• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Worst Kept Secret at the Senior bowl (Panthers Interest in Pickett)

ncfan

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Picketts line was good, and he had one very, very good receiver... But he looks very good moving around and has imo an underrated arm on this board.

I don't hate him in the least.

My issue is that I do not trust Rhule to properly evaluate him because of the college connection...

It’s the same thing everyone was saying about Mac. If they don’t have cannons for arms the Huddle doesn’t think they can make it in the NFL. Pickett isn’t my top choice, but he is good at extending plays and making his reads. Seems pretty cerebral kind of like a Mac Jones that can scramble better and maybe has a stronger arm. It’s like you said though, will Rhule develop him properly and create an offense around his strengths like the Pats did with Mac? Doubt it…

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

It’s the same thing everyone was saying about Mac. If they don’t have cannons for arms the Huddle doesn’t think they can make it in the NFL. Pickett isn’t my top choice, but he is good at extending plays and making his reads. Seems pretty cerebral kind of like a Mac Jones that can scramble better and maybe has a stronger arm. It’s like you said though, will Rhule develop him properly and create an offense around his strengths like the Pats did with Mac? Doubt it…

Guess what Mac will never win a SB, only reason he looked good was because they had a hell of a run game and great defense. He’s not going to be a top 10 qb ever

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He didn't declare until his fifth year? If he was NFL material he would have declared or drawn NFL eyes way before being a fifth year player. Upside is missing.

13 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Guess what Mac will never win a SB, only reason he looked good was because they had a hell of a run game and great defense. He’s not going to be a top 10 qb ever

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Super Bowls. Jimmy G had a shot this year. What are you going by for top 10? I mean he looked solid and was a rookie. Is he limited? Sure, but you can still cater an offense around his accuracy, and ability to quickly process a defense. 

3 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

He didn't declare until his fifth year? If he was NFL material he would have declared or drawn NFL eyes way before being a fifth year player. Upside is missing.

He was a mid round pick before this past year. He thought he was better than that because he played on a bad ankle that year so he returned his 5th year and proved himself right. Can’t really fault him for that…

23 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I don't really give a sh-t about arm strength as long as it's adequate.

The job isn't to throw a football over a mountain. It's to throw it to a specific spot.

Accuracy will always trump arm strength.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't really give a sh-t about arm strength as long as it's adequate.

The job isn't to throw a football over a mountain. It's to throw it to a specific spot.

Accuracy will always trump arm strength.

Exactly. Smart QBs can use anticipation and trajectory to get the ball down the field to their deeper targets. Brees was never known for his arm strength, but was adequate enough and very accurate. Peyton was smart enough to run an offense to Brees’s strengths.

49 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From earlier...

No surprise Pickett did well with the interviews since he was the oldest QB at the Senior Bowl and had played for 5 years.  He should be the most polished and mature.  

The big question is whether he's topped out or if there's more room for him to grow as a player.   He'll be 24 starting his first NFL preseason camp.  

• Pie 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:32 PM, CRA said:

No.  We have 1 pick in the top 100.  

Pickett is the definition of a desperate team doing desperate things.   If you watched him for the last 5 freaking years in college.  Nothing says he is worth a top 10 pick gamble.  Every QB in the last draft that went in the first round was a better prospect. 

It's likely going got prove to be Rhule's final parting gift as well as the kiss of death for his tenure here.

He has the previous connection.  He's the smartest guy in the room according to himself and we've seen this movie before *ahem* Darnold! *cough* so just go ahead and prepare yourself...  he will be the pick and Rhule will be fired.

Thanks Tepper.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

If his ceiling is Mac Jones and we passed on Mac Jones because there were better players at positions of need I don't see why we'd reach for Pickett. Logically speaking. 

Unfortunately this is somebody Rhule knows intimately so there's that love affair. 

I hope they go younger.