• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline: people in league circles believe that the #Panthers will select LT Charles Cross

TheSpecialJuan

Going back to Cross, he just has a lot to like.  Has the size, length, ton of balance in his stance/stays pretty strong and upright with the best hand placement in the draft.

If we are going OL, it makes sense why our new, actually NFL competent OL coach would want him.  

Cross-Elf/BC-Bozeman-Corbett-Moton is a fine line.  One weak spot but Elf or Brady could play a lot better at LG with that supporting cast.

• Pie 3

37 minutes ago, saX man said:

Thing is, I'd say Penning's Pass-pro is better than Icky so then considering his upside and general size/length, it makes you wonder if its a situation like 2020.  It really depends on scheme and what certain teams covet.

I.E.--Thomas was commonly projected behind Wills and Wirfs, taken way higher and then even Becton (The high upside large mauler type) taken ahead of Wirfs. 

I think that is eye of the beholder. I do think the fact that Penning tested well athletically helped his stock a lot. Perhaps they are more even on some boards than others. 

Outside Becton, two of those three worked out pretty well. If that is the example, all the more reason to stay with a LT. 

If we are a downhill, run the ball down your throat team(which Rhule supposedly wants), Penning or Ekwonu make the most sense. Neal is a freak but he isn't nasty like those guys. Obviously Cross isn't that mauler.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I think that is eye of the beholder. I do think the fact that Penning tested well athletically helped his stock a lot. Perhaps they are more even on some boards than others. 

Outside Becton, two of those three worked out pretty well. If that is the example, all the more reason to stay with a LT. 

If we are a downhill, run the ball down your throat team(which Rhule supposedly wants), Penning or Ekwonu make the most sense. Neal is a freak but he isn't nasty like those guys. Obviously Cross isn't that mauler.

Totally.  All 4 bring something, have the elite potential, unsure who would come swinging out the gate the most at first, but Cross is definitely the one looking like that prototypical LT you see.  

It's a good problem to have when we have our pickins at #6 and they'll be available, the one we want the most if we're lucky.  

2 minutes ago, saX man said:

Totally.  All 4 bring something, have the elite potential, unsure who would come swinging out the gate the most at first, but Cross is definitely the one looking like that prototypical LT you see.  

It's a good problem to have when we have our pickins at #6 and they'll be available, the one we want the most if we're lucky.  

I am not sure I would lean towards who the team wants most. Frankly, their prospect evaluation ability is questionable. 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

LT has been an issue for almost 10 years. This class has some of the best LT prospects in the last 10 years and the Panthers are in PRIME position to get one of them. They’d be foolish to pass one up in a weak ass QB draft.

*This* stay focused and draft an OT. Don't try and get cute and keep trading back like last year. How did those work out anyway? How are things looking from that all defensive draft? Focus. 

Edited by @bonafidebanter
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I want a bigger LT if we're talking about the 6th spot.

6'5 310 34 1/2" arms, nearly 11" hands, are you looking for sasquatch? He's basically Ronnie Stanley/Tyron Smith sized and the prototypical modern LT.  Bigger than Bakhtiari and Matthews.  

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, saX man said:

Going back to Cross, he just has a lot to like.  Has the size, length, ton of balance in his stance/stays pretty strong and upright with the best hand placement in the draft.

If we are going OL, it makes sense why our new, actually NFL competent OL coach would want him.  

Cross-Elf/BC-Bozeman-Corbett-Moton is a fine line.  One weak spot but Elf or Brady could play a lot better at LG with that supporting cast.

The thing that stands out with Cross to me is that he knows his assignment and is athletic / technical enough to complete it. 

Watch any of his cut-ups and see how readily (and smoothly) he passes off the inside rusher to pick up the stunt / late blitzer. It's beautiful stuff. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, saX man said:

6'5 310 34 1/2" arms, nearly 11" hands, are you looking for sasquatch? He's basically Ronnie Stanley/Tyron Smith sized and the prototypical modern LT.  Bigger than Bakhtiari and Matthews.  

I prefer Evan Neal who is bigger and taller. No need to hunt for a sasquatch.