• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Laid-Off

fitty76

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

damn sorry man - welp your job is now finding a job. Get that resume together and start throwing out those applications. What industry you in?

I'm in the mortgage industry.  This is actually the first time I've ever been laid off.  Still pissed about the not getting the PTO pay out.  

9 hours ago, fitty76 said:

Dickhead company laid me off last week.  No severance.  Not PTO payout.  40 hours of PTO gone.  

Might want to check with HR about any PTO and ask why you aren’t getting it.  As to getting laid off it happens to everyone and is almost always a numbers game and has little to do with performance.  You will almost certainly find something soon and it will probably be more rewarding 

Edited by Shocker

5 hours ago, fitty76 said:

I'm in the mortgage industry.  This is actually the first time I've ever been laid off.  Still pissed about the not getting the PTO pay out.  

I'm sure you'll be fine. I know it hurts right now but it's usually a very good time to take some self-care time and reflect on your life and career. I know lots of people who have gotten laid off and ended up getting better paid jobs in healthier situations. 

20 minutes ago, hepcat said:

lucky y'all, in TX it's an at-will employment state and there's no laws requiring employers to pay out accrued PTO

Wow, that sucks. Shitty on Texas not to have that in law and shitty on the company not to pay it out regardless of the law. Don't worry though, the executives will surely have fat bonuses this quarter. 😞

20 hours ago, fitty76 said:

What do you do, and what are you qualified to do in the mortgage industry.

Where do you live and where do you want to live.

21 hours ago, Verge said:

On the plus side, you probably got laid off at the best time, lots of opportunity. 

Definitely. Not only that but wages are increasing as well. A lot of are realizing they need to pay to keep good people, and those paying poo are struggling in a time when there are tons of options.

Not saying everything is roses, but not the worst time to be looking by a long shot.