• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meet with Sam Howell

Sam's the only QB in this draft that gets credit for playing bad last year. I wonder why that is?

Pickett played well...no credit for him

Willis played rather well...no credit for him

Yet Howell played badly, (Well, he had lots of yards on the ground) and he is the chosen one? LOL

9 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Yet Howell played badly, (Well, he had lots of yards on the ground) and he is the chosen one? LOL

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
2021-----217 347 62.5 3,056 8.8 24 9 76 154.2
2020----237 348 68.1 3,586 10.3 30 7 87 179.1
2018----259 422 61.4 3,641 8.6 38 7 68 160.2

Statistically he did not play bad last year. He was a little less productive as a passer but the added ground yards really helped compliment his game. I think some folks see his performance in a positive light because he really gave great effort and found a way to make things "better" with a much less talented supporting class.

I do not think he is a top QB in this draft but Id be surprised if he last into round 3. He has a lot of traits to develop.

Career stats are updated nightly
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, Michael G said:

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
2021-----217 347 62.5 3,056 8.8 24 9 76 154.2
2020----237 348 68.1 3,586 10.3 30 7 87 179.1
2018----259 422 61.4 3,641 8.6 38 7 68 160.2

Statistically he did not play bad last year. He was a little less productive as a passer but the added ground yards really helped compliment his game. I think some folks see his performance in a positive light because he really gave great effort and found a way to make things "better" with a much less talented supporting class.

I do not think he is a top QB in this draft but Id be surprised if he last into round 3. He has a lot of traits to develop.

Career stats are updated nightly

According to those stats, he has gotten worse every year. Isn't that kinda the opposite of what you may be looking for?

So...regression is the new progression.

• Flames 1

On 4/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, DaveThePanther2008 said:

One interesting note I saw was Sam has the best 3rd down conversion of all QBs in this draft.   

I hope we trade down.  Grab a couple extra picks and select Howell.

That's an important stat. I think he's a solid choice in the back half of round 1.

46 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

According to those stats, he has gotten worse every year. Isn't that kinda the opposite of what you may be looking for?

If it was the NFL that may matter. Not as a college player with tons of different factors 

• Beer 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, ForJimmy said:

I'm an Auburn fan and I think he is being undervalued this draft.  He played great the previous year and lost his playmakers plus his OL played like poo.  I don't think we should take him at 6, but I'd be all for drafting him or Corral after a trade down.

I agree 100%. For the record, I'm a NC State fan, so I KNOW who I want at 6, but trading down and getting Howell plus an extra top 50 pick would be awesome, If we can't get a plug and play LT.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:
55 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

If it was the NFL that may matter. Not as a college player with tons of different factors 

Its a snapshot. His stats are not horrible. Better Comp % 2 years ago, More TD's and Yards 3 years ago. Then figuring in the improved rushing this year--its not all regression unless you are lookin g at it in a limited fashion. The kid makes adjustments to his game, has some tools, and is a dog. IMO He is not the most polished prospect-he was some flaws fore sure-- but there are some positive traits to work with. 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, Michael G said:

Its a snapshot. His stats are not horrible. Better Comp % 2 years ago, More TD's and Yards 3 years ago. Then figuring in the improved rushing this year--its not all regression unless you are lookin g at it in a limited fashion. The kid makes adjustments to his game, has some tools, and is a dog. IMO He is not the most polished prospect-he was some flaws fore sure-- but there are some positive traits to work with. 

18 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

I think you should google before posting…

Oh, give me a break. If those stats were reversed? Folks would be drooling over the kid. 

Every metric except Comp% went down every year. And that went up, then back down. 

Praise the guy for what he is. But the stats don't back the rest up.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:22 AM, iamhubby1 said:

Sam's the only QB in this draft that gets credit for playing bad last year. I wonder why that is?

Pickett played well...no credit for him

Willis played rather well...no credit for him

9746DE52-A92C-4101-A343-462E4E09B015.jpeg.8d1a0eae9f749d094662231696d6acd9.jpeg50AB1AED-A0BE-41F1-B95B-B84B5F08D90A.thumb.jpeg.e32f9db68cafc6dc581e674cfa2fc744.jpeg

Most Passing Yds/TD’s as a three year starter in ACC HISTORY

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

• Pie 2