincy said no trade. We wanted Herbert and no one wanted to trade. We wanted Stafford and he Said no. We can see the talent but not acquire the talent, Rhule is not going to tank. The biggest issue was keeping Marty who also didn't want to tank to save his job early on.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

2019 he was 2-14 which was terrible and allowed him to get Burris. 2020 he was 4-12 (Burrow got hurt) and year 3 he was 10-7 and in the Super Bowl. That’s a 3 year turnaround, which is all I am saying. I’m not ever saying Taylor is a great coach, but it took 3 years to get to the big game because he drafted a great QB. Quick turnarounds are possible, but you have to get a QB which is usually fine by drafting one. 

Agree. Rhule is only on year two though. His two year record is better than that of a guy who will be coaching in the Super Bowl on 13 Feb, yet everyone here wants to act like Rhule has no chance at turning the ship around. 

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

We wanted Burrow and Cincy said no trade. We wanted Herbert and no one wanted to trade. We wanted Stafford and he Said no. We can see the talent but not acquire the talent, Rhule is not going to tank. The biggest issue was keeping Marty who also didn't want to tank to save his job early on.

You can thank David Tepper for Hurney sticking around longer than he should have. And if Carolina doesn't win five meaningless yet very consequential games with Kyle Allen we are in the drivers seat for Joe Burrow. We could have had the #1 pick the next year too but no we had to throw 30 million dollars at Teddy Bridgewater for one season because Joe Brady and Matt Rhule had to have him. We are in no position to trash Taylor and the Bengals.

• The D 1

6 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

Rhule is only on year two though. His two year record is better than that of a guy who will be coaching in the Super Bowl on 13 Feb, yet everyone here wants to act like Rhule has no chance at turning the ship around. 

One of those coaches you mentioned can identify talent at the QB position and the other traded for Sam Darnold and just signed PJ Walker to another deal. My goodness some of ya'll are delusional. I think that's enough for one night lmao.

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, PandaMan said:
20 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Understandable. But isn’t the whole purpose to win a super bowl? 

Yep.  I haven’t seen a single Bucs fan say they’d rather be competitive year after year with just a chance to win a championship over sucking every 20 years and then winning one 

Over 1/3rd of ALL teams in the NFL (12) have never won a Super Bowl...

...and 9 teams have won 71% of all the Super Bowls played...

...in the modern era the Buccaneers are truly ELITE🙌