• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold outta here?

Zod

9 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

No UNC bias right? lol

I feel you though

the way chris simms talks about Corral gets me excited

There's bias there of course. But I've always tried to be truthful about UNC prospects and not just wear blinders. I told everyone last year that Dyami Brown wasn't nearly as good as the analysts we're going him to be. He was getting potential late 1st round talk. I wasn't surprised in the least when he slipped to the 3rd. That was roughly commensurate with his value IMO. He definitely has skills and field stretching ability, but those hands are wildly inconsistent. I compared him to Ginn. His hands aren't THAT inconsistent, but he's not THAT fast either. Dyami was one of those perfect situation guys. His strength was chasing deep balls and he played in an offense that threw a lot of them and probably had the best deep ball thrower in college football tossing them up. 

• Pie 1

Speaking of situations, that's why I'm the odd duck who is actually higher on Howell after this season than I was before. He was in an ideal QB situation before. A perfect WR to highlight his strengths in Brown. A really good underneath receiver in Dazz Newsome who was a 6th round pick last year. Two legit NFL RBs behind him. A good, big possession/red zone target in Beau Corrales. I mean, if you don't look good in that situation you probably just suck.

This year, all those guys were gone. One really good receiver emerged in Josh Downs but no one else stepped up and Corrales was injured. Ty Chandler stepped in at RB and did an admirable job but he was still a big step back at RB. The OL just absolutely fell apart. They're the ones who got exposed with all the weapons gone. 

Meanwhile, Howell showed that he could deal with it. He could get pressured constantly and still stay composed and not get frustrated. Same with receivers not getting open. He showed he could run when he has to. I already knew what he could do in a good situation but he showed me how he could handle a BAD situation. You don't usually get to see both when evaluating a college QB.

Looking at the lay of the league, our options are somewhat limited.

1. Draft a LT if the right fit falls to us, and move on from there.  Admit that we did not prepare Sam for success last year with out TERRIBLE offensive line and disconnect between coach and OC.  If he is a complete bust we are in position to either sign a FA or draft a new QB.  Downside:  How do we convince players on 1 year deals like Bozeman  or other free agents that we are headed in the right direction?  I think the downfall of the NFC South will work in our favor so long as we stay ahead of Atlanta and their "rebuild".

2. Trade back for more picks and use those assets to try to trade for competition.  Someone like Penning or Bernhard Raimann could be a possibility at LT and maybe we can get one of these QB's in round 2 to develop.  Maybe someone else could become available before training camp.

3.  Wait out the Jimmy / Baker situation, and see if we can take advantage of the market.  Would SF be interested in swapping Jimmy for Sam just for cap relief?  How about Baker in Cleveland, at what point does he become a distraction?  If there is no market for him wouldn't a swap of nearly exact salaries be beneficial from a PR perspective? Do you think the Browns would eventually cut him now that they hitched their wagon to Watson and Brissett?

4. Draft a rookie this year and have him compete with Darnold.  If you are unsure, send Darnold out for the first three games or so until the rookie is ready to take over.

5. Explore Gardner Minshew.  I would give up our first 5th round pick for him.  Even throw in PJ, or Sam with an offer to pay a good chunk of his salary.  That gives Philly a decent backup to Hurts while they get increased returns for Minshew.  Philly likely won't keep him after this year anyway as he will be looking for a clearer path to start.  Is he serviceable, and allows the team to improve?  If so, we can continue to upgrade the roster around him rather than jump head first into 40 million + per year allocated to one position.

Overall, I think internally the Panthers need to commit to what they truly expect out of a QB.  If the goal is to build up a team around a QB first, they cannot expect to catch a top tier FA or trade for an established player.  Relying on the draft is a crap shoot outside of a top ten (realistically top 5) pick. 

IMO, we need to create a banger of an offensive line and stout defense and rely on a game manager / mid level QB until we can allocate future 1st rounders to be in the position to draft they guy we want.  If we have our priority offensive linemen signed to three year or more contracts (while under 30) that's when you make a calculated risk like SF did last year.  

Personally, I think you draft a LT, and trade for Minshew unless you have a deep, deep, belief that Pickett or Corral can make it in the current offense.  We are one year away from a solid OL.  Darnold, in my opinion, might be broken.  Even in his first three games, he had jumpy feet and never looked fully comfortable behind center.  I'd have to re-watch the game tape, but what I remember from him after he came back from injury looked broken.  Picket has good footwork, reads the field well, and can hang in a pocket pretty well.  I think he peaks at a Kirk Cousins level, which isn't terrible IMO, but may not be more valuable than a stud LT.

I'm one of the few people on here that think there is some value to Darnold.  He probably will not take anyone to the SB, but he could still be a bridge to better times.

