• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason finally here. Let's get down to business.

Zod

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I agree, alot of times moving back is harder than people think.  Honestly, I think this year's draft will have more teams looking to move back than normal.  Its not a top-heavy class but overall, there is some depth in the first round, that along with a weak QB class I think we see a lot of teams trying to move down.

In regard to fair offer, depending on how far we move down a 2nd can easily be fair.

Going from 6 to 10 would get you a later 2nd.  

My gut tells me Fitt is going to trade out for pennies on the dollar to make up for the shitty shitty Darnold trade

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sadly, already confirmed by more than one source that Rhule still has full roster control. It's written into his contract.

(Tepper is a numbskull)

Rhule my have had roster control written into his contract, but that only lasts as long as the contract does.

Tepper could have easily told him  "Give up some (or all) of your roster control or your contract ends today."   Which would have been motivation for Rhule to sign a revised contract giving up that power.   Even with all the guaranteed $$ no coach wants to be thrown out of a job and be seen as a public failure.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

There a long way to go before training camp.  Here's where my arm-chair idiot with a keyboard thoughts are:

2. I'd like to see some solid pros come in.  I don't think we're going to be paying out of this world cash for FAs.  There's just not the room.  We need to pick up some competent OL who can be coached well by our OL coach.  Unless something crazy happens, BC is our LT for 2022.

2a. Who do we keep?  Pick two: Reddick, Gilmore, Jackson.  It's going to depend on what the FA market is, but we'll see.  Ideally, we should be able to keep two of the three.  The rest are mostly JAGs to be honest.

3. Trade down into the Mid first.  Look, there are a lot of talented players out there, and teams do dumb stuff annually.  I'd love for the panthers to trade from 6 to 15ish and pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick, both would be amazing.  Then we can still pick an impact player, or Tyler Lindebaum - which would be a great impact player!

4. QB - Look Matt, you wanted TB, and he underperformed.  You spent a fair amount of draft capital on Darnold.  I think it's time you coached your boy up.  Since Matt plays patty cake with Sam's criticims, it's time for Matt to own Sam Darnold's play.  If it gets him fired, then he gets fired.  He made his bed and now he can sleep in it.

This leaves us with: 1 - a Solid (hopefully) OL, 2 - some good pieces on the D, and 3 - a good opportunity to see if one of our former HCs can right the ship.  I'm rooting for your Wilkes!

2 and 2a: Do the Panthers really have the cash to bring in free agents and keep two of Reddick, Gilmore, and Jackson? It's probably going to end up being a re-sign our guys or bring in free agents scenario. Personally, I think re-signing Jackson would be a big mistake. He's never played well and only gave the effort he did this year because he is trying to get paid. Let him be another team's mistake. Reddick may have played himself out of the Panthers' price range. Gilmore? Too many younger guys waiting for playing time to overpay a vet on the downside of his career. If he'd sign a very team friendly, short deal to stay home, sure. Otherwise, let him walk too.

3: I think trading down would be a mistake. Too many teams will take those top Iline prospects if the Panthers are others are dumb enough to pass on them. I also think Linderbaum will be a top ten pick. He's the best center prospect to come along in years and is considered the top Oline prospect in the draft. Just as ATL took a TE in the top five last year when people said that just wasn't done, some team will take him early this year. The teams with two top ten picks are in prime position to do so too.

4: I've said for a while now that I think the Panthers do the stupid thing and pass on the top Oline prospects to take a QB. It's just the sort of thing this team does.

I also think Rhule will be here to see a year 4. The team will probably win a couple more games so he can claim improvement if nothing else and Tepper will go along with it.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Build the line. Get Tyler Linderbaum in the first, don't get all tricksy and trade back just snag him, and set the center of the line for the next decade. He's going to get bigger, but you won't find a better skillset and ceiling out there in free agency.

I think he's going in the top ten. Teams are showing they care about the Oline now more than they have in recent years and it's been said Linderbaum is the top Oline prospect in the draft in addition to being the best center prospect in years.

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Eagles signed Jordan Mailata to a contract extension and they have Lane Johnson. I would call about Andre Dillard who played well last year when Mailata was injured. In 340 pass protection snaps he gave up only one sack. Might be a target if the price is right 

Fitts said during the season that teams weren't willing to trade any Olinemen. If the Eagles would trade him, the price would probably be too high.

• Beer 1

I am really hopeful that James Campen, the new OL coach, will lead to much more success.  Campen has coached multiple OL who got Pro Bowl invites so the man knows his stuff.

As a consequence I am confident Campen can sort out Brady Christensen and Deonte Brown.  Christensen has the best chance to be starting in 2022.  Maybe Brown is a situational player (jumbo package short yardage) and a backup.  Which would be fine. 

