• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Panthers had difficulty reaching a consensus on QB’s

WarPanthers89

From Riot Report and Joe Person article via The Athletic:

I’m told the Panthers have had difficulty reaching a consensus on how the quarterbacks stack up, not surprising given that there’s no Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow at the top of it. Again, that’s another reason to take a tackle in the first round — something the Panthers haven’t done since the Bush administration (the second one).

After getting the tackle, Fitterer shouldn’t just kick his feet up and wait for Saturday to roll around when the Panthers pick again. To this point, Fitterer has been protective of future picks, telling teams he wasn’t interested in giving up a 2 or 3 in 2023 to move up this year.

He also said there are a couple of quarterbacks the Panthers would feel comfortable taking at 6, which very well could have been a smokescreen. But there are quarterbacks they’d feel better about in the second round, including North Carolina’s Sam Howell and, presumably, Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis if one of them were to drop (Willis probably won’t get past the Steelers at 20).

Option B (or is it C? D?) at quarterback is to get through the draft and see if the price has dropped on Jimmy Garoppoloor Baker Mayfield, or if San Francisco or Cleveland would at least be willing to kick in some cash.

As he did before free agency, Fitterer pointed out the cost effectiveness of drafting and developing a quarterback. When evaluating veteran QBs versus rookies, Fitterer said teams also have to ask themselves why some of these guys are still available.

9EF71D9A-4107-47A0-A434-0692036721B6.jpeg

DD95A861-87B2-4C93-81A6-EC932D91B407.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Person said on a podcast the team really likes Howell and could look into trading into the 2nd to get him. 

If we go LT in round one I’m good with anything else we do as long as we don’t risk high future draft picks. Makes you wonder if we could pull it off because Fitt said yesterday he has already told teams he is not giving up future 1-3 round picks.

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

If we go LT in round one I’m good with anything else we do as long as we don’t risk high future draft picks. Makes you wonder if we could pull it off because Fitt said yesterday he has already told teams he is not giving up future 1-3 round picks.

I dont know how you get back into the top half of the 2nd without giving up future capital 

Ive been on record I would trade cmac in a second to Buffalo for their first to get a qb at the end of the round if they are dead set on a rookie this year. 

• Pie 7

14 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

It would take a future first to move into the 2nd this year or a highly valuable player

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

It would take a future first to move into the 2nd this year or a highly valuable player

I think they must trade back in the first round with the 6th pick, in order to pick up a selection in the 2nd round and hopefully, additional picks. Maybe the Panthers could get Trevor Penning and then Sam Howell?

• Pie 1

I think it’s definitely option A to trade down. The problem is everyone in the league knows our game plan and top need. We don’t even need to lie or throw out smoke screens because anyone can see our only three options and we don’t want to stay at 6 unless one of the 2 top LT’s fall to us.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

True and I believe a player is much more likely if we were to go that route. Fitt has been very vocal about protecting future picks which is….refreshing. I believe they all realize what the Sam trade did to us. 

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Person said on a podcast the team really likes Howell and could look into trading into the 2nd to get him. 

That's probably where lack of consensus comes in, and at 6 with the Pick it Pitt lovers.

Both fail to add up to a real NFL QB.

Strong 2022!