• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett > Malik Willis (at least for us)

janderson20vt

12 hours ago, frankw said:

Five months ago you were all aboard the Howell train now even a QB like Derek Carr would be a waste of our time? Just because you have bought into the mythical "next year" phenom franchise changing QB does not mean there is no discussion to be had. No good quarterbacks with a choice want to play here. In your opinion what are the odds we only need one draft pick to find our next franchise QB?

Yeah sure, when I thought the Panthers might have a pick in the teens I'd have been all for taking a shot on thr local product with good traits but since then I've adjusted my expectations, and see this team for what it is, a young team in a rebuild that has been bitten in the ass by half measures at QB. Look at the AFC playoffs last year and the Super Bowl winner--you need a dude at QB and all these prospects this year are guys with limited ceilings, Howell included. That's called growth, you can discuss these prospects sure but I don't think they're good enough, especially if you're serious about actually being a consistent winner in the future. 

The QBs next year are simply better. And yes, you draft QBs with one pick each. Next year the team will have their first second and third, to my knowledge, that's when you make a play for a signal caller. 

10 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Well said.

Truly elite qb's are rare, and getting one involves a certain amount of luck.  And of all the elite qb's in the NLF right now, only a couple of them were picked in the top 10 (Mahomes and maybe Burrow if he can stay healthy).    

If we draft someone this year and he turns into a Ryan, I would be happy with that.  The trick with that kind of qb is to put the right team around him.    

The AFC is full of elite guys, what are you talking about they're rare? It doesn't take luck, it takes a top fifteen pick. Why settle for a Matt Ryan when you could have better? You want a guy comparable to a qb who choked away the Super Bowl and who's best season was when he was under Kyle Shanahan or someone like Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Kyler Murray, sex pest Watson--the best guys were all top fifteen picks and they're better than the guys coming into the league this year. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev

13 hours ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Didn't Matt Ryan win an MVP?  If Pickett is a more athletic Matt Ryan he is definitely worth it at 6.

He also choked away the Super Bowl to a superior QB and his best season might've been the result of Kyle Shanahan. There's a reason Dak, Matt Ryan, kirk Cousins put up great stats but don't seem to win the big one or have great success in the playoffs. Other teams have better QBs. 

Unfortunately Tepper, Rhule, Fitt, and our other scouts don't know how to evaluate QBs. So we're basically taking a wild guess that Pickett will be good enough to be our franchise QB.

Maybe we take Pickett and he pans out, but he looks like a future clipboard holder. I sure as hell hope not. 

9 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Yeah sure, when I thought the Panthers might have a pick in the teens I'd have been all for taking a shot on thr local product with good traits but since then I've adjusted my expectations, and see this team for what it is, a young team in a rebuild that has been bitten in the ass by half measures at QB. Look at the AFC playoffs last year and the Super Bowl winner--you need a dude at QB and all these prospects this year are guys with limited ceilings, Howell included. That's called growth, you can discuss these prospects sure but I don't think they're good enough, especially if you're serious about actually being a consistent winner in the future. 

The QBs next year are simply better. And yes, you draft QBs with one pick each. Next year the team will have their first second and third, to my knowledge, that's when you make a play for a signal caller. 

I don't have high expectations for this years class but I have accepted our mgmt will likely take a swing anyway. If Rhule fails he will be gone and we'll reset and draft one next year again. But as far as ceilings and comparisons everyone has their own opinion on what traits define an elite QB. I personally do not feel we are in position to dunk on Carr or Ryan. For the time being going from the worst QB to one that could help us compete for playoffs is a fine first step. And I absolutely hate that you guys make me defend Matt Ryan but he is not the only former MVP to choke away a Super Bowl. We did against an inferior QB who was throwing ducks all game. It sucks beyond words when it's your team on the receiving end but it does happen.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

I guess if you’re looking at their skin color, sure

They are both statistically sound QBs that don’t have elite arm strength. Both excelled in reading defenses and carving up the middle of the field. They both are the calm, confident leaders that tend to have support if their locker room. Pickett is more athletic, faster while Jones tends to do better navigating the pocket, Pickett rolls out to buy time. 

• Pie 1