• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik WIllis

janderson20vt

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You'd probably have a tough time finding a nicer kid.

Oh yeah. If anyone deserves success in this QB class, it is Willis. I hope he is able to stick in the NFL for a while and become financially secure. Can't say I ever see him being a regular NFL starter but if he works really hard, it could happen. The skills are there, no questions about that.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Absolutely agree. I don't have a ton of respect for the "muh system" type coaches. Any decent coach can win given a roster that fits his ideal philosophies. A great coach can tweak his systems and philosophies to fit his talent and that flexibility allows him to largely ignore scheme fits and simply focus on acquiring the best possible talent. Relying on ideal scheme fits just shoehorns you into bad spots.

That's a philosophical question...

The Steelers have always been adamant about getting players that fit their system, and they've been pretty successful with it.

The Patriots are the only team I can think of off the top of my head who pick players and adjust the schemes, but I'm wondering if that's going to continue with Josh McDaniels gone.

There are way more teams that use the Steelers model than there are that emulate the Patriots. And admittedly, the fact that it takes superior coaching prowess to do what the Patriots do probably plays in.

To put it bluntly, I really can't see Matt Rhule being smart enough to pull something like that off.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's a philosophical question...

The Steelers have always been adamant about getting players that fit their system, and they've been pretty successful with it.

The Patriots are the only team I can think of off the top of my head who pick players and adjust the schemes, but I'm wondering if that's going to continue with Josh McDaniels gone.

There are way more teams that use the Steelers model than there are that emulate the Patriots. And admittedly, the fact that it takes superior coaching prowess to do what the Patriots do probably plays in.

To put it bluntly, I really can't see Matt Rhule being smart enough to pull something like that off.

Because there aren't many coaches with the chops to pull it off. Not many coaches can pull a Dean Smith and evolve from running the Four Corners offense to running your butt off in the shot clock era.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Because there aren't many coaches with the chops to pull it off. Not many coaches can pull a Dean Smith and evolve from running the Four Corners offense to running your butt off in the shot clock era.

McDaniels could.

McAdoo? Maybe, but I'm not so sure.

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I've been saying the same thing. Never listen to the hype. 

Exactly. Without the media hype, no one here would be talking about him being a great kid, a solid leader, a possible god tier QB in the making if he has the right program, etc. Maybe like ... one poster here would be like: the Liberty QB has a good arm. That's it. That's all we'd know. He'd be in Zappe, Glass territory in terms of talk. You guys got bamboozled.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think Lance was ready day one but I think he is going to adapt well once he gets more reps. 

I mean McEvoy and Avery have already said that Willis has a better arm than Lance (they worked with both as well as Fields and Watson). So if Willis has the better arm, he’s smart like people think he is, and he puts in the work like people think he will… what’s to stop him from being a good QB?

It’s the Josh Allen situation all over again. People keep trying to dispute but it’s just not different. Only difference in the two is their physical build… I’d venture to say I’m probably the only one who has seen Willis play live and his tape does not display his athleticism. So for those that question it… I’ll rely on my first hand account over their YouTube video critiques.

I personally think the tools are there for a coach to develop. At the very worst you are getting Hurts and at the very best… who knows.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I mean McEvoy and Avery have already said that Willis has a better arm than Lance (they worked with both as well as Fields and Watson). So if Willis has the better arm, he’s smart like people think he is, and he puts in the work like people think he will… what’s to stop him from being a good QB?

It’s the Josh Allen situation all over again. People keep trying to dispute but it’s just not different. Only difference in the two is their physical build… I’d venture to say I’m probably the only one who has seen Willis play live and his tape does not display his athleticism. So for those that question it… I’ll rely on my first hand account over their YouTube video critiques.

I personally think the tools are there for a coach to develop. At the very worst you are getting Hurts and at the very best… who knows.

I agree..