In Darnold's last 8 games of 2019, he went 6-2.  He was 163-267 (61%) 2,047 yds, 13 TDs (4 ints) and was sacked 15 times.  That's actually pretty good.

The next year, he was hurt and the Jets were horrifying.

Then he comes to Carolina and he's saddled with a below average coach and OC and a historically bad offensive line.  

Point is - there is something there.  Someone will believe he can get it out of Sam.  He's not worth 18m, but no reason to just flush it.  Unless he's some kind of huge douche, I don't get the desperation to "get him out of the building".

Sign a LT.  Draft a QB at 6.  Start Sam for 8 games.  Keep starting him if we are still competing for the playoffs.  By the 11th or 12th game, turn the reins over to your draftee for some on-the-job training.  

It ain't that hard.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

This is what concerns me about the push to get Darnold off the books now...  Teddy was a bad investment, but could've been a useful one had they just ate their mistake after the first season, kept him as a mentor and drafted Fields or just waited to draft a guy this year.  But nope, they knew they flubbed so they scrambled to get rid of Teddy and in their haste, compounded the original problem by trading for Sam's sorry ass and trying to make a reclamation project out of him when everyone with two eyes and a brain knew he sucked.  And now, here we are again...  instead of just eating that salary for one more year, we're talking about trading assets to get rid of him now.  

As I said in another post, if they have another move for an established, proven QB (requiring that cap space immediately) that I'm not seeing, I don't understand the point.  Send him away from the team, release him, idgaf...  his NFL career is probably over, he won't be playing here anymore, and he's in his last contract year, so why trade something to get rid of him unless you have a greater plan?

I mean who realistically is out there they would need that space for now to upgrade the position?  All the other spots of question, I think they could fill with the current cap space with Darnold on the roster.  So what am I missing?  Daniel Jones?  Jalen Hurts?  Maybe Derek Carr?  That would be dope.

I will say, I think it was Fitt last season that said the goal is to fill all your needs before the draft so when the draft comes around, you can draft the BPA.  If they find a way to magically fill QB before that and we get a LT, that would be amazing, but I'm not seeing it...

I think Rhule/Brady and Teddy soured on each other late two seasons ago. Not sure why but it got bad and didn't improve. Still smart organizations don't let that happen the way it did. I mean trading for Darnald was stupid and 5th year option even dumber. The way this years FA has panned out I'm going to say it could have been Brady and his inexperience causing these problems. This year there has been a clear focus on FA on the Offensive side after the Watson drama who was fully Teppers idea. 

• Pie 1

Let's take a quick look at the Pickett v Howell thingy.

Offensive line? Neither team could run the ball, and both QBs ran for their lives, a lot. So...EVEN

RB? Neither team could muster much of a running game. So...EVEN

WRs? Neither team had what you may call a NFL type guy. So...EVEN

Yet 1 QB (Pickett) played much better than the other QB (Howell). I wonder why? Probably because he is a "Man among boys". lol

• Poo 1

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I like Corral. 

My rankings go:

1. Howell

2. Corral

3. Willis

Those are the only QBs I'd consider drafting in the 1st.

I think that Howell and Corral throw the two best deep balls. Idc about how far Willis threw it in his workout. As far as in game throws those two were the best. I like Corral a little more bc he strikes me as more of an athlete than Howell and you could put him in the weight room and get him to 215-218 and he’d be good. But I wouldn’t be mad if we found a way to take Sam Howell in the late first or second round with a trade. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The 49ers this week were talking about trying to talk the Panthers into an even trade of Darnold for Jimmy G. 

I'd take that trade even with Jimmy's surgery. Push the eject button on PJ Walker, re-sign Cam for 1 yr, and either draft Willis in round 1 or make the OL and skill positions the focal point of our limited draft options.

13 minutes ago, Aintmsbhavn2da said:

The 49ers this week were talking about trying to talk the Panthers into an even trade of Darnold for Jimmy G. 

I'd take that trade even with Jimmy's surgery. Push the eject button on PJ Walker, re-sign Cam for 1 yr, and either draft Willis in round 1 or make the OL and skill positions the focal point of our limited draft options.

I have no problem taking Jimmy G for a year and only a year. 

• Beer 2

10 minutes ago, Aintmsbhavn2da said:

If true, that would be much better than sending out a draft pick to get rid of Darnold's contract.  Heck, you could immediately cut Garapollo (none of his salary is guaranteed) and be in the same place as if you never guaranteed Sam's 5th year option. 

Then you'd have about 50m in cap.  Sign a LT, trade for Minshew, and draft your QB.

• Poo 1

39 minutes ago, Chad_Cota said:

Darnold is in the lead for the starting QB job, until they draft a QB at 6.

I'm in the minority but I don't have a huge problem with him starting to begin with. We might even be able to trade him if he does well. 

• Pie 4