• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Liberty QB Malik Willis met with the Panthers

MechaZain

Not an apples to apples parallel, but I've talked myself into taking Willis at 6 mirroring the Hornets taking LaMelo in the draft. There are questions, it may take time, etc...but it's the homerun potential pick. If Willis works, he's the highest ceiling guy in the draft. 

At this point, we have to swing for the fences as a franchise. Until you find the franchise QB, it doesn't matter. Taking a swing at the homerun pick for a couple years still costs a helluva lot less than trading for an established franchise guy. It's obviously risky, but it's the play that we may need to make (as long as OL is addressed in FA).

Doesn't mean Willis is who I want at 6, I still like an OT there if we don't trade down, but it's an exciting pick that a dying franchise might need to make.  Does it make sense for Rhule? Nope.  But that makes me like it even more. 

• Pie 8

12 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Not an apples to apples parallel, but I've talked myself into taking Willis at 6 mirroring the Hornets taking LaMelo in the draft. There are questions, it may take time, etc...but it's the homerun potential pick. If Willis works, he's the highest ceiling guy in the draft. 

At this point, we have to swing for the fences as a franchise. Until you find the franchise QB, it doesn't matter. Taking a swing at the homerun pick for a couple years still costs a helluva lot less than trading for an established franchise guy. It's obviously risky, but it's the play that we may need to make (as long as OL is addressed in FA).

Doesn't mean Willis is who I want at 6, I still like an OT there if we don't trade down, but it's an exciting pick that a dying franchise might need to make.  Does it make sense for Rhule? Nope.  But that makes me like it even more. 

Yep. You have to keep swinging until you get one. I agree too about the OL. Drafting OL is never a wasted pick (assuming they don’t bust like Little).

• Pie 1

Do not Like Willis personally. Can't read field well, misses opportunities to throw at guys open downfield in favor of scrambling/adlibbing, Poor ball placement, and shrank against better competition in college.

His game reminds me of Johnny Manziel - Backyard football that doesn't play well in rhythm as a QB in a pro offense. From what I hear his personality is the exact opposite of Manziel though, so lord knows he might be able to work through his deficiencies. 

• Pie 2

This guy is a disaster at QB. Can't read a defense. Horrible accuracy. He's a bargain bin Lamar Jackson, who couldn't win a big game if you spotted him two touchdowns. But even Lamar is too high of a praise, he's more comparable to Manziel, who looked way better in college.

Edited by SnowPanther
  • Pie 2

9 minutes ago, SnowPanther said:

This guy is a disaster at QB. Can't read a defense. Horrible accuracy. He's a bargain bin Lamar Jackson, who couldn't win a big game if you spotted him two touchdowns. But even Lamar is too high of a praise, he's more comparable to Manziel, who looked way better in college.

Agreed.

Dude is an elite scrambler and he has a cannon arm. Those two traits provide awesome highlight reel plays often, but damn near everything else in his game gives me pause. 

11 hours ago, PantherBoy95 said:

As obvious as that is; I hadn't really thought about how even in the draft he may only make moves for the short-term to save himself.  One would think Fitt and Tepper won't allow that this time.

Fitterer doesn't have the power to overrule him.

Tepper doesn't appear to be inclined.

3 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

100%. I really don't want a QB with this pick but if they must then they gotta go for gold. Pickett would be playing it safe for Rhule's sake.

Biggest hesitation is that I think, like Cam, he'll need good coaching early to iron out the issues or they'll set in stone. 

• Pie 1

Rivera makes the comparison.

“You know what’s interesting about [Willis] in particular, is there are a lot of similar traits to these guys that’ve had success in our league,” Rivera told CBS Sports. “And I was fortunate enough to have drafted one of them in Cam Newton, who’s a very special player.”

“This young man has a tremendous skill set,” Rivera said. “Will some of those things he does translate? Absolutely. Will there be some things he’ll have to learn and develop and grow on? Absolutely. But I can tell you I’ve had the opportunity to interview him. He’s a heck of a young man and he shows he’s got the football acumen you need to be successful in this league.”

On 3/2/2022 at 2:44 PM, stbugs said:

Not saying we are in some great position, just that it never hurts to keep people guessing and thinking they might have to deal with us or move in front of you. Last year was the time to tank and get picks 1-3. If we didn’t like Lance, so what, you’ll get a bounty. 

No one wants to deal with or be around Fat Fhule.

Remember, other teams felt so sorry for our players that they tried to beat us so badly it would get the coach sent back to college.

barney stinson tru GIF