• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Maybe I was wrong about KENNY PICKETT after reading these evaluations.

Panthers Rhule

I have recently come out in support of Panthers drafting the QB with our 1st pick whether it's at 6 or a little lower but now I'm having second thoughts about this. Were my own evaluations so wrong and uninformed or was I simply biased? I don't know for sure. Perhaps you all can explain to me why I am so off in my evaluation process. Here are just a few examples of evaluations about the young QB. It wasn't hard for me to find them. They are literally the first ones I found. I won't crowd the post with the full evaluations but I will post parts just to make their sentiments abundantly clear. 😕

"It is always a quarterback. There is always (at least) one quarterback in every draft gets way over-drafted because of the immense value of the quarterback position." 

"was an effective, long-term starter  who showed talent and ability in the passing game. He also tested well and interviewed well at the NFL combine."

"who is being pushed up draft boards due to various degrees of wishful thinking and ignorance."

"While it is admirable he has the patience and maturity to go through all of his reads, he is not very fast about it sometimes and has benefited from playing against relatively mediocre defenses"

"But, he’s almost certainly going to get drafted by a top-10 team, and that spells trouble for the young quarterback and the team that drafts him."

Wow, that's some harsh stuff. Obviously, he's not worthy of a top 10 pick and likely will be nothing but a career back up at best. Accept that's not really talking about Kenny Pickett but ......Justin Herbert.

Let's have a look at stats.

KP- 67%, 4,319 yds, 42 tds, 7 int, Run- 233yds, 5 tds

JH- 63.9%, 3,471 yds, 32 tds, 5 int, Run- 50 yds, 4 tds

As we can see, they are very similar with a slight advantage to KP. I bring this up because I think they are similar. Both are 4 year starters. Both are accurate and confident passers. JH has a stronger arm likely and KP is a better runner.

Pickett also compares well statistically with Burrow.

KP- 67%, 4,319 yds, 42 tds, 7 int, Run- 233 yds, 5 tds

JB- 70.4%, 4,611 yds, 47 yds, 19 int, Run- 118 yds, 2 tds

That's comparing him to one of the best college passing seasons ever!!! Look how close that is. I honestly don't see why he isn't being hyped up much more than he is. I think it's because the narrative about this class has been that it's a weak class for 2 years now. This class was evaluated as weak last year and that has hung over it all this season and I think it's affecting opinions.

He's been a leader since his first career start when he lead Pitt to an upset victory over Miami. He had an amazing final season which compares with the likes of the 2 rising stars for the Chargers and Bengals. I'm not guaranteeing results like that but by the stats he looks like he deserves the opportunity. He can battle Sam pre-season and if he needs a little time we can give it to him like Malhomes and Herbert was suppose to but the starter got injured and the rest is history.  We should be super excited that we may have a chance to draft this kid and with the 6th pick!!! I know I am!!!

Now, I know this doesn't mean he will or won't succeed. But QBs like him? They usually do. He has everything you should look for in a young QB. He's a leader, players like him, lots of experience at high level, confident not cocky, accuracy, elusive, good arm and awareness. This is our chance to take the shot and this is the kid to take it on. Draft Kenny Pickett.

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 6
  • Poo 1

Flash in the pan. He’s old. He should have been the best player in the league. He sat out for 4 years before becoming good.

You want a Pickett comp?

Brandon Weeden. Full on career before going back and playing college football against dudes 4-5 years younger than him. 

• Pie 5

Herbert was a talented QB with a strong arm. His problem coming out of college was that he is introvert and not a good leader. Kenny Pickett isn’t Herbert. If you want a QB that has the best chance to be a franchise QB, it’s Malik Willis. I’ll always go with the guy with the arm talent. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1