• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bob McGinn's annual draft spectacular (QB class)

TheSpecialJuan

1. KENNY PICKETT, Pittsburgh (6-3, 219, 4.71, 1): It’s the most common comment made by scout about Pickett: he’s the most ready to play of all the quarterbacks. How good he will play is the question. “There’s nothing there that says he’s going to be a top-half of the league starter,” said one scout. “I don’t think you’ll take him and think, ‘We solved our problem here.’ When you’re in quarterback purgatory it’s not a good place to be. I wouldn’t be mad about taking him. But if I’m the GM I wouldn’t be thinking I’m saving my job.” Came from prospect oblivion in 2021, enjoying by far his best season. “He hadn’t really done anything in his career and he had a hell of a year,” said a second scout. “You’ve got to give that to him. The production and the winning and the playmaking that he showed. He makes good decisions. He’s got moxie. I just don’t think that he’s talented physically. He’s a need-everything-to-go-perfect-for-you starter, not an upper-echelon, I’m winning-games-because-of-you starter.” Rated merely the 11th best overall prospect in New Jersey (Oakhurst) as a prep. Fifth-year senior, four-year starter. “Yeah, he is (the best), but he’s reached his ceiling,” a third scout said. “Mark Whipple (Pitt’s offensive coordinator-quarterbacks coach the past three seasons) has done everything he can to get him ready. He’s done a magnificent job. He will wind up like Matt Hasselbeck. That’s the physical comparison.” Entering 2021 with an NFL passer rating of 82.9 before registering 116.6 in his swan song. His career mark was 92.9. “His arm is plenty good enough to be efficient,” said a fourth scout. “He can make every throw he needs to make. He’s a good athlete for the position. If he had 9 ½-inch hands I don’t think we’re having this discussion in terms of is he a first-rounder.” His hands measured a tiny 8 ½, largely the result of being born with double-jointed thumbs. “That (rainy) weather day in Mobile, it was embarrassing,” said a fifth scout. “It was like he was throwing a watermelon. He couldn’t grip the ball.” One scout said the difference in the football from the college to pro game and the later NFL season resulting in more rough weather could make his small hands even more of an issue. “He’s produced the most and been the most efficient,” a seventh scout said. “That’s the only reason I put him No. 1. I wouldn’t take him in the first round with the hands. He wears the gloves all the time. He has a chance to bust.” Scored 17 on the Wonderlic.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

2. MALIK WILLIS, Liberty (6-0 ½, 223, no 40, 1): Backed up Jarrett Stidham at Auburn in 2017-’18 before entering the transfer portal the following spring when coach Gus Malzahn placed Bo Nix and another quarterback ahead of him. Sat out the season at Liberty, then started 23 games in 2020-’21. “He’s not the most ready right now but he’s by far No. 1 on this list,” one scout said. “He’s got the best arm of the group. He throws a pretty looking ball. He’s super athletic. He’s a really good kid. He’s going to take some time as far as mental development, but as far as physical talent this guy has everything. You hope for a situation when KC drafted (Patrick) Mahomes. They didn’t have to play him right away. It’s gonna take some balls to pick him but you’ve gotta have brains also. If you throw this kid to the fire right away you’re going to ruin him.” His Wonderlic of 32 ranked third best among the top 12 quarterbacks. “It’s the processing, just going from the Auburn system he was in to Liberty’s spread system,” said a second scout. “He’s got the aptitude to catch up once he gets to the NFL. If he can go to a situation where he’s got some time with a quarterback bridge. Somewhere like Atlanta with (Marcus) Mariota, even Seattle with the combination of Drew Lock and Geno Smith.” Finished with a passer rating of 103.1. Rushed for 2,131 yards and 29 touchdowns. Fumbled 17 times in 2020, three times in ’21. “You’ve got to be like the Ravens and commit to what he can do,” a third scout said. “He is explosive. Got a big arm and all that. Just with the mental, I think he’s the one that busts. Chad Kelly lit it up in that (Hugh Freeze-coached) offense. He didn’t pee a drop in the NFL. Was that more character-driven? Yes. But name me somebody from that offense that made the jump to the NFL? Cam Newton’s about the only one. It’s really a sort of spread option. Very RPO-based.” Hands were 9 ½. His 40 time was estimated at 4.47 by one scout. “There is hope,” a fourth scout said. “He’s an athletic half-field read dude. He’s not Michael Vick. He’s in that herd category of quarterback that comes from a system that has to read the full field (in the NFL). The big question is, will he ever be able to win from the pocket, which you have to do in the NFL?” 

