• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, RJK said:

Maybe that’s what backups usually go for but in this case there were players that fill that role who would’ve been available in the 4th. Trading up may have not been necessary. We’ll see 

Who!! Howell?? Maybe.. But your missing the fact you're still taking a swing on upside.. And by most scouts and analysts Wills and Corral had the most upside in this class..

3 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Since you seem to like the Jets philosophy, what’s your take on Zach Wilson. Has he got the goods or no? 

I wonder if Zach Wilson would have gone that high this year. Seems like since there was a consensus good QB group last year he just got overhyped. Hard to go from BYU competition to the NFL. Corral's style is more like Wilson but his experience is more like Mac Jones, who came in ready to go, Belichick helps obviously. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I wonder if Zach Wilson would have gone that high this year. Seems like since there was a consensus good QB group last year he just got overhyped. Hard to go from BYU competition to the NFL. Corral's style is more like Wilson but his experience is more like Mac Jones, who came in ready to go, Belichick helps obviously. 

Wilson's arm talent and ability to throw lasers off platform is really rare. That wouldn't have changed this year.

Just watching some random clips I'm pretty sure he's already better in the pocket than Darnold. No panic, seems patient and will move around in the pocket rather than scramble at the first sign of pressure. He might take a beating because of it but he also doesn't strike me as the type to get shell shocked easily. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Just watching some random clips I'm pretty sure he's already better in the pocket than Darnold. No panic, seems patient and will move around in the pocket rather than scramble at the first sign of pressure. He might take a beating because of it but he also doesn't strike me as the type to get shell shocked easily. 

It's really difficult to be worse. Darnold is a natural panicker and I don't think that can be fixed.

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

Corrall is not Grier. No one ever talked seriously about him being a starter. There really was nothing in his play that would suggest that he would be anything more than a back up and the only reason he was selected was because Hurney liked his interview. No one else would have likely drafted him until in much later rounds, if at all.

Meanwhile, Corrall has plenty of dynamic qualities that can translate into the pro game. Don't get hung up on this whole "he wasn't drafted until the third round" thing. The guy has legit potential as a starter and he's definitely worth giving him a shot. 

I've said this before, lumping him with Grier just because both were selected in the third is at best unfair and at worst lazy. Expectation is/was vastly different between the two, as is their talent, as is their potential.

3rd round QBs seldomly work out to be starters, period.  If he does, great!  We got a steal.  I'm not holding my breath, though, and that is my entire point.  By the way, Hurney was said to have a 1st round grade on Grier.  Poo it all you want, but our GM at the time thought he had a steal too.

In summary: if Corral ends up QB1, freaking awesome! If Corral busts or peaks out as a QB2, it was to be expected.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

38 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

3rd round QBs seldomly work out to be starters, period.  If he does, great!  We got a steal.  I'm not holding my breath, though, and that is my entire point.  By the way, Hurney was said to have a 1st round grade on Grier.  Poo it all you want, but our GM at the time thought he had a steal too.

In summary: if Corral ends up QB1, freaking awesome! If Corral busts or peaks out as a QB2, it was to be expected.

Bingo. 

So people need to understand this in the event that Corral doesn't become more than a backup and not freak out on the kid. Have REASONABLE expectations. If he exceeds them, amazing. If he doesn't, that's fine too.