• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Borrego and Bouknight get into it

Captain Morgan

And in defense of JB's rotations, most of the lineups are to try and mitigate how we have 20 guards and our best big is not a true center. Bouk only makes sense out when the others are cold and they need a shooting spark, and there's so many shooters on this team that it's rare.  

• Flames 1

36 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

If you honestly believe that this team is just marginally better than Clifford's horncats there's no reasoning with you my friend. There's no question the franchise is on the come up a lot fans just refuse to give JB any credit for it. The idea that the team just improved like that in a vacuum and is now being held back by bad coaching is silly to me. 

I've said the same about MJ criticism for years. When the going gets tough "Jordan micromanages and is too cheap" when they're doing well it's because the GM's great and he got out of the way.Judge these guys by the results they produce not your preconceptions of them. 

When I say marginally better I am referring to can we compete in the playoffs with some of the best teams. Right now we are going to be lucky to get in and our window of opportunity within the conference is not getting easier. Think about a team like the Hawks who went as far as they did with an interim head coach last season. I don't think coaching is the only thing holding this team back by any means we know how bad the franchise has been. This is a young team we have a 20 year old who is one of our centerpieces. But if we didn't believe in him or Bouknight why did we draft them? Other teams are getting nice returns out of young players they've recently drafted. It's up to Borrego and Mitch to find the balance to get us on track. But first we must get past this baffling inconsistency and that is on both effort and coaching.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

And in defense of JB's rotations, most of the lineups are to try and mitigate how we have 20 guards and our best big is not a true center. Bouk only makes sense out when the others are cold and they need a shooting spark, and there's so many shooters on this team that it's rare.  

I agreed with a lot of your responses until this one. The team has four guards, Ish, Terry, LaMelo, and Bouk. Well, five if you count Cody Martin, though he plays mostly SF. Forward is where the team has a logjam. McDaniels, Bridges, Washington, Hayward, Thor, Oubre, Martin, and Jones. If you want to say Plumlee is more a 4 than a 5, then toss another onto the pile.

Also, there have been several games this season where everyone went cold that JB had in the rotation, especially from three. Instead of giving Bouknight, or one of the other rookies, a chance to see if he could create a spark JB just kept running with his normal rotations.

The streakiness is why I'm not upset that none of the lads were selected as an all-star. There have been too many games where all of them have disappeared more than once and none of them have the name recognition to counter the production issues yet. LaMelo and Miles will get there though. I could see one, if not both of them, take that step next season.

• Beer 1

PJ is who I was talking about. Definitely our best center but teams with any size are a problem for us without Plumlee or Richards on the court. Everything revolves around covering up our weakness at the 5 cuz you either go with PJ and get bullied by bigger teams or pray that Plumlee decides to be an NBA player that night

Bouknight’s the worst passer of the guards and maybe the third best shooter in his current state, there’s just not a lot moments to justify him in the lineup when we’re floating around .500. And I disagree, whenever I’ve seen him get minutes it’s either in garbage time or because we needed someone to start scoring.

I think he’ll be fine though. Even this scene pales in comparison to Malik’s immaturity here.

Edited by MechaZain

Told everyone last season he should've been gone.  Rotations have always been poo and he has always played favorites that get minutes over more deserving players.  Also, can probably count on one hand where he drew up a play that actually worked out of a timeout or stoppage.

I guess he has been ok at player development but thats hard to guage from the outside because a lot of these guys may have developed along the same trajectory regardless of who the coach was. 

Also, between this and MJ getting up to walk out after almost blowing the Lakers game, I'm guessing he already has one foot out the door.  You can't blow having the #1 offense in the league and playing so badly you might not make the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Bouknight is part of a trade package. He is feeling more and more like Malik Monk

Malik Monk just scored 29 points for Lebron’s Lakers and led them to a key win.

The game before he had 21 points, 7 boards, and 7 assists.

And before that he had 33 points, 10 boards, 5 assists.

This is on a league minimum $1.7 million contract.

We will end up regretting letting that dude go.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Bouknight is part of a trade package. He is feeling more and more like Malik Monk

Stupid. If the Hornets want to be the joke of the NBA and go back to the Bobcats days that would be a great way to get there.

4 hours ago, HardcoreHokie said:

this is an apples to oranges argument..

no way Monk resigns with us on a league minimum deal.. he prob woulda been closer to Oubre's deal.. and I'd rather have Oubre for 12m @ year.. he actually plays D..

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

that is exactly what I thought when i watched the clip.. i dont want to give the kid away - but I'd be more open to listening to offers for him or packages that involve him now.. for sure

5 hours ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Letting Monk go had nothing to do with ability to play. There are no regrets and this team never thought twice about it. Do some research on why Malik was let go. I liked Monk too, but I'm not shocked or regretting letting him walk.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, frankw said:

Borrego is 114-142. You're over there talking like this man is Gregg Popovich. More like another Steve Clifford tbh 🤷‍♂️

Steve Clifford is probably the best coach in Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets history, when you consider his results and what he had to work with. Bristow had LJ and Zo, Cowens had Rice and Mason. Borrego being Clifford would be fantastic.

Unfortunately he's just another forgettable guy who got a contract extension as reward for accomplishing absolutely nothing.

This is the 2011 Carolina Panthers of basketball, only with a worse coach.

- high-powered, exciting offense that puts up points in bunches, at least 9 out of 10 times
- young superstar energizing the city, fan base and sport as a whole (even living in the same place as Cam)
- spotty-at-best defense
- struggles mightily to hold leads and to win close games

• Pie 1