• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers are open to trading Christian McCaffrey and D.J. Moore

TheSpecialJuan

7 minutes ago, Zod said:

Premier edge much more valuable and a WR. 

This ^  Look at free agency every year, always seem to be more quality WRs than edge on the market, and they also tend to go for less.  Also look at the recent drafts, succesfful WRs seem to be coming into the league at a greater rate than other positions, not to mention they seem to a position that gets up to speed quicker.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Even when he's a liability against the run?

Being able to get to the QB might be the most sought after and expensive skill in all of the NFL, outside of playing QB).  Good teams will maximize what he does well and minimize what he doesn't.  Not to mention D-lineman tend to substitute more than other positions so that alone allows you to specialize somewhat with him.

All things being equal Burns is easily our most desirable trade piece.  Of course, there might be a single team that has a much greater need at WR but overall it would be Burns.

On a side note, all of this talk about us having to pay part of CMC's salary is most likely wrong.  Everyone thinks his contract is bad, but for the next team trading for him its not.  We have already paid his signing bonus.

The most a team would be responsible for is one 1yr at $8.4m, his next year's aren't guaranteed in anyway. If he stays healthy and plays great then they can keep him for 3 more years at around $11m a year which is still not to bad for a premier playmaker, but they don't have to keep his at all.  They can just view him as a one year rental for $8.4m

Is there a contending type team out there what would pay CMC $8.4m for one year.  Some team that thinks they are close to a Super Bowl?  The Bills?  Washington?  How much are we paying Thomas?  Robbie?  

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Being able to get to the QB might be the most sought after and expensive skill in all of the NFL, outside of playing QB).  Good teams will maximize what he does well and minimize what he doesn't.  Not to mention D-lineman tend to substitute more than other positions so that alone allows you to specialize somewhat with him.

All things being equal Burns is easily our most desirable trade piece.  Of course, there might be a single team that has a much greater need at WR but overall it would be Burns.

Depends on whether you want to use him as a designs pass rusher or an every down defensive end.

When we used him in the latter role, opposing teams ran all over us.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Depends on whether you want to use him as a designs pass rusher or an every down defensive end.

When we used him in the latter role, opposing teams ran all over us.

any team that trades for Burn's will do so based on his ability to get to the QB.

We were talking about which player would be more valuable in general, not who got ran on the most.

Poll 31 teams, all things being equal which player on our team would be the most desired?

It's nice to have a pass rusher but that doesn't do you much good without any semblance of a real threat from your offense. The Rams have the best pass rusher in years and they didn't finally win the big one until they went all in on their offense. QB and WR run the NFL. Panthers fans are still clinging to their defense first mantra but only seven winning seasons to show for it.

12 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Moore is a #2 WR. Still a starter. Still good. The Panthers have always had #2 WRs starting outside of Muhammad and Smith.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/career-receiving.htm

Revisiting this take. What is your standard for a #1? DJ Moore is already 4th in yards behind only Olsen Moose and 89. Looking at the Panthers receiving history there are two TE's in the top 10 yardage totals and Christian McCaffrey is 6th and Kelvin Benjamin is even in the top 10. The rest of the list outside one or two notable names is just a bunch of guys.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/career-receiving.htm

Revisiting this take. What is your standard for a #1?

I'll answer.  A receiver that makes the important catches on 3rd down and the red zone.  A receiver that regularly creates mismatches and problems for defenses.  The aggregate stats argument doesn't hold a lot of water with me personally.

DJ is a good player and currently the best receiver on the roster. But if we pay him a Kenny Golladay contract I think that's going to be a mistake.

43 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'll answer.  A receiver that makes the important catches on 3rd down and the red zone.  A receiver that regularly creates mismatches and problems for defenses.  The aggregate stats argument doesn't hold a lot of water with me personally.

DJ is a good player and currently the best receiver on the roster. But if we pay him a Kenny Golladay contract I think that's going to be a mistake.

I would definitely like him to bring in more contested catches especially on third down and certainly in the end zone. This is true and is a reasonable expectation no doubt. These do involve other variables though and when your offense is one of the bottom in the league struggles in that regard are amplified. Let's hope we get the opportunity to see DJ with a good QB and a better offensive system. People can have their opinions on him but it would make me sick to see him thriving in another offense with coaches and a QB who can properly utilize him while we go back to the drawing board.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Definitely wasn't last season...

I have never been that impressed with him to be honest.  He sucks against the run, can't come up big on 3rd down and gets pushed completely out of the play regularly.  What is elite about that?

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, frash.exe said:

they’re just making it obvious at this point that the organization is circling the drain, so my question is, have we hit rock bottom yet? or is there more abyss to explore?

There's still more to explore. Rock bottom will probably be when Tepper finally cans Rhule only to replace him with someone just as bad or worse.

13 hours ago, Reebis21 said:

People keep pointing towards his 3 yrs of 1000 yards as if it’s the end all be all. Go look at Kirk Cousin’s stats. Looking at his stats would lead someone to believe he’s good as hell.

I agree with some other posters that DJ is a great #2. But I’ll say this until I’m blue in the face, no Defensive Coordinator is scared of DJ. He’s not consistent and he can’t take over. Yes, he’s had horrific QB play. But he’s also been fed a ton of targets.

He’s not a dog out there. Hardly ever appears fired up about anything. I get it…Marvin Harrison was quiet and calm af. But at the end of the day, he’s not an actual difference maker. As much crap as we give Robby this year, he was our best WR and our only difference maker amongst our WRs last year. 

If DJ wants #2 money, I’m all for it. But if he wants to be paid big time money, it makes no sense given the current state our team is in right now. That money could be spent MUCH wiser. 

Nonsense. I question if you actually watched the games last year, for real

I get we're down bad as a franchise but man, if you guys don't wanna pay DJ Moore you don't wanna pay anyone

On 3/4/2022 at 3:30 PM, TLGPanthersFan said:

Teams that are tanking do this. Either Rhule is being given a restart and no matter if we go 1-16 he will be back for a 4th year, ugh, or he IS a lame duck and the team is trying to build picks to get ready for a new coach in 2023. 

More likely the latter. Either way we are rebuild again after a failed rebuild.