• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not going to calibrate by our staff's standards because they have proven conclusively that they have no fuging idea what they are doing.

He's a third rounder, so I have no intentions of saddling him with 1st round expectations. If he falls flat on his face as a player, I will gripe about the 3rd rounder and skewer the coaches but I am not gonna get upset at a 3rd round draft pick QB for not ending up being a franchise player.

Oh I get not being as upset if he fails because he was a much cheaper investment than a first rounder. Our strategy for him isn’t to simply be a backup. Whether we achieve that or not is up in the air, but Fitt has said “he is our future” already in his press conference. That makes me think he is going to be treated like a day one pick QB vs a third rounder. 

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I had two QBs in this draft as day one ready, Corral was one.

I'm oddly excited about this. Putting him on the bench would be a kill joy.

He and Strong can play now imo.

You can't win with Darnold. Get the kid in as quick as we can get him ready and let him sink or swim. Don't "pull a Christensen" and leave him on the bench behind a trash vet and barely give yourself a chance to evaluate him in actual game situations.

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we weren't taking Howell then Corral was my #2.

Both seem like tough, competitive players. Corral is more suited for our WCO shorter, quicker passes. Howell has the better deep ball and could be better in a deeper vertical passing scheme offense. Howell has a shot to take over the starting job in Washington sooner better later.

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not going to calibrate by our staff's standards because they have proven conclusively that they have no fuging idea what they are doing.

He's a third rounder, so I have no intentions of saddling him with 1st round expectations. If he falls flat on his face as a player, I will gripe about the 3rd rounder and skewer the coaches but I am not gonna get upset at a 3rd round draft pick QB for not ending up being a franchise player.

This. Expectation is already too high for the kid and if he turns out to be a career backup then criticizing trading a future 3rd is valid 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Both seem like tough, competitive players. Corral is more suited for our WCO shorter, quicker passes. Howell has the better deep ball and could be better in a deeper vertical passing scheme offense. Howell has a shot to take over the starting job in Washington sooner better later.

Yeah, I think he's going into a good roster situation with Wentz being cuttable after this season not to mention fragile. We're a tough situation for a rookie QB to walk into with our staffing situation. It was past time for us to part ways with Ron but for all his flaws Matt Rhule makes Ron Rivera look like Vince Lombardi in comparison.

4 minutes ago, RJK said:

This. Expectation is already too high for the kid and if he turns out to be a career backup then criticizing trading a future 3rd is valid 

Disagree.. He was a 3rd round pick and compensation for taking a swing is reasonable.. If he ends up being just a backup.. Well that's what 3rd round QB'S are usually taking for..

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I get not being as upset if he fails because he was a much cheaper investment than a first rounder. Our strategy for him isn’t to simply be a backup. Whether we achieve that or not is up in the air, but Fitt has said “he is our future” already in his press conference. That makes me think he is going to be treated like a day one pick QB vs a third rounder. 

If he loses the job conclusively to Darnold, that's when I am gonna turn on Fitterer pretty hard.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

The league as a whole basically made moves in free agency to handle QB openings because this QB class was so poor. 

Agreed.. So happy we only took a 3rd round swing on this class and didn't commit a 1st or 2nd round pick..

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can't win with Darnold. Get the kid in as quick as we can get him ready and let him sink or swim. Don't "pull a Christensen" and leave him on the bench behind a trash vet and barely give yourself a chance to evaluate him in actual game situations.

Since you seem to like the Jets philosophy, what’s your take on Zach Wilson. Has he got the goods or no? 

7 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Disagree.. He was a 3rd round pick and compensation for taking a swing is reasonable.. If he ends up being just a backup.. Well that's what 3rd round QB'S are usually taking for..

Maybe that’s what backups usually go for but in this case there were players that fill that role who would’ve been available in the 4th. Trading up may have not been necessary. We’ll see