• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Info on the grand jury proceedings

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

I still dont understand the exempt list, its all rather stupid.

A guy like Hill can beat his son and wife and break his sons arm and never miss a game.

AP beat his son black and blue and is still in the league.

The NFL is a business.  They punish people for making the shield look bad, not because of criminal things they may have done.  That is the law's job.

Edited by Mage
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, La Pantera said:

The Grandjury will not determine, guilt or innocence. Its only there to determine of he's to be charged. IF they charge, it could very well could take a year or more to go to trail(well after he's been traded).

Correct.

Anyone thinking this is a quick process is misguided. If he goes to trial, it could very well be a long time before anything's resolved.

(and that's independent of the civil stuff)

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I hold out some hope the Panthers are not actually entertaining this move.  If they are we are already screwed as a franchise

Is it your opinion that any team trading for Watson would be screwed, or just the Panthers in particular?  Because teams make huge trades all the time, mostly for high 1st round draft picks, but there have been more and more huge trades lately and they don't seem to ever cripple the trading team. 

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Is it your opinion that any team trading for Watson would be screwed, or just the Panthers in particular?  Because teams make huge trades all the time, mostly for high 1st round draft picks, but there have been more and more huge trades lately and they don't seem to ever cripple the trading team. 

My opinion only.  Forget the ridiculous cost I am just against it morally unless he is completely cleared.

If I was the GM and was forced into this trade by the owner I would resign immediately 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 5
  • Flames 2

32 minutes ago, joemac said:

I don't see any other team acting this desperate and desperation breeds opportunity. Other teams can be interested. No other team is likely willing to pay what we are. Houston knows this and isn't going to budge on the negotiations because they don't have to. We played our hand way to early.

• Beer 1

Is is interesting to see (in this day and age I guess) is that two victims have not filed civil but only criminal. Yes you can award restitution in criminal and yes a civil can (and usually recommended) be filed after the fact, but you’d think it’d be lumped in now. It’s more likely 10% of women actually care about legality of it and not the money, while we usually see more examples (obviously) of the other 90%.

Watson definitely didn’t play his odds on that one, having 22 individuals with allegations.

As someone who works in law I would really like to see a lot of the discovery.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I honestly don't see the Panthers getting Watson at this point. I feel like if all 3 parties wanted it to happen it would have happened by now. (For the record, I would like to see him traded to the team)

I suspect we have had an offer (or at least the general framework for one) for quite a while but nothing has happened. That means either the Texans, Watson, or both are dragging their feet for a reason; best case for the Panthers is it's the Texans waiting for criminal charges to be dropped to drive up prices.

I see only a few logical outcomes from the grand jury decision:

• Criminal charges are pursued meaning DWs chances of jail time increase dramatically and he is untradeable. He likely goes on the exempt list at this point.
  • Criminal charges are NOT pursued meaning several other teams jump into the fold. 
    • IF it's the Texans dragging their feet (and not DW) we have a chance as I doubt we get outbid. I doubt this is the case as the Texans are risking getting nothing if criminal charges are pursued.
    • IF it's DW dragging his feet b/c he prefers other destinations then we are just the "other" offer used to bid up the actual winner of DW's services.
Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 1

58 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't see any other team acting this desperate and desperation breeds opportunity. Other teams can be interested. No other team is likely willing to pay what we are. Houston knows this and isn't going to budge on the negotiations because they don't have to. We played our hand way to early.

We really do not know anything about this situation officially.  All we have heard is media speculation and "unnamed sources close to the situation" blah blah blah.  But superstar franchise QBs do not go for cheap, regardless if they have situations like Watson.  You saw what Seattle got for Wilson, so don't be surprised when Watson goes for something along those lines to some team.

I think if we really did offer 3 1sts, 2 2nds and a starter on the defense, Houston would have already grabbed it.  They can't possibly think they can get more.

My guess is the real offer is the 6th, next year's first and second, and Darnold.

The panthers are not as stupid as many folks believe.  But they will roll the dice on occasion.

Everyone points to Darnold as a dumb move.  Trading for him was certainly a risk, but a calculated risk.  He's had his moments in the league.  Panthers thought they could get something out of him and keep the 8th pick. 

The move may have looked a lot better had Horn stayed healthy.  Who knows, maybe the Panthers win the Eagles or Minn game with better corner play.  If Horn plays the whole year, the season may have turned out very differently.  We would still have this year's third rounder as well.  

Horn getting hurt really made the trade look much dumber.

• Pie 1

At his deposition on Friday, Deshaun Watson exercised his fifth-amendment rights for "several" hours under questioning for 22 civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual assault and harassment.

Speaking to Aaron Wilson, Watson lawyer Rusty Hardin said that: "It went fine. He took the Fifth. No lawyer in the universe would allow his client to answer questions while that subject matter is under investigation before the grand jury." The more important question for the clarification of Watson's status will come out with the results of the grand jury meeting. Watson could be criminally charged today, which would likely cut off any chance of a trade resolving his status in the short term.

• Beer 2