• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers after Duane Brown

Mr. Scot

A lot could change with the cap room we have and free agency before the draft, but if it stays the way it is now, you have the following thoughts:

1. If we don't grab a LT, we have Brady Christensen and could play Bozeman at LG, Elflein at C. 

2.  If we don't grab a QB, we go with Darnold.  

Option 1 gives you a chance.  Option 2 is a wasted season.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

A lot could change with the cap room we have and free agency before the draft, but if it stays the way it is now, you have the following thoughts:

1. If we don't grab a LT, we have Brady Christensen and could play Bozeman at LG, Elflein at C. 

2.  If we don't grab a QB, we go with Darnold.  

Option 1 gives you a chance.  Option 2 is a wasted season.

Sign Brown. Trade back. Acquire a mid round 1st, 3rd and a 2023 1st. Draft a QB somewhere (maybe Howell). Roll with two 1st round picks and a full draft in 2023. If the QB dice roll doesn’t work this year we probably have a top overall 2023 pick and another 1st. Take Stroud…..keep moving. 

• Pie 5

14 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Sign Brown. Trade back. Acquire a mid round 1st, 3rd and a 2023 1st. Draft a QB somewhere (maybe Howell). Roll with two 1st round picks and a full draft in 2023. If the QB dice roll doesn’t work this year we probably have a top overall 2023 pick and another 1st. Take Stroud…..keep moving. 

I agree. Have been doing this in a lot of mocks. I think this is the best approach because in addition to Howell you can still grab a top-10 OT in this draft, or a LB depending on who is BPA in the 2nd or 3rd you pick up.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

This class is just missing the Andrew Luck/Trevor Lawrence number one guy. It really doesn’t matter because we aren’t picking 1st. Burrow was a one year wonder with small hands and limited athletic ability, Herbert has the arm but was a bit of s letdown at Oregon, Murray was too small to play QB all these guys have weaknesses and are gambles. 

This is almost universally regarded by scouts, NFL teams, bobble heads, draf5 guys and ex-players as being a bad QB class. 

It isn't just missing a star, it's largely missing starting caliber NFL players. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've looked pretty heavily into free agent left tackles.

Gotta believe they want to draft a QB.

We are one LT siging away from taking a QB. Since most agree that Pickett is the most pro ready at this point, he seems to be a safe bet

47 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is almost universally regarded by scouts, NFL teams, bobble heads, draf5 guys and ex-players as being a bad QB class. 

It isn't just missing a star, it's largely missing starting caliber NFL players. 

For every one of the experts saying there are no starters in this group, 6th rounder Tom the GOAT Brady says hello. This is also the same site that screamed to the heavens that Herbert was terrible. I wish we had him now

34 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

For every one of the experts saying there are no starters in this group, 6th rounder Tom the GOAT Brady says hello. This is also the same site that screamed to the heavens that Herbert was terrible. I wish we had him now

Planning based on outliers is what Marty Hurney and Matt Rhule try to do. It doesn't work because it's stupid.

This site wasn't screaming Herbert was terrible. That was a few loud voices. There were plenty of us saying he was the best guy in that class.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The only issue I have with drafting a QB is the crew that will be evaluating and ultimately drafting that QB. I don't have much faith after the Teddy and Darnold debacles.

It's an entirely different crew - Brady is the QB Coach (snorts) in Buffalo now.

7 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

They are almost forced to go QB. Especially of they can sign a LT in FA. If that happens I would say there's a 90% chance it's a qb.  If they trade out of the top 10 it could be both if there's any of either left worth a roster spot.

Why are we forced to take  2nd / 3rd round quality QBs in the 1st round?

8 hours ago, unicar15 said:

When I see a ranking of QBs that is all over the place--on some boards, Pickett is the third qb, on some he is #1, for example---I see it as a matter of preference.  If there is no real glaring divides between the first four or five QBs, and we have only one pick, then yes, trade back. 

I get the feeling that we are "in love" with one of the top 2 QBs--and if so, I doubt we trade back.  While I would guess that QB is Pickett, I can see Rhule getting wide eyed over Willis.  Me?  I can't decide, but I am more interested in the long term than the short term. 

I rank the QBs this way on March 24:

1. Pickett and Willis  A-

3. Corral B+

4. Howell B

5. Ridder  C

6. Punt

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It’s considered bad because there us no true number one and a large drop off after 5/6. Once you get past Howell/Ridder there isn’t much NFL caliber guys period. I just don’t think this really affects us where we are picking. It’s a bad year to be picking number 1 or if you are wanting to gamble on a later option QB. Pickett, Willis, and Corral are considered first round talent and Howell/Ridder I’ve seen on the cusp of 1st/2nd. 

Not sure why Rhule would "fall in love" with Willis. He had a more accomplished version of Willis already on the team and had no idea what to do with him.

If the Panthers draft Pickett, then it's likely the best version of Pickett happens early in his career and then levels off. I'd think Tannehill-like comparisons wouldn't be out of bounds. They'll get some wins with Pickett, but if the Super Bowl is really the goal, then the Panthers need to look elsewhere. However, because Rhule is on the hot seat, it's more likely Pickett helps him keep his job a little while longer.

If they draft Willis, then I expect some serious growing pains the first few years. Think Josh Allen. The first two years were spent learning, then it finally clicked for him. His ceiling is pretty high. I think Willis' ceiling is, too, but with a regime looking over their shoulder, he wouldn't be the pick for them. They need results now.