• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nostalgia Bomb.

Ivan The Awesome

11 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Flame away, but Jake Delhomme was still the greatest Panther. Dude needs a statue. (But not one with the ripped pants...)

Cam won game after game because he was such a distinct and unique talent on the field. Powerful arm, huge size, one of the best open field runners to ever play the game. He could become Superman and stay that way for an entire game. 

Jake, however, could drag a team out of the mud, lift them all up and grind out tough win after tough win. He literally was at his best when things got their toughest. He could read and manipulate defenses, he could call protections with the best of them and more than anything, the dude believed in his teammates and elevated them. He doesn't get enough credit for Smitty winning the receiving triple crown one year and then Moose getting close to it the following season when Smitty was injured. When it was over, though, it went bad fast as these things often do. We remember too much of that Arizona game and the following season, and not enough of when he was the guy that always, always, always gave us a shot to win.

Not going to knock your opinion but for the same intangibles you praise Jake for, Cam has been equally underrated for his entire career. Routinely judged on running ability and not the entirely of how he affected  the game. 

This is just my opinion also. But I think Jake got away with a lot in his prime because people underrate just how special his arm talent was. I would  respectfully disagree with your notion that he could read the field with the best of them. Rather, I think I he was above average at it and had the arm talent to force the wrong reads and tight window throws. But the way he could make throws happen was indeed insane at times. And he also had massive balls and leadership skills. 

But that’s also why it all came crashing down so hard so fast. Jake either got complacent with Smitty and lost his edge as a QB or he quite literally could not make the throws he once could and didn’t know how to compensate for it.  He obviously wasn’t reading the field in the 08 playoffs or the 09 season. And even before his injury it seemed like he was always riding that edge of a huge play or a costly one.

For this reason I think the media as a whole overrates the QB position. You can be smartest person in the room , understand all the concepts etc. But if you don’t have the talent, the touch, throwing skill, or the nerves, you will fail. 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Not going to knock your opinion but for the same intangibles you praise Jake for, Cam has been equally underrated for his entire career. Routinely judged on running ability and not the entirely of how he affected  the game. 

This is just my opinion also. But I think Jake got away with a lot in his prime because people underrate just how special his arm talent was. I would  respectfully disagree with your notion that he could read the field with the best of them. Rather, I think I he was above average at it and had the arm talent to force the wrong reads and tight window throws. But the way he could make throws happen was indeed insane at times. And he also had massive balls and leadership skills. 

But that’s also why it all came crashing down so hard so fast. Jake either got complacent with Smitty and lost his edge as a QB or he quite literally could not make the throws he once could and didn’t know how to compensate for it.  He obviously wasn’t reading the field in the 08 playoffs or the 09 season. And even before his injury it seemed like he was always riding that edge of a huge play or a costly one.

For this reason I think the media as a whole overrates the QB position. You can be smartest person in the room , understand all the concepts etc. But if you don’t have the talent, the touch, throwing skill, or the nerves, you will fail. 

Well said and I love both of the guys, they are paragons of what being a Panther is. In the end, injuries spelled the demise of both of their games, with a couple of years of riding the last of their ability/reputation into the sunset. 

Sad, but true, that once a QB injures that throwing arm/shoulder, it's probably the end for them. Let's try to remember both guys for their days in the sun, rather than the gloomier ones at the end.

Whatever anyone can say about either Jake or Cam, they always, always, always made the games interesting here. 

• Pie 2

On 2/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, WarPanthers89 said:

All the feels. I can’t wait to have  pride in the team again like we did during this run. Such a magical time.

We’ll see each other in 2029, after the Jay-Z run has faded, and Tepper admits he was wrong. Sadly, might still take more time to get back to even playoffs after the next regime picks up the trash left behind. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1