• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How dangerous is Willis as a runner? What makes him special?

micnificent28

Vick is wildly overrated if he’s your comp for Willis, and you want to draft Willis that high. 

Vick was a terrible passer. He threw it hard and did exciting things with his legs, but that’s not going to get it done. 

People thinking Cam sucked as a passer have another thing coming if Willis throws like Vick. 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

My honest guess is that he is actually a 4.55-4.65 guy. I think he is far less fast, hence why he didn't run.

Which....honestly who gives a fug? He isn't a WR. If he has a crazy arm(he does) AND he is able to read the field, who cares?

This 1000%. guys with sub 4.5 speed or dare to say sub 4.4 at QB show it off at the combine or pro day to lock in that top 10 or better spot. Him not running is a major flag when you look at the tape too. Too many times caught from behind by a camel.....

Not saying he needs to be a 4.4 guys like you either. He is shifty enough to maybe to play like Russ and just make something out of nothing. That said watching both guys in college, Russ was head and shoulders the better player/prospect. He produced in 2 better/more difficult conference with much more difficult schedules.

If you are drafting based on willis's running prowess, he needs that extra gear, and really, needs a bit more size. We have a 1st hand a count how quick a running QB can get broken. And Cam was a literal tank by comparison to Willis. Idk, but seams like the running is a nice extra and a tiebreaker is the arm, decision making, and accuracy are all the same between 2 prospects.

Most of Willis's best film is the odd 2021 year when many other teams were fighting COVID and going to the 3rd string to start games just to play.

• Beer 2

20 minutes ago, chbright said:

This 1000%. guys with sub 4.5 speed or dare to say sub 4.4 at QB show it off at the combine or pro day to lock in that top 10 or better spot. Him not running is a major flag when you look at the tape too. Too many times caught from behind by a camel.....

Not saying he needs to be a 4.4 guys like you either. He is shifty enough to maybe to play like Russ and just make something out of nothing. That said watching both guys in college, Russ was head and shoulders the better player/prospect. He produced in 2 better/more difficult conference with much more difficult schedules.

If you are drafting based on willis's running prowess, he needs that extra gear, and really, needs a bit more size. We have a 1st hand a count how quick a running QB can get broken. And Cam was a literal tank by comparison to Willis. Idk, but seams like the running is a nice extra and a tiebreaker is the arm, decision making, and accuracy are all the same between 2 prospects.

Most of Willis's best film is the odd 2021 year when many other teams were fighting COVID and going to the 3rd string to start games just to play.

Bro stop it. Did Kyler run? Did Lamar Jackson run? Mobile QBs who have predicated on there speed just aren’t running anymore because it's. Risk period. Running your believed time gets you a oh as expected. Running even a 4.5 erases your godly speed advantage that most of the scouts thinks you have.

It's like a pocket passer volunteering to throw extra throws when not necessary. If I'm your agent and your already thought to be the number 1qb why create more risk? That doesn't mean your slow that just means your not stupid. It's not like people don't clock him in game which at the senior bowl he was clocked atleast 3mph faster than the others.

Screenshot_20220404-202456_Chrome.jpg

30 minutes ago, chbright said:

If Desmond runs a 4.52 and is 2mph slower than Willis he has to at the least running a 4.4

Screenshot_20220405-105205_Chrome.jpg

Edited by micnificent28

18 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

What round do they think this guy could be had in? Both his stats and your post has me interested now as well

What's cool is by his stats you can see that the more they started to ask of Strong (atts) the more he produced because he kept his completion percentage at 70% despite increased attempts. That's serious fortitude.

That's Drew Brees hang up 40-50 dropping dimes level QBing.

That's why his NFL upside as a QB, QBing is very high. If he can maintain 70% completion in the NFL you have a star. If he dips to 65% or so, still NFL worthy.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 1

People want to draft Pickett who put up his stats with the cleanest pocket in college football last year. You really think he’s going to have success behind the Panthers offensive line with no LT worth a damn on the roster and hands so small he can’t grip a ball without gloves? That’s a recipe for disaster. 

QB shouldn’t even be in the discussion for our 6th pick unless it’s with a team willing to trade the farm to move up and draft one. 

LT all damn day.

I've seen various articles and a few tweets by pundits that say Willis was clocked running a 4.37- 40 back when he was at Auburn. I have no doubt he is fast and runs a sub 4.5 40, But like someone else said there are quite a few instances on tape where a LB from Campbell or Army tracks him down from behind. Its a little concerning. There is more to running and scrambling than pure speed I guess.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I've seen various articles and a few tweets by pundits that say Willis was clocked running a 4.37- 40 back when he was at Auburn. I have no doubt he is fast and runs a sub 4.5 40, But like someone else said there are quite a few instances on tape where a LB from Campbell or Army tracks him down from behind. Its a little concerning. There is more to running and scrambling than pure speed I guess.

I mean there are variables like angles and pads so on. We don't know for sure how fast army LB is. But also 40 yards doesn't mean you have long speed. He could reach his max speed very fast but have no gear after that.  While some people build up speed over distsnce,Willis could be just a burst guy.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean there are variables like angles and pads so on. We don't know for sure how fast army LB is. But also 40 yards doesn't mean you have long speed. He could reach his max speed very fast but have no gear after that.  While some people build up speed over distsnce,Willis could be just a burst guy.

Yeah he looks very athletic despite getting tracked down at times. His stats indicate he's a good runner too. I just worry that he won't look so special against NFL defenses based on his Liberty tape.