• Pie 1

3. MATT CORRAL, Mississippi (6-1 ½, 215, no 40, 1-2): Fourth-year junior. “It’s the tale of two Corrals,” one scout said. “The first few years at Ole Miss he was an absolute (off-field mess). Then the back half he’s the greatest leader and the toughest guy they’ve ever had. (Ole Miss) Lane Kiffin called him the best quarterback in the country. He’s in a system where basically it’s all predetermined. He throws every ball on a line. He doesn’t have a lot of touch.” Started for 2 ½ years, finishing with a passer rating of 106.5. Hands were 9 5/8. “I’d rather have Corral than Willis,” another scout said. “There’s a body quickness that I like. He’s got a very fast release. I know the system bothers some people in terms of a lot of RPO, but there’s elements of that in the league. He can have some early success if he gets in an offense that allows him to throw it around the lot a little bit. He throws it well enough. I’m more worried about him getting hurt. He’s not a big dude.” Rushed 334 times in 37 games (27 starts), gained 1,338 (4.0) and scored 18 TDs. Departed his first high school in California and went elsewhere as a senior after getting into a physical altercation with the son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky. Wonderlic of 15 was the lowest among the top 12 at the position. “He has the biggest bust potential,” a third scout said. “By far. He’s got a lot of off-the-field poo. He’s little. He gets hurt a lot … He’s not as big of a dickhead as this guy was, but there’s a lot of Johnny Manziel to this guy. Party boy. The team likes him more than they respect who he is overall because he’s a baller on Saturday. I wouldn’t bet on that guy. He plays in a backyard football scheme and doesn’t have to do much mentally. He’s at the line of scrimmage with one read.” His speed was estimated by a scout at 4.82

https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-3-qb-bet-on-teams-in-need-rolling?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxODA2OTk3MSwicG9zdF9pZCI6NTI2MzcxNjcsIl8iOiJiQjErWCIsImlhdCI6MTY1MDY2MDQzMSwiZXhwIjoxNjUwNjY0MDMxLCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMjIyMjU4Iiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.tNL6JSSYQXaQuSWaX4lZ1t5I1ZeDR3ZQKBmhLjzye5c&s=r

• Pie 1

If we were to go QB I want Willis, but only if we red shirt him. If we drafted Willis and I was GM, I would sign Duane Brown for LT starting role, sign QB Fitzpatrick, and let Fitz and Darnold battle it out for starter, Willis is third string this year, and franchise leading QB next season.

For the record I want LT at 6. 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Beer 1

An NFL offensive coordinator told Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer Ole Miss QB Matt Corral has “off-field questions.”

“He’s kind of a mess. I’m not sure you want him leading your program. His issues aren’t the kind solved by giving millions of dollars." Corral had the lowest Wonderlic (15) of the top 12 quarterbacks. The character concerns date back to high school and Corral’s first two years at Ole Miss, where off-field issues kept him sidelined as a two-year starter. There are doubts Corral can run an NFL offense coming from Lane Kiffin’s zone-read scheme, giving a wide range of outcomes in a weak class with no consensus. Corral had top-30 visits with the Eagles, Falcons, Panthers, and Steelers

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't want any quarterback in this draft.

But I acknowledge it could happen.

Indifferent at this point.  Would not surprise me one way or the other no matter who's selected.  

I'm sure they will pass on someone we could drastically us somewhere on this team. Could use help nearly everywhere.  Except long snapper.

I'm prepared to be disappointed when they pass on Icky if he is there at 6.  If they pick a qb at 6 I'm prepared to laugh my ever lovin ass off.  Watching the Huddle explode will be glorious. 

Then I settle back down to Indifference until this team shows us something to be proud of.

• Pie 2