• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meet with Sam Howell

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Worked out pretty well the last time we passed on one too...

usa-today-8883475.0.jpg

I liked Howell a lot last year. This year the shine has kind of come off.

Mind you, I'd probably still be okay with him as a trade down, but not at #6.

I didn't want Coples. I wanted Gilmore or Poe in the 2019. Interestingly enough, they were the next two picks after we took Luke and both ended up playing for short stints for the Panthers. Coples went 7 picks later. Peppers was the real deal. Coples had the physical tools, but just didn't have the motor. Robert Quinn was the real deal.

38 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

He will be lucky if he makes it out of round one and definitely gone by mid 2nd round. 

4th round is stretching it a bit don'tcha think. 

Yes, he'd be lucky if he went that early. The team that drafted him that early.....not so much. Coin toss really anything in the second round. First round .... That's just dumb. 

4th round maybe a little bit of a stretch, but if we're going to draft him, that's where it should happen without any trades. 3rd round seems right for him, but I wouldn't trade up to get him.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

Yes, he'd be lucky if he went that early. The team that drafted him that early.....not so much. Coin toss really anything in the second round. First round .... That's just dumb. 

4th round maybe a little bit of a stretch, but if we're going to draft him, that's where it should happen without any trades. 3rd round seems right for him, but I wouldn't trade up to get him.

That's your take.  I respect that but I'm saying it now and will eat crow if I have to but we're going to be kicking ourselves in the ass when he proves doubter wrong. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

laughing-come-see-this.gif

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I kind of figured this would be a UNC Homer circle jerk.

I am not sure which are more insufferable, the UNC homers or the Clemson homers.

Both completely incapable of seeing their players flaws when it comes to NFL evaluations. 

I think I'm the only UNC fan in this thread. Some of y'all really see what y'all wanna see when anything UNC is mentioned. 😂

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I kind of figured this would be a UNC Homer circle jerk.

I am not sure which are more insufferable, the UNC homers or the Clemson homers.

Both completely incapable of seeing their players flaws when it comes to NFL evaluations. 

So basically only Howell has flaws in this draft?  The others are completely polished ready to go.

No one said he was flawless.  

I'm a UNC fan but it has nothing to do with my take on Howell.  There have been several UNC players that I didn't want over the years.

My take is he's being highly undervalued.

Pickett and Howell are the best of this class at processing a play and making the right throw.

I pointed out that Howell was #1 of this class in 3rd down completions.  

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

So basically only Howell has flaws in this draft?  The others are completely polished ready to go.

No one said he was flawless.  

I'm a UNC fan but it has nothing to do with my take on Howell.  There have been several UNC players that I didn't want over the years.

My take is he's being highly undervalued.

Pickett and Howell are the best of this class at processing a play and making the right throw.

I pointed out that Howell was #1 of this class in 3rd down completions.  

All these QB's are, at best, 3rd round draft picks(Corral, Pickett). The bulk are 4th to 7th rounders.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

All these QB's are, at best, 3rd round draft picks(Corral, Pickett). The bulk are 4th to 7th rounders.

Kyle Trask went in the 2nd in last year's loaded QB class. Howell, Corral, Willis, and Pickett are all better prospects. Hell, Pickett is basically a more athletic version of Kyler Trask.

Here's the problem I have with all the "trade down" talk:  Either Howell is a franchise QB or he isn't.  Bottom line.  If he is a franchise QB, forget trading down, you draft him.  If you think he's a franchise QB, you draft him.  It's really that simple.  What the fans think or believe is utterly irrelevant.

The Panthers problem is their evaluations at the QB position have been complete dung since we took Cam Newton.  I'm not sure what's changed there.  What makes any of us believe in their evaluation?  Pickett?  Corral?  Howell? 

I dunno man.  Sometimes you just gotta take a swing.  I just wish I felt better about the guys who were making the calls on who to swing for.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think a trade back would be perfect for us.

I thought of a scenario of us taking Wills at 6 and keeping him away for N.O. and Atlanta.  Trading the pick later in the draft and getting Howell later plus a bunch of extra picks. 

We're not taking the average Liberty QB at 6 so don't worry anymore. No one is. I doubt he's drafted in the 1st round and if someone does it will be Pittsburgh because they face the ravens twice a year and they play that game too but I still even doubt that.