• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alexander analyzes the upcoming season

Mr. Scot

In a non-paywall article, The Observer's Jonathan Alexander talks about how that Panthers can improve for the coming season.

Analysis: How the Panthers can avoid their fifth consecutive losing season

(fifth consecutive? damn, that hurts) 😖

It's a good article overall, and includes a surprising note regarding draft night. Alexander says that Matt Corral could have been in consideration at pick six, but the more highly touted Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis were not.

In a trade, Carolina wanted Cleveland to pay the majority of Mayfield’s $18.9 million guaranteed salary, somewhere in the range of $13-14 million. Those conversations stalled and Carolina traded up to get Corral, who was their favorite quarterback in the 2022 draft class, with the 94th pick. They also strongly considered quarterback Sam Howell, two sources said. Neither Kenny Pickett nor Malik Willis were under serious consideration.

Regarding veteran possibilities, Alexander called Baker Mayfield "the best and most likely option"...

Finding a veteran rental who is an upgrade would allow Corral to sit and develop.

Mayfield seems like the best, and most likely option over San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo even if Panthers receiver Robbie Anderson isn’t thrilled with the idea of Mayfield coming to Charlotte.

But Garoppolo’s recent shoulder surgery, as well as his injury history, is a far greater concern for some within the organization. The Panthers want no part of his $26.9 million salary, and the 49ers haven’t shown a willingness to take to carry those payments in a trade.

The Panthers are open to signing quarterback Cam Newton, but he would not enter camp as the starter, and would have to agree to a smaller salary.

Discussions with the Browns and other teams will likely continue, but the Panthers are more likely to wait until the Browns potentially cut Mayfield to pick him up, sources have said.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 3

Interesting.  It was reported that we had Corral as our QB1 this draft, likely due to McAdoo’s love of his quick release and decision making, so that at least checks out.  Unlike everyone and their grandma apparently having a first round grade on Tom Brady but he miraculously just kept sliding past all of them.  

• Pie 1

This remains a hot topic for readers and media alike so I get the amount of attention it gets.  But one wonders how much time the Panthers are spending on this now after the draft is over.  I suspect (and hope) its marginal. 

Personally I'm more interested in knowing about other positions they are trying to upgrade.  I am sure it is happening just hope something works itself out.  I think DE/Edge is a little too much to ask for now but a LB would probably be a good thing without breaking the bank.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

This remains a hot topic for readers and media alike so I get the amount of attention it gets.  But one wonders how much time the Panthers are spending on this now after the draft is over.  I suspect (and hope) its marginal. 

Personally I'm more interested in knowing about other positions they are trying to upgrade.  I am sure it is happening just hope something works itself out.  I think DE/Edge is a little too much to ask for now but a LB would probably be a good thing without breaking the bank.

As far as quarterback, their time is being spent evaluating veteran options and whether that's the best path forward.

As far as other spots, I have no doubt those are being evaluated as well.

More info on the quarterback situation from Albert Breer...

The Panthers’ quarterback situation remains in flux. New offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo had hopes he could turn Sam Darnold around, and there’s reason for cautious optimism there—coming back from the weekend following the team’s first week of on-field work, Darnold made a big jump. Meanwhile, rookie Matt Corral picked up the offense nicely, coming from Lane Kiffin’s simplistic, RPO-heavy scheme at Ole Miss. He flashed competitiveness and a whip for a right arm, has had no issues through lighter install days and managed himself well through the heavier installs. Corral is lights-out after the snap but still swimming mentally a little before the snap.

So where does that leave the Panthers? The two operative questions, along those lines, then are whether Darnold can build enough belief in those around him after the way last year went, and how quickly Corral comes along. I don’t think Carolina has the answer to either one of those questions yet, and may not for a while, which leaves the door open for Baker Mayfield. But for Carolina to do it, my sense is the Browns would have to eat a healthy majority of Mayfield’s $18.858 million number for 2022. So for now, they’re monitoring that situation, with how the spring goes for Darnold and Corral, one way or the other, over the next month a big variable that could change their posture with Cleveland. Of course, if the Browns eat more salary sooner, I think the possibility exists he could be moved to Carolina (or Seattle) in the next few weeks.

MMQB

• Pie 3

34 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

I've always had a hunch the local media was overextended on the acquiring Jimmy or Baker angle. They really want this to come true.

I mean there is still a great chance something happens before the start of training camp, I don't think either is medically cleared yet anyway so neither would even pass a physical. 

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I’m with you say baker comes in and wins 8 games.  Then what?

They could probably do that with Sam and have zero drama to put up with.  I just don't see the point of signing Baker Mayfield as he is a marginal (if that) improvement over Darnold. 

• Pie 3