• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"What are we doing in the draft" 2022 edition.

Verge

5 hours ago, SOJA said:

The way I see the draft going right now:

1 Jax- Hutchinson

2 Det- Walker 

3 Hou- Neal 

4 NYJ- Gardner

5 NYG- Ickey

6- Cross

You kind of alluded to it but yeah, I'd be surprised if it's the Giants picking at five. 

I hate the thought of losing Ickey one pick before ours. Just like last year with Sewell. 

Edited by trueblade
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Of course there are those that want to stick with Sam.  That's only because of the choices we have been presented so far. I understand the logic behind it and I agree that it has merit given the most logical fate of next season. Call it tank or whatever but it is probably going to happen under a qb not named Sam Darnold anyway. 

Yeah that was my original point… You just said not a single panthers fan wants to see Sam on this team, and then responded to two people who were saying they wanted him. Reasons vary and none are for wanting him to win games for us. We’re all trying to find the silver lining and there really is none. What’s the dealio/point here?

We’re pretty much in the garbage next year rookie, trade, or whatever. Rhule is the coach and we all want this regime to end. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It was fool's gold. Then the truth came out and the truth looked a while lot like the same guy who played for the Jets.

I put the blame on Brady more then Sam. You can work in a predictable system and succeed in the NFL. Brady was supposed to be the wonder kid, but absolutely fell off a cliff in year 2. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckWag78 said:

I put the blame on Brady more then Sam. You can work in a predictable system and succeed in the NFL. Brady was supposed to be the wonder kid, but absolutely fell off a cliff in year 2. 

You do realize he has stunk under four different OC's now, right?

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, davos said:

Yeah that was my original point… You just said not a single panthers fan wants to see Sam on this team, and then responded to two people who were saying they wanted him. Reasons vary and none are for wanting him to win games for us. We’re all trying to find the silver lining and there really is none. What’s the dealio/point here?

We’re pretty much in the garbage next year rookie, trade, or whatever. Rhule is the coach and we all want this regime to end. 

No fan want Sam. Some fans want Sam to start to rub it in Rhules face.  They will probably get to see that unless Fitterer can pull a qb out of his ass.

Edited by Jon Snow

13 minutes ago, ChuckWag78 said:

Sam was just terrible. Our offense looked pretty legit with Teddy. We just looked like we needed a QB who was a bit more aggressive and better able to go downfield. Sam was just all around awful, like he's been his entire NFL career. He's a talented thrower of the football but he's not a QB. He doesn't have it between the ears.

17 minutes ago, ChuckWag78 said:

No-one wins with the Jets. Call it blind optimism, but he's shown me enough good that I want to see what he can do with a competent coordinator outside of NY.

Come on now. How many seasons are we going to throw away to give this man another chance. Might as well try Josh Rosen or another QB that busted after a couple years. 4 years with 2 different teams and more OCs and still complete crap when a play breaks down. 

• Beer 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Couple of things I'd point out here...

There's a real tendency among big Newton fans to take a look at any halfway decent athletic quarterbacks coming out in the draft and excitedly exclaim, "It's Cam! He's come back to us!".

Yeah...except it isn't, and he hasn't. And sometimes I really think people have forgotten just how unique Newton actually was.

The other thing I see a lot of is people looking at those athletic guys and saying "This is how we can finally get Cam Newton 2.0".

To that, I'd say that while some fans are looking for Newton Part Deux, I haven't really seen any definitive indication that the Panthers are.

So if you fall into either of these mindsets, you might have a pretty good chance of being disappointed.

I no doubt love Cam, but I'm not in either of those camps, Scot.  As I've stated here ad nauseum, Cam was a once in a lifetime-type talent before the shoulder injury.  We never saw a player with his size and ability EVER, either before or since, and we likely won't for a long, long time, if ever.  He was truly special.  Plenty of QBs have come in with the ability to run and pass, but none were ever able to do it the way he did, and he made it look easy.  It still bothers me to think, what if he never attempted to make that tackle because of KB's lazy ass?  He likely never hurts that shoulder and he's still slinging it 80 yards.  The fact he didn't even get hurt on the actual plays that many thought he would, but instead a worthless tackle attempt after a pick.  It's just sad...

All that being said, thate why I compared Willis more to Lamar or Russ.  I've seen the comps to Murray as well...  again, with the caveat being he develops further, but that is a big IF.  My bigger point in all of it is, if that happens and we passed him up even though we liked him because Rhule is on the hot seat and wanted someone with a lower ceiling but who could play immediately, thats an awful big flub for a guy who really shouldn't even be here still and shouldn't be given that authority considering.  

Not saying Willis will become great, but if he ends up a really good 10 year starter and we pick a guy who washes out in 3 or 4 years because Rhule is operating on his "dont get fired" timeline, then I have an issue.

I hope whoever we pick is the right pick for the future, period.  I dont know if Willis is that guy, but just saying he shouldn't be ruled out based off Rhule's fears of his own job security.  I was big on the Willis train the last couple of months, and I still like him, but I won't be upset at all if we end up taking Ikwonu (sp?) at 6 and picking up a Corral or Howell later in addition to a Jimmy G or Mayfield.  It's not ideal long-term for QB, but we don't have much of a choice this year, smh...

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, jfo89 said:

@Verge a couple questions

1. Which QB is Pittsburg targeting? If it’s Willis, and the scouting community is pretty sure that the Panthers will not be taking him, then why jump them? Or maybe their target is Pickett?

2. who do you think the Saints would be moving up for? And how likely is it that they trade up? I could see trading up for one of the tackles, or Corral.

3. Which teams could be potential trade partners for the Panthers?

Pittsburgh like Willis.

I am not sure who the Saints are trading up for. My sense is LT or QB. 

I'd say Chargers could trade up for us, but they want a tackle. Maybe if Thib falls someone could look to sneak up.

7 hours ago, ncfan said:

@Verge

Is there any chance that the Browns and 49ers could hold out on trading those QBs to us for a lower offer than they want.  And drag this at least into the preseason, holding out hope for a playoff caliber team losing a QB to injury and get a better offer then.  Ala Sam Bradford.

I don't see it in either case. They both have other QBs that make that difficult. 

7 hours ago, Ryano1974 said:

Verge, in the event that Hutch, Walker, and the top 3 tackles go too 5, and we are unable to trade down, who do you feel we would select at 6? 

It would be a complete stab in the dark from me. You'd probably suck it up and take Corral or nab Thib.

7 hours ago, Krovvy said:

So, basically everyone's mock draft.

Appreciate the support. Been pretty consistent on what I have said for a while. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

From what you've heard, do they have him rated higher than Zion Johnson? I've seen Johnson's value climbing into the late 1st round, and he's the top ranked hybrid I've seen on a lot of rankings. 

They are pretty close honestly. They will probably go within 10 picks of each other.