• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 15 QB's that are candidates for trade.

Ivan The Awesome

8 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That's a pretty big if.  Jimmy G isn't good enough to get the 49ers over the hump, but they're looking at starting him again next season.  They're also in the middle of a window here with player contracts.  That's not a good sign.

If Lance becomes an elite QB after sitting for several years, then that's great for Lance and the 49ers.  It seems like a very steep price to pay to make a very low percentage bet.

You can become a millionaire very quickly by abusing leverage in the stock market.  That doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

So then you agree, it doesn't matter if a QB has to sit for the first 2 years, all that matters is how good they ultimately end up being?

21 minutes ago, Mage said:

So then you agree, it doesn't matter if a QB has to sit for the first 2 years, all that matters is how good they ultimately end up being?

In a vacuum, yes I do agree.  You wanna burn any pick you already have on a QB that's 2 years on the bench from being elite?  Go for it.  That's obviously going to be worth it every time, even if the pick is 1st overall.  The cost of simply drafting a guy with a pick you already have is relatively cheap.  The rookie pay scale has really made it that way.

If you look at any other position, taking a guy in the 1st round that isn't ready to play is madness.  But I suppose QB today is probably the exception to that.  It just wasn't that long ago teams were letting more raw QB prospects fall to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.  So maybe that's just my age showing.

I think for this 49ers team, it doesn't seem like it was a good decision.  The 49ers to me are similar to the Rams before getting Stafford.  They have a very strong roster, but their QB isn't good enough to win the big one.  But that roster isn't going to be around for very long.

To me, that's not a prescription to go sell the farm for a guy that's 2 years away.  Now they're not going to have those picks to potentially replace players they can't afford to keep over the next 2 years.

I'm just pointing out the crazy bet that the 49ers made on this guy.  There's plenty of guys that have shown elite potential as prospects and never fulfilled that in the NFL.  In hindsight, any winning bet was worth it.  I'm just not convinced they thought it would be 2 years when they drafted him.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's been said by one source that he's "a year away from being a year away".

Similar comments have come from others 

I have heard the same. Still, his best learning will be on the field. Hand the ball off and make some quick throws. Even as a raw prospect that is a doable bar in year 2. 

On 2/26/2022 at 2:14 PM, PNW_PantherMan said:

Imagine trading multiple future 1st round picks to take a guy 3rd overall and bench him for 2 years.  That's just lunacy.  You don't draft a guy in the top 5 if he's not ready to play for another 2 seasons.  If he was that raw, he should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Actually,  it's a pretty good position to be in, and to be able to groom a young talent before throwing him to the wolves. 

I know it's uncommon these days, but that's how it use to be done.