• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Everyone I've talked to, thinks and believes the Panthers will trade back"

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Also missing our 4th, got the Rams 4th, thats SB winning waaay back pick. My simple line of thought is its either Neal or trade back for a juicy haul. 

It feels this year the late 4th-7th has the best "value". No cream, but the bottom bun is heavily heaven...Once its over the UDFA may be the best in recent history as well. Lots of teams have turned in the most scouting reports ever. That means they feel theres more draftable players and not to mention coofus had a effect, bigger than some are seeing. I hope Tepper doesnt hold back for the UDFA pool, like he did for Watson...

Good Lord....if you are banking on 4th rounders to UDFA's, you may as well just hang it up.

That was our shitty strategy last draft that didn't work out.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, the odds of just simply being able to magically trade down in the span of the time we have picked is fuging moronic.

Even if we have an existing deal in place, the other team could just start to negotiate for a lower price because at that point we'd just be fuged.

I think if we trade down it will be before the draft.

Nah, any trade would be contingent on who is available. Only way a trade happens before draft day is if a deal is unbelievably good.

Just now, cookinbrak said:

Nah, any trade would be contingent on who is available. Only way a trade happens before draft day is if a deal is unbelievably good.

We tried to do this last year when a lot of teams wanted to move up and we wanted too much. 

Why would this be more likely to happen this year? Who are the can't miss trade up prospects? And if they fall, why wouldn't we just take them?

IMO, this is basically a fantasy scenario. If you have a QB you like(and I have no idea why that would be the case in 2022), take him at 6. If you have a LT you like, take him at 6. If you have another player you believe is elite, take him at 6. If you don't believe any of those things and you think the difference between 6 and 32 is minimal then trade down. 

Otherwise you are just trying to win some sort of PFF spreadsheet title for no obvious reason.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Shaq Inside The Nba GIF - Shaq Inside The NBA Spit Take - Discover & Share  GIFs

This is what happens to a franchise who starts Sam Darnold the worst starting QB in the NFL for an extended period of time. Any other quarterback by comparison looks better than they appear. Thank your Panthers mgmt team.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We tried to do this last year when a lot of teams wanted to move up and we wanted too much. 

Why would this be more likely to happen this year? Who are the can't miss trade up prospects? And if they fall, why wouldn't we just take them?

IMO, this is basically a fantasy scenario. If you have a QB you like(and I have no idea why that would be the case in 2022), take him at 6. If you have a LT you like, take him at 6. If you have another player you believe is elite, take him at 6. If you don't believe any of those things and you think the difference between 6 and 32 is minimal then trade down. 

Otherwise you are just trying to win some sort of PFF spreadsheet title for no obvious reason.

Having the bears #1 this draft would solve a lot of problems 

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Good Lord....if you are banking on 4th rounders to UDFA's, you may as well just hang it up.

That was our shitty strategy last draft that didn't work out.

Im not ready to stamp/call the 2020 class, tho if you force me to make a statement, it did overall disappoint(mainly due to a injuries). Just my rule never to judge a class until the 2nd full off-season(*unless they are cut or all-pros). 

So this coming year is huge for that huge class. The biggest jump in ones career is form the 1st to 2nd year, *normally*. Horn is back, TMJ should be ready, Christ looked ok, Tre is the current #2 in O that likes TEs, hubbard wellll....., Nixon looked good with limited snaps coming off ACL, Taylor played great for a 5th, Smith welll........ Brown got a new chance with power type line, LS what a joke......., Hoskins looked great as a 7th. Mixed bag, i need to see who took the current off-season to grow.   

Just happens the panthers do have a decent haul at the value part of the draft(4-7). Last year the value part was late second til 4th. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Im not ready to stamp/call the 2020 class, tho if you force me to make a statement, it did overall disappoint(mainly due to a injuries). Just my rule never to judge a class until the 2nd full off-season(*unless they are cut or all-pros). 

So this coming year is huge for that huge class. The biggest jump in ones career is form the 1st to 2nd year, *normally*. Horn is back, TMJ should be ready, Christ looked ok, Tre is the current #2 in O that likes TEs, hubbard wellll....., Nixon looked good with limited snaps coming off ACL, Taylor played great for a 5th, Smith welll........ Brown got a new chance with power type line, LS what a joke......., Hoskins looked great as a 7th. Mixed bag, i need to see who took the current off-season to grow.   

Just happens the panthers do have a decent haul at the value part of the draft(4-7). Last year the value part was late second til 4th. 

Yeah, well I just don't agree with pretty much the bulk of that. Horn was a good pick(although not the right pick). Outside of Horn, it's just a bunch of depth and JAGS. Not a great showing for having the most picks in the draft.

Like I said, history and just extremely simple statistics show that banking your success on 4th rounders to UDFA's is just plain dumb. 

3 hours ago, stirs said:

Saw this on another website, but could not substantiate.  Maybe in the pay part of PFF?  If true, then Pickett does not look that bad.  Hope someone can find it.  Probably also depends on the type offense a team is going to run.

Lowest % of uncatchable targets on throws 10+ yards downfield among FBS quarterbacks in 2021, per
@PFF
:

2. Kenny Pickett (26%)
5. Carson Strong (29%)

16. Bailey Zappe (32%)
22. Matt Corral (34%)
34. Sam Howell (36%)
50. Desmond Ridder (38%)

61. Malik Willis (40%)

Man that is so so bad for Willis considering his competition. I would make an adjustment for Corral and probably put him in the first tier just bc the competition he faced was so much better than Pickett. I mean he basically played one elite defense and 3-4 good-ish defenses. 

Makes you wonder where Strong would be if he wasn’t perpetually injured. Just can’t be a statue in the NFL and be any good as a young player. 

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

Hubbard ran for 600 yards and 5 TDs (and nearly 800 all purpose yards) behind a dogshit OLine.

No, he didn't set the world alight, but I'll take that for a 4th round pick.

The only disappointment so far from that Draft class has been Marshall - everyone else has flashed potential.

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

People say, Pittsburgh is "conservative" during the draft, but if Tomlin is in love with Willis and Willis is there, they might make a move.  When was the last time Pittsburgh did not have a franchise, elite QB?  Imagine how nice it is to not have to develop a QB?  They could want to develop WIllis this year while playing Trubiski until Willis is ready--I doubt Trubiski is the solution.   I dunno--but if you love Willis and see him as a project, you want to get him in the fold now--not later when you do not have a QB to bridge the gap.

Imagine if the Steelers didn't take Pickett when all Tomlin has to do is step out of his office to watch Pickett practice. 

Would say a hell of a lot about him as a potential franchise QB. 

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Imagine if the Steelers didn't take Pickett when all Tomlin has to do is step out of his office to watch Pickett practice. 

Would say a hell of a lot about him as a potential franchise QB. 

Not sure which sort of offense Pittsburgh will run now with Big Ben gone.

3 minutes ago, stirs said:

Not sure which sort of offense Pittsburgh will run now with Big Ben gone.

It doesn't really matter - Tomlin could not have had a more extensive, in-depth look at Pickett.

If he's not trading up for him then he's not a franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It doesn't really matter - Tomlin could not have had a more extensive, in-depth look at Pickett.

If he's not trading up for him then he's not a franchise QB.

Not that I think he should, I don't see a 10 ten QB from any of them, but everyone thinks he wants to move up, I am just wondering which one and if the type offense he is planning on running will make a difference