Add to that an OL draft pick at #6 - preferably an LT.  It they are all gone by pick 6 (which very well could happen) draft Center Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa.  Bottom line is that the Panthers add a blue chip talent on the OL who starts immediately. 

Then add one FA interior linemen.  Two would be better but even one helps tremendously as an instant starter that Campen is confident will play well in his OL system.   One FA will not break the Panthers' salary cap.

Then trust Campen find one vet OL on the Panthers roster who can be coached up and become an OK starter.  Not the second coming of Jonathan Ogden but somebody who's minimally adequate. 

All of that (which is very doable) gives the Panthers an OL that is OK (which would be a HUGE improvement over last year).  And an OL that would get better over the season as the 2021 and 2022 rookies got more playing time.

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I think he's going in the top ten. Teams are showing they care about the Oline now more than they have in recent years and it's been said Linderbaum is the top Oline prospect in the draft in addition to being the best center prospect in years.

Grab him since he will be there. Take the pick and don't worry about what anyone else says, just get that line in place, young and able. If the new coordinators and coaches can do their thing with them, Rhule might be able to save his own job. If he goes QB first, then it's over for him before week six.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

After seeing the beating Joe Burrow took last night I would be inclined to take a top lineman at #6. Rhule screwed us here by not playing BC enough to determine where he should be playing in 2022 (LT, or LG). "If" we knew BC could play LT, I'd take Linderbaum at center. I know some are gonna rail about "positonal value" at #6. But here me out.

During the last quarter of the season our main protection issue was up the gut. The interior line was TERRIBLE. You can't allow a QB to take a pass rush right up the gut. Edge protection is vital, but a solid interior will at least allow you to step up to avoid the defensive ends. If the interior line is in shambles, you can't throw the football...period. Aaron Donald took control of the Super Bowl in the 4th quarter. He's a DT and he almost always comes right up the middle. The Bengals lost last night because they couldn't control him. Donald even made the big stop run on the 3rd and 1 that led to the final stop on the next play. A solid prospect like Linderbaum could anchor our line for the rest of the decade. But, we don't know where BC works best so I definitely see the argument for taking a first round LT.

However, I can at least see the rationale for taking a QB (Pickett) at 6. If we knew Pickett would be 75% as good as Burrow, I think most of us would agree he's worth the #6 draft choice. He put up some good numbers last year. My biggest complaint with him isn't his hand size or arm strength, but the caliber of his competition. The ACC ain't the SEC! Burrow shows that a great QB makes the entire team better just by being on the field and can "almost overcome" any team deficiency. If Pickett is that type of guy, we could put him out there in 2022 (he can't be that much worse than what we fielded at QB in 2021), get him some experience, and try to have the O-line rebuilt by his sophomore year.

PS--Mad props for Burrow (and Roger Staubach). Both guys were beat to death in their Super bowl losses Yet, both QB's still had a chance to win their games on their last game possession despite playing against superior teams.

41 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Fitts said during the season that teams weren't willing to trade any Olinemen. If the Eagles would trade him, the price would probably be too high.

Yep I remember that, but that was during the season at the trade deadline in which Dillard was playing due to injuries. Maybe things change for them in the offseason and maybe not. I would call to check at least

25 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I am really hopeful that James Campen, the new OL coach, will lead to much more success.  Campen has coached multiple OL who got Pro Bowl invites so the man knows his stuff.

As a consequence I am confident Campen can sort out Brady Christensen and Deonte Brown.  Christensen has the best chance to be starting in 2022.  Maybe Brown is a situational player (jumbo package short yardage) and a backup.  Which would be fine. 

Add to that an OL draft pick at #6 - preferably an LT.  It they are all gone by pick 6 (which very well could happen) draft Center Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa.  Bottom line is that the Panthers add a blue chip talent on the OL who starts immediately. 

Then add one FA interior linemen.  Two would be better but even one helps tremendously as an instant starter that Campen is confident will play well in his OL system.   One FA will not break the Panthers' salary cap.

Then trust Campen find one vet OL on the Panthers roster who can be coached up and become an OK starter.  Not the second coming of Jonathan Ogden but somebody who's minimally adequate. 

All of that (which is very doable) gives the Panthers an OL that is OK (which would be a HUGE improvement over last year).  And an OL that would get better over the season as the 2021 and 2022 rookies got more playing time.

Good post. I'm of the opinion that if we'd have had Campen in 2021, the players on the O-line would have been better just by his presence alone 

• Beer 1

People out here acting like Rhule killed their dog, wtf?

We had a bad year, poo happens. You all were praising Rhule after year 1, now you turned on him because of low expectations.

We could have Coach Bill, and yall would turn on him after one bad year.

Not saying Rhule is good btw, but some of yall are way too emotional about a game where guys break bones over a bouncy ball.

• Pie 1