• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reddick's asking price

Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Everytime I see his name, I always think about the Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon where Daffy finds the Arabian treasure but the guard of the treasure keeps chasing Daffy with his scimitar screaming “HASSAN CHOP!”

I think of the twitch emote back in the golden days of twitch/justintv. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

56 minutes ago, Basbear said:

One of the stronger, if not best pools for draft is DE/edge. Like you said Pats just cut Kyle Van Noy and Chandler Jones/Von miller many others are free agents.........i liked reddick and all, buts hes a try-hard 225 edge guy in a deep pool of options form younger to more talent, etc. 

If he gets 15+ I will be very surprised. At times agents can get players in big trouble, this could be a case where they crawl back to the panthers and rhule/finesererrr are like " sorry that 12+ million offer is expired, used up 10 million of it on a Trent Brown.....best we can do is another 1 year 8 million type of deal....i got other calls, bye!"

Van Noy would be a solid pick up 

12 hours ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

If he signs a massive deal with another team we'll get a 3rd round Comp. pick?

Not that we'll use it towards a good player but it's the thought that counts right?

12 hours ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Only if we sign less free agents than we let get away.

My opinion may be in the minority, but I've never been able to get excited about acquiring comp picks as a Panthers fan. If a guy is able to get a big deal in FA, that at least means that the guy is viewed as a solid starter by a couple of teams in the league.

Comp picks are only worth 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th round compensation. Depending on the position, the players picked at the back end of the 3rd round (or later) probably aren't going to be as good as the player that left the team unless you have a player groomed to take their place. You can replace RB's, guards, linebackers, kickers, etc. with 3rd round talent, but it's a lot harder to replace CB's, pass rushers, tackles, QB's.

You also need a competent FO to use the properly use the picks. We tend draft guys and don't play them or try to move them to other positions. You also need to have a shrewd scouting department if you intend for the 3-6 round picks to make an impact. Our recent draft history leaves me a bit underwhelmed.

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

My opinion may be in the minority, but I've never been able to get excited about acquiring comp picks as a Panthers fan. If a guy is able to get a big deal in FA, that at least means that the guy is viewed as a solid starter by a couple of teams in the league.

Comp picks are only worth 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th round compensation. Depending on the position, the players picked at the back end of the 3rd round (or later) probably aren't going to be as good as the player that left the team unless you have a player groomed to take their place. You can replace RB's, guards, linebackers, kickers, etc. with 3rd round talent, but it's a lot harder to replace CB's, pass rushers, tackles, QB's.

You also need a competent FO to use the properly use the picks. We tend draft guys and don't play them or try to move them to other positions. You also need to have a shrewd scouting department if you intend for the 3-6 round picks to make an impact. Our recent draft history leaves me a bit underwhelmed.

nobody is expecting the comp pic to replace Reddick.  You can't look at moves in a vacuum like that.

Maybe that 3rd round comp pic turns into a decent starting guard.  With that money saved, plus the money saved by not paying Reddick you can then resign some different edge rusher you drafted with an earlier pick.

With that being said if you have 5 comp picks in reality only one or 2 might work out, but overtime that is value added.  Any quality starter you can get on a rookie contract is money saved that can be spent elsewhere.

Go find a list of the teams that historically have the most comp picks and you will find a pretty high correlation to winning, it's not absolute but it is pretty high.

Fact is you can't keep all of your good players, at the very least if you do lose one you should try to get something in return, either trade them a year early or get a comp pick.

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

nobody is expecting the comp pic to replace Reddick.  You can't look at moves in a vacuum like that.

Maybe that 3rd round comp pic turns into a decent starting guard.  With that money saved, plus the money saved by not paying Reddick you can then resign some different edge rusher you drafted with an earlier pick.

With that being said if you have 5 comp picks in reality only one or 2 might work out, but overtime that is value added.  Any quality starter you can get on a rookie contract is money saved that can be spent elsewhere.

Go find a list of the teams that historically have the most comp picks and you will find a pretty high correlation to winning, it's not absolute but it is pretty high.

Fact is you can't keep all of your good players, at the very least if you do lose one you should try to get something in return, either trade them a year early or get a comp pick.

I don't disagree with anything in your post. But, this guy had 12 sacks last season. Despite the drop-off in the 2nd half of the year those are still impressive numbers. I don't see how we replace that production if he walks. Outside of Burns, we don't appear to have anyone else on the roster capable of bringing that type of pressure. I wouldn't be surprised to see our defensive ranking dip a bit in 2022. Burns may find himself receiving a lot of extra attention as well.

We don't have a lot of picks this year so we can't get a pass rusher in the draft. And, quite frankly this team sucks. I don't think it's going to be easy to lure top FA's at any position to come play in Charlotte. Even if we do get a couple of comp picks, they won't arrive until the 2023 draft.

All that said, Reddick ain't worth 17 million a year.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Granted. I'd just rather that team not be us.

Doesn't seem like we will be at this point.  Fwiw, I think Reddick would be a great piece to have if we felt we were close to challenging for a SB title.  But until we get the qb situation resolved, I don't see much point in signing him for a ton of money.