• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers favor Malik Willis?

micnificent28

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I have no idea why people keep saying this.  We cant simply just "trade down" unless Fitt is going for pennies on the dollar.   We didnt take the Bears haul last year and now we have an even better draft pick. 

Agreed. But these are ideal situations.. not likely to happen but if I had my choice it would be those. 

7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Cool but he isn't a QB coach but an OC here. Add in the Rhule factors and I still don't see the reason for any hype. 

He was OC for the Giants and still worked with Manning, he has a different style than Joe Brady who just sat in the box like he was playing a video game. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I didn't see the specific plays they got hurt on so I will defer. But over their careers* Lamar had been pretty durable and Murray been fine as well. Cam for being the running qb got hurt in the pocket.. there is no one hit that is going to take you out. Qbs get hit even in the pocket. Just because you run as well doesn't mean your going to get hit qbs slide and run out of bounds to avoid unnecessary hits.

Burrow was a number 1 overall pick...consensus. those are rare. Plus even he isn't a statue.

Murray hasnt been fine.  2 seasons now have been derailed late in the year due to injuries and his refusal to run.  Once that is taken away his results drop.

Murray was hit last year on a blitz and then hurt again at the goalline and hit his shoulder.  Jackson was hurt this year scrambling and rolled his ankle.  Murray was hurt again this year scrambling and turning his ankle pretty severely.  

Edited by mrcompletely11

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Murray hasnt been fine.  2 seasons now have been derailed late in the year due to injuries and his refusal to run.  Once that is taken away he results drop.

Murray was hit last year on a blitz and then hurt again at the goalline and hit his shoulder.  Jackson was hurt this year scrambling and rolled his ankle.  Murray was hurt again this year scrambling and turning his ankle pretty severely.  

Mahomes hurt his ankle the year before last. That same year Burrow tore his ACL. Winston injured his leg last year scrambling (and he isn’t known as a scrambler). Baker injured his shoulder last year as well as our own Sam Darnold. Zach Wilson also got hurt last year.  Injures happen all the time, Murray’s or Lamar’s weren’t serious or career threatening. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Mahomes hurt his ankle the year before last. That same year Burrow tore his ACL. Winston injured his leg last year scrambling (and he isn’t known as a scrambler). Baker injured his shoulder last year as well as our own Sam Darnold. Zach Wilson also got hurt last year.  Injures happen all the time, Murray’s or Lamar’s weren’t serious or career threatening. 

None of that has anything to do with what I was responding to.  The poster said Jackson and Murray have been healthy.  I pointed out they have not been healthy. 

7 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He was OC for the Giants and still worked with Manning, he has a different style than Joe Brady who just sat in the box like he was playing a video game. 

Yeah we went from a college OC to a meh NFL level OC. The good ones declined our interviews. We were left with McAdoo. 

His strength is supposedly QBs, no one says his offenses were impressive. When Coughlin was in charge he produced his best but that is Coughlin and not Rhule. He wasn't the OC of their SB run and his 2 OC years where the Manning / Beckham show and they still finished 3rd in their division. Meh. 

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

None of that has anything to do with what I was responding to.  The poster said Jackson and Murray have been healthy.  I pointed out they have not been healthy. 

I'm saying their injuries aren't anything out of the ordinary for a starting QB in the NFL.  I wouldn't call either of them injury prone or even red flag it at this point.  People freak out when a "running" QB gets injured and relate it to them running.  As someone stated Cam's injuries came from the pocket like Burrow's.  Getiing a good OL (like you are wanting) should greatly reduce our next QB's injury rather they are a running QB or not IMO. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I'm saying their injuries aren't anything out of the ordinary for a starting QB in the NFL.  I wouldn't call either of them injury prone or even red flag it at this point.  People freak out when a "running" QB gets injured and relate it to them running.  As someone stated Cam's injuries came from the pocket like Burrow's.  Getiing a good OL (like you are wanting) should greatly reduce our next QB's injury rather they are a running QB or not IMO. 

This. Everything a qb with mobility gets hurt its because he runs to much. But if it's a pocket passer nobody thinks hey if he could have escaped the pocket it wouldn't have happened

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except when he has to take a sh-t 😐

So how do you feel about Lamar Jackson. I have seen your theory of running qbs being silver or and pocket passers gold. How do you view Jackson? Can the raven win the super bowl with Jackson at qb?

Edited by micnificent28

46 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

So how do you feel about Lamar Jackson. I have seen your theory of running qbs being silver or and pocket passers gold. How do you view Jackson? Can the raven win the super bowl with Jackson at qb?

Not how I'd phrase the question. History shows you can win a Super Bowl with a guy like Trent Dilfer if you build a good enough team around him.

If you're asking whether or not Jackson is an elite level quarterback, my answer would be I'm not sure yet.

His physical traits are definitely elite, likely a step above Newton as both a runner and a passer. He's clearly a dangerous run threat and has a rocket launcher for an arm. As far as accuracy, based on what I've seen I'd put him above the Newton / Farve level but a few steps below the Brees / Brady level.

With regard to other intangibles, it's harder to say. He certainly wins plenty of games during the regular season, but also seems to fade during the playoffs. He'll need to get past that before he can really be thought of as up there with the others.

Whether or not he does will say a lot, but I'm not ready to predict either way.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a smokescreen, but I would say that at this point the decision is still incomplete.

Scott Fitterer mentioned that the next step in the process is going to be to go back and review game film on all of the players they're looking at.

A pro day setting might favor Willis, but I'm not so sure the game tape will.

"Smokescreen" may not have been the exact right word, although I kinda believe that they'd prefer to trade down and get either Corral or Pickett, and any "buzz" that they're generating about Willis may be to that end. 

1 hour ago, Donald LaFell said:

I’d rather get someone with a rocket arm after so many years of Cam’s shoulder or just crappy QBs in general. 

Charlie Sheen Baseball GIF by Comedy Central

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a smokescreen, but I would say that at this point the decision is still incomplete.

Scott Fitterer mentioned that the next step in the process is going to be to go back and review game film on all of the players they're looking at.

A pro day setting might favor Willis, but I'm not so sure the game tape will.

I see this as BS. If Atlanta wants Willis they'll have to trade up to 5 to get him and lose picks. If he's not there we're taking these OTs. That way, if anyone else wants Pickett then they are safe and don't need to move up. Because we are definitely drafting Pickett. 

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

Yeah, no way Carolina would put this out there to drum up trade interest

To drum up interest in Willis? We can only hope the Falcons take the bait.