• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If only there was an available RPO expert QB to mentor Corral....

Zod

2 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

Won't happen unfortunately because we have Sam sitting here taking Cams roster spot. Need to lose Sam to let Cam mentor him I think. I'd much rather go Cam, Coral, PJ instead of the Sam, Coral, PJ we currently have on paper but I don't see a way of getting rid of Sam at this point since we brilliantly picked up that fifth year option and I don't know a single team that would take him paying that kind of money for the type of production we saw last year from him.

Why is PJ on the roster? They are clearly afraid to start him, so why keep him at all? I like PJ but if it came to this, cut PJ, sign Cam, and bury Sam on the depth chart.

30 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Should have Rivera coach the kid.

People need to differentiate between the spread and RPO. You run the RPO out of the spread but they aren’t the same concept.

Cam played in a Spread offense at Auburn but the RPO was rarely run out of Chizik’s offense. In reality Rivera used Chizik’s spread offense but added the RPO concept. The RPO concept blew up in 2012 when Cam, Wilson, Kaepernick, and RGIII torched the NFL with the RPO. Since then the RPO has been more successfully defended against and drafting a QB from a system that calls RPO plays damn near 50% of the time is concerning.

Kiffin ran more RPO’s out of the spread than nearly every coach in college football. The only QB in the NFL that has played in an offense with that much RPO action is Tua Tagovailoa

I don’t think this is a scenario where you have Mahomes who has elite athleticism and an elite arm running the RPO at a significant rate. It seems to be more in line with Tua running the RPO.

I would not assume they would run the RPO just for Corral.  He will have to learn whatever McAdoo decides to run. I'm excited to see how that plays out.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I love Cam and that shoulder might be good for a few few games

id pay to see him a million times  over  vs  freaking Darnold 

i don’t think Cam would do it though  

He was pretty outspoken (for him anyway) about wanting to play for a winner   I’m not sure what Rhule brings represents that and I don’t know how the OC feels about Cam 

my wish for him is retirement   too many hits for too long and physically, Corral looks like a teen age standing next to him   I’m not sure they are the same in RPO approach 

Fitt-tastic has done his part, kept his promises. He's done everything to make it attractive for Cam to return even keeping Robby around, who was the first to publicly lobby for Cam.

Icky is just the icing on the cake Cam may need to suit back up. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

Fitt-tastic has done his part, kept his promises. He's done everything to make it attractive for Cam to return even keeping Robby around, who was the first to publicly lobby for Cam.

Icky is just the icing on the cake Cam may need to suit back up. 

Cam doesn't want any part of this. It's pointless to even discuss.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I would not assume they would run the RPO just for Corral.  He will have to learn whatever McAdoo decides to run. I'm excited to see how that plays out.

Talent is there it’s just about if he can put two and two together and learn an NFL system, some can and then some can’t (Sam Darnold).

Personally, I don’t have concerns. His competitive spirit and personality reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins. He thinks he’s the best and he’s got a confidence to him that doesn’t come off assholish (Baker Mayfield).

My only concerns are picking up the system and durability.

I don’t think he’ll be a bust and I’ve maintained that I could see him being very similar to Tua in that you tailor your offense toward what he does best.

Nah, you don’t bring Cam in to mentor him on RPO. 

You would bring Cam in to teach him NFL work habits.  Cam’s an all time worker.  Leadership on the field from game day to practice.  How to deal with the nonsense.  

We have no one for a young QB to learn from. Especially one that might like a little fun.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

If Sam's not the future go ahead and let him walk so he can do his thing, whatever that may be. Don't hold the man.

I think that release would need to take place before QB1 would sign up.

I mean you are kindof not wrong.  Really not sure what the point is of keeping Sam on the roster at this point.  Just cut him loose, whats he going to do, mentor Matt?

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

You would bring Cam in to teach him NFL work habits.  Cam’s an all time worker.  Leadership on the field from game day to practice.  How to deal with the nonsense.  

We have no one for a young QB to learn from. Especially one that might like a little fun.  

This^

21 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

He’s got the RPO down, needs to focus on getting under center and playing from the pocket to complete his game.

This, he doesn’t need to learn the RPO. He needs to learn an NFL offense and how to go through his reads.

He’s a competitor, he’s mobile, he throws a solid ball, he’s got good footwork and technique, and he’s got good pocket awareness.

Concerns include the system he came from and his arm strength.

What we need to figure out is if he he’s a one read RPO QB or is he a guy that can scan the field and have the RPO as a tool at his disposal.

There are three QB’s to take a look at when discussing the RPO (Mahomes, Herbert, and Tagovailoa). The Chiefs, Chargers, and Dolphins ran the RPO more than any other teams last year (Pittsburgh was also up there but Roethlisberger wasn’t in his prime so I’m not including him). Two of those guys above have elite physical traits and rockets for arms, one of those guys has decent physical traits and his arm is average. I personally think we are looking at a QB like Tua, if he had the physical gifts and arm strength of the other two then the only concern would be if he can process an NFL offense.

My main concerns stem from not having elite arm strength in a spread offense that focuses on the RPO. I honestly would have felt better about Joe Brady developing Corral than McAdoo. Corral is exactly the type of QB that Brady wanted… oh well.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

38 minutes ago, CRA said:

That’s a great point ..or two