• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Maybe I was wrong about KENNY PICKETT after reading these evaluations.

Panthers Rhule

The difference with Herbet and Pickett is Herbet made throws and did things with the football that you only see elite level QBs do. The same thing applies to guys like Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes. Those two guys were drafted high because many believed that with good coaching those amazing highlight throws could become regular occurrences. This ideology was a major factor in Justin Fields falling out of the top 10 last year.

KP was a really good college QB but there isn't enough there to make you think he is going to unlock some hidden potential or make the leap to becoming an elite NFL QB. Same goes for Justin Fields and Mac Jones. What you see is what you get. Good coaching may make them starting caliber QB's but if you are going to draft a guy in the top 10 you want someone who can hopefully become a game changer.

• Beer 1
  • The D 2

4 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

The bad thing is all the Watson talk has made me want Pickett at 6 as the lesser of 2 evils 

If only because he costs a single first and the team can move on much easier.

Frankly, the biggest red flag for me would be the staff's interest in him as a QB. Seems clear to this point that whatever this staff thinks they see in a QB, the reality is the opposite. Not even being dramatic here, as some people just have blind spots (Belichick and WRs as one example). Unfortunately, this one should have put Rhule out of a job by now but here we are.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

I don’t care if we draft Pickett since when Rhule gets fired the new guy is gonna want his guy, especially if we are picking top 10 again…

Sure would be nice to have a decent lineman instead of a Rosen-esque QB situation though.

• Beer 5

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Doesn’t matter if he can’t read a defense. He might have more “talent” than Brady, but it’s meaningless… 

The QB who star at pro days are big bodied guys with cannon arms who can fling the ball all over the field.  Unfortunately those aren't actually the top qualities needed for a successful NFL QB.  The most important things are reading defenses & decision making.  That is only seen on film or with a whiteboard X's and O's talk.   So the whole college QB evaluation process seems kind of biased toward the wrong stuff.   

• Pie 3

10 hours ago, Immaculate said:

Herbert was a talented QB with a strong arm. His problem coming out of college was that he is introvert and not a good leader. Kenny Pickett isn’t Herbert. If you want a QB that has the best chance to be a franchise QB, it’s Malik Willis. I’ll always go with the guy with the arm talent. 

So you would rather have Jamarcus Russel vs chad Pennington.  PJ WALKER over Tom Brady.  Drew Brees over Vick.  I’d rather have a smart accurate qb that makes good decisions 

6 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

The QB who star at pro days are big bodied guys with cannon arms who can fling the ball all over the field.  Unfortunately those aren't actually the top qualities needed for a successful NFL QB.  The most important things are reading defenses & decision making.  That is only seen on film or with a whiteboard X's and O's talk.   So the whole college QB evaluation process seems kind of biased toward the wrong stuff.   

Agreed you need a little of both. Kirk Cousins is great at reading defenses, but lacks some ability that could really make defenses pay. But you are right reading a defense is more important than raw ability. These coaches get overexcited about raw ability because they think they can coach/develop them into reading the defense/the X’s and O’s and sometimes they can (see Allen), but more than not they can’t. Since you can’t coach/develop a QB into having raw ability like arm strength, speed etc they get caught up in the pure potential of these athletically gifted QBs. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Lets go get it Canes said:

So you would rather have Jamarcus Russel vs chad Pennington.  PJ WALKER over Tom Brady.  Drew Brees over Vick.  I’d rather have a smart accurate qb that makes good decisions 

What was Malik’s wonderlic score? 32. Who was the guy the media was raving about how smart he was at the combine? Malik Willis. 

• Beer 1