• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Back - Draft Ridder - Bridge with Cam

SetfreexX

27 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep. Loved Cam when he was here, particularly when healthy, but do we recall his last 4 games last year? He looked awful and when Sam came back you could see the difference in a bad way for Cam. 

Yeah it’s pretty bad when Sam Darnold was a clear upgrade over Cam

5 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Yeah it’s pretty bad when Sam Darnold was a clear upgrade over Cam

Ummmmm.....did ya'll not see how bad the offense was when Darnold who knew the PB returned...

Cam is better than Sam on equal footing, Cam actually led drives that ended in scores with a week or two of practice, I don't even recall if Sam led a scoring drive in his return until the meaningless Week 18 game versus TB. 

Weeks 7 through 9:

Darnold - Zero touchdowns, and three interceptions and a fumble

Weeks 16 through 18:

Darnold - Two touchdowns, two interceptions, 3 fumbles, and 2 lost

In summary in his 6 games that closed out the year -- 2 total TD's / 5 Interceptions / 4 fumbles - 2 lost (7 turnovers in 6 games)

Cam Newton Weeks 10 through 16 (Didn't play but one or 2 snaps in Weeks 17 & 18):

Cam - 9 total TDs / 5 INTs / 4 fumbles - 1 lost (9 turnovers in 7 games)

All behind an even worse version of the OL (injuries) and not even knowing the playbook, and having a quarter of the gameplan with Matt Rhule's college roommate as the OC after firing Brady! 

Like come on, I know a lot of ya'll never really like Cam, and I don' think anyone is acting like he's 2015 Cam, but the NE version of Cam is better than Darnold, and any other vet FA. If there was a location / fit that made sense it's here. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Yep. Loved Cam when he was here, particularly when healthy, but do we recall his last 4 games last year? He looked awful and when Sam came back you could see the difference in a bad way for Cam. 

Cam is nearly ten years older but he still brought a spark the team never had with Darnold. Sam has all the physical tools but the QB mind is not there and it never will be. For that reason he is not an upgrade over either PJ or Cam or even a rookie.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Then who is the bridge option for the rookie....

Gardener Minshew, Sam Darnold, Fitzmagic 🤣

Only QBs available via trade is Jimmy G off shoulder surgery, and on a BETTER SF roster he couldn't get it done and is still a turnover waiting to happen. 

That leaves Baker...do we even need to go into why not with him when he couldn't even handle his team looking to upgrade at QB, no thanks on the baby at QB. 

Cam is the best option of the bunch, has nothing to do with anything but that. Cam saying he wants to ''win'' is PR spin, but all the contending teams ALREADY have their QB so on a contender he's a back up. He might very well accept that role and I wouldn't blame him. 

However, if he wants to play, with a chance to win our roster could be suitable to that with more draft picks, and a legit veteran QB and in this case he's better than what is out there. 

We don't need a bridge.  We just need a guy we pretend is our starter going into camp and for maybe a few weeks until we throw a new rookie in and see if they're good or not.  So no to Cam.  It just creates a weird situation yet again, and likely in Rhule's last year.  Just pick up a sh*tstian, bench them early, and test out Howell, Corral, Latravus Gelpitt, whoever.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

C’mon, Sam’s not the answer but he’s better than Walker and was unfortunately better than Cam last year. Sam was 4-7 and Cam was 0-5. I don’t know if it was smoke and mirrors but the best QB we had by far was Sam weeks 1-4, 1200+ yards, 10TDs and 3 turnovers. After that, a lackluster 238 total yards was the best QB output we had and it was Sam in week 18.

I’d start a rookie just to see if he’s our answer but otherwise I see no reason to not play Darnold since we are already on the hook to pay him. Worst case, he or a rookie sucks us into a top 2 pick. Best case, we discover it was the OL that killed him and we can tag and trade him or a rookie steps up and becomes our future.

Sam just doesn't really seem to be competitive at all, pretty easy upbringing, likes football but doesn't need it, just kinda blah. Mix that with Rhules "we don't need a leader" at qb thing and you get this mediocrity. At the least that Cardinals game was the only time the whole team was pumped up last season, quickly fell apart but before that everyone was calling for Sam and Rhules heads lol. I'd be interested if we could get a full version of 2018 Cam with this improved line and better weapons than he had at that time, full offseason with the new OC, etc..He's physically not the same as he was 5 years ago but he can still read a defense better than Darnold, and I'd much rather have the next guy learning from his work ethic and locker room presence. I definitely don't want Ridder, I'd be ok with Willis or a trade back for Pickett/Corral

• Pie 1

I suspect we won't be able to shield any rookie quarterback we draft with how Cam Newton and Sam Darnold played last season. Newton has looked shot as a passer the last two seasons, and Darnold has been a bust. How can we shield a rookie quarterback with them under center?

Rhule is arguably in an improve or get fired season, so if things go south he’ll be motivated to make a quarterback change because his job is on the line. Besides, a lot of our fan base will be calling for a change at quarterback if Darnold or Cam play poorly. 

The only way I can see us being able to shield a rookie quarterback is if we make a deal with the 49ers for Garoppolo and he stays healthy and his production replicates his 2019 and 2021 seasons. At that point we can bring the rookie along slowly, but even in that scenario, if Garoppolo struggles and/or gets hurt, the rookie will get thrown in. 

So, if we are going to take a first round quarterback, why not just role with them and see what happens? 

Best case scenario, they hit the ground running and show enough to be our future franchise quarterback. Worst case scenario, they struggle and we consider our options next season.

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The team was pretty damn pumped the first three weeks, heck so were we. Some goods in here were talking about beating the Cowboys helping us to get a top playoff seed, 😂. Arizona was fun but that was the D. They just mopped up McCoy. Our D was great for 4 games when we got out to early leads.

Sam doesn’t have it, Cam doesn’t either outside of being a goal line option. One costs us nothing more to play this year so if we don’t draft a rookie, let Rhule sink or swim with his guy.

I agree Rhule should be tied to Darnold. If the team is wants to be aggressive at swapping out Qb's constantly, same should go for the Head Coach. Maybe give Fitt one year past whenever Rhule is fired because he seems to have made some growth this year, particularly getting some actually decent FA O-linemen to sign with a Rhule/Darnold team. I dunno how he convinced Bozeman or Corbett to sign on. 

I need the glasses some have in order to see how the hell Sam was better than cam

the teams body language as a whole was 10x different with sam under center than Cam, I’d like a leader like cam to be a bridge for a rookie, but our front office and owner have tunnel vision and will trade or blow up assets repeatedly looking for the next Justin Herbert or Patrick Mahomes.  

good idea op but unfortunately with Rhule at the helm I think it’s more than a long shot it happens, this is the formula that should have been implemented when Rhule was fired.