• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If only there was an available RPO expert QB to mentor Corral....

Zod

3 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

Won't happen unfortunately because we have Sam sitting here taking Cams roster spot. Need to lose Sam to let Cam mentor him I think. I'd much rather go Cam, Coral, PJ instead of the Sam, Coral, PJ we currently have on paper but I don't see a way of getting rid of Sam at this point since we brilliantly picked up that fifth year option and I don't know a single team that would take him paying that kind of money for the type of production we saw last year from him.

Mark my words the Sam Darnald trade will become one of the worst trades in franchise history. Not just for what we gave up but for what the chain reaction caused. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

1. You can’t run RPO’s as often or in the same manner as Corral did in college in the NFL

2. Corral doesn’t need a Cam to teach him anything - this is coming from a Cam truther. He learned from one of the best offensive minds in CFB right now in Lane Kiffin

3. If I’m not mistaken, McAdoo runs a west coast scheme that can work in conjunction with RPOs, but doesn’t need to rely on them (see Giants 2014 season)

You're not mistaken.

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Why is PJ on the roster? They are clearly afraid to start him, so why keep him at all? I like PJ but if it came to this, cut PJ, sign Cam, and bury Sam on the depth chart.

Oh I agree with you but on that but I have a bad feeling that as long as Sam is on our books getting paid what he is that they will want him playing in games. Plus I think it's some of Rhule's ego coming into play here as well. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

Mark my words the Sam Darnald trade will become one of the worst trades in franchise history. Not just for what we gave up but for what the chain reaction caused. 

Damn right. I feel the exact same way. Not just the trade itself but for how much chain reaction it caused. Such a horrible move.

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

A poster said we should cut bait and move on. That's what needs to happen.

Either your rolling with Golden Corral or Cam for a year or two while Corral redshirts. 

Redshirting Corral may be the best thing considering the off the field we've heard about. Let him condition, adjust, study, learn behind one of the best leaders at QB in professional football.

Cam was that 15-1, he willed that team and they followed.

Just now, Panthers Rhule said:

He already knows how to RPO. He's needs a mentor for the other stuff. 

People are looking at this the wrong way.

When the team had Newton, they had two choices. They could teach him the pro game or just build an offense around what he already knew.

Under Shula, they built the offense around his college concepts.

When they scrapped Shula and hired Turner, they did what they should have done from the beginning and coached him up to the pro game.

The last thing I want to see them do is make the same mistake with Matt Corral.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Zod said:

Cam mentoring this young man in an rpo makes too much sense. 

You mean the guy that habitually over-threw his receivers and didn't know how to slide (or wouldn't) sacrificing his body and career?  The guy that would throw a towel over his head and mope in despair on the bench when facing adversity? Sounds like a great idea for someone that suffers from depression and alcoholism.

No thank you.  I don't want Sideshow Bob and his wardrobe anywhere near this kid.

Edited by panfanman
Addition
  • Poo 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

People are looking at this the wrong way.

When the team had Newton, they had two choices. They could teach him the pro game or just build an offense around what he already knew.

Under Shula, they built the offense around his college concepts.

When they scrapped Shula and hired Turner, they did what they should have done from the beginning and coached him up to the pro game.

The last thing I want to see them do is make the same mistake with Matt Corral.

They 100% should coach Corral up to the pro game.

The questions are…

1) Can this staff coach

2) If they can, can Corral learn

I’ve maintained that if they stick with what he’s comfortable with then his ceiling looks like that of Tua Tagovailoa. I just don’t see QB’s without elite arm strength or elite athleticism succeeding in an offense that runs a lot of RPO… Tua is a middling pack QB and the rest of the guys that have a lot of RPO pulls are Mahomes, Herbert, and Allen… I don’t think Corral has any characteristics that match up with those three.

He needs to be taught the NFL game and hopefully for our sake he can learn it.

I think that if he’s taught a pro style offense then he’ll have a chance. He does some things well: throws a solid ball, has good footwork, good pocket awareness, he’s mobile… I think that’s enough to try and teach him a pro style offense. It’s up to our staff to coach and Corral to learn.

If we try to tailor our offense to him then I have a lot of concerns. Lack of arm strength, a minimal read college system, and durability. I just don’t see any QB’s that run a solid amount RPO at the NFL level and do it well having his same limitations.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

They 100% should coach Corral up to the pro game.

The questions are…

1) Can this staff coach

2) If they can, can Corral learn

I’ve maintained that if they stick with what he’s comfortable with then his ceiling looks like that of Tua Tagovailoa. I just don’t see QB’s without elite arm strength or elite athleticism succeeding in an offense that runs a lot of RPO… Tua is a middling pack QB and the rest of the guys that have a lot of RPO pulls are Mahomes, Herbert, and Allen… I don’t think Corral has any characteristics that match up with those three.

He needs to be taught the NFL game and hopefully for our sake he can learn it.

McAdoo's history would suggest that while he might not be a great head coach, he can coach quarterbacks.

I'm hoping history is correct.

• Pie 1

Play action and Bootlegs are what need to be incorporated from what he is used to. A few RPO plays sprinkled here and there are fine but aren't needing to be relied on. Sam a lot of RPOs called for him randomly because of his sneaky quickness. They won't work as consistently with a guy expected to be more athletic.