• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Panthers staff not all on same page about acquiring Browns QB Baker Mayfield

1 hour ago, joemac said:
14 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

Don’t even waste your time with this troll. His dad knows Tepper or something *allegedly*

Yeah?  Well my dad works at Nintendo, and he says that this guys dad is full of poo. 

October will mark 9 years since Dad passed on...he was a fine man 🙌.  (but didn't know Tepper)

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

So, all but Sanjay in here believes that a Browns reporter knows exactly what our feelings on Mayfield are and who likes him and who doesn’t? Of course the Browns will not cut Mayfield, yada yada.

Thus feels like a typical why is Mayfield still on the roster puff piece to try and get other teams to make a trade. Seems like the source is the Cleveland staff feeding her info so they hopefully don’t have to cut him and eat the entire cost. We, with Sam is number 1 on the depth chart, are of course the story line for every Mayfield and Jimmy rumor.

Nah, she’s got our direct line and knows Rhule and Tepper love Baker and would trade all of our 2023 picks but by golly McAdoo is saving us from ourselves. Thank god for McAdoo. I mean, we’ve been posting for years as to how much we’ve wanted McAdoo to be available to save this franchise from Rivera and how he was the Huddle’s consensus #1 option before that bastard Rhule was hired.

I’d love to see McAdoo and Corral be the next dynasty as much as anyone, but man the Rhule and Tepper hate is so deep now that a Browns puff piece becomes 100% fact along with the exact actions of every party.

How about it's actually not that hard to believe that a professional staff would have different opinions on a player as polarizing as Baker?  IF our entire staff was itching to get him, we would have him by now.  I have no idea if McAdoo wants him or not and no one thinks he is the savior.  He is just appears to be one of the smarter people in the room when it comes to QBs on this staff (not saying much) which makes sense since he is the OC and Rhule is still relatively new in the NFL.  McAdoo is experienced and been on several different franchises at this point in his career.  No one was really wanting him as our next OC/Pontential HC, but compared to Rhule he is better equipped at this point in both their careers.  

• Beer 1

McAdoo is as meh as meh can get.   He was the best option from the tier of OCs that no team actually wants.  That's just the truth. 

Rhule deserves what he gets.  Tepper too.  It is what it is.  Both should send a thank you letter to Urban and the Jags.   

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If it was a Panthers reporter, I might give it more credence but I’m pretty sure Mark Kay already wrote that we were itching to give up our 2023 2nd round pick for Baker before the draft.

Spot on.

46 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Seems like the source is the Cleveland staff feeding her info so they hopefully don’t have to cut him and eat the entire cost. 

Nah, she’s got our direct line and knows Rhule and Tepper love Baker and would trade all of our 2023 picks but by golly McAdoo is saving us from ourselves. Thank god for McAdoo.

Spot on again.

She has no credible “source” within the Panthers organization (or anywhere else 🤦‍♂️) who knows the internal landscape as it goes to Baker M. and your supposition that a Browns “source” is puppeteering her is entirely plausible, and logical. 

Kudos mate 👍

Signed,

Not Sanjay, never was Sanjay (or Chuck🤣)….😭

(those guys sure made a big impression on a number of you, almost like they haunt you 😳)

Edited by SizzleBuzz

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s not hard to believe. Is it hard to believe that Cleveland is still trying to drum up support for Mayfield instead of just cutting him loose? We have been connected to every QB story this off-season and it’s the same old Rhule wants Jimmy or Baker and McAdoo wants Corral, which is weird because I’ve been told that what Rhule really wants is edgy Sam to succeed and Rhule continues his subterfuge to make sure Corral fails.

If it was a Panthers reporter, I might give it more credence but I’m pretty sure Mark Kay already wrote that we were itching to give up our 2023 2nd round pick for Baker before the draft.

Also, unless we draft the next OBJ or Jamarr Chase to explode our offense, McAdoo may not be the answer. Besides, if McAdoo works wonders with Corral, Rhule is probably head coach in 2023. If he doesn’t, they are probably both gone.

I don't think McAdoo is our answer, just might be better than Rhule (definitely has more experience).  We have been engaged in almost every QB available with Stafford, Russ, Watson etc...  Steve Smith and others closed to the Panthers organizations reported we were going to trade for Baker BEFORE Corral dropped and we traded to get him.  I think our staff refused to start the season with just Sam and PJ, so Corral may have made some satisfied on our staff.  Regardless Fitt himself has said we made add another vet to our QB room, so unfortunately that puts Baker and Jimmy back on the table if the price is right.  

I'm not sure how much good it does for Cleveland to drum up any support for Mayfield at this point.  Maybe if a starter gets hurt or a team somehow becomes QB needy then yeah maybe try to drive up his price some, but as of right now most teams aren't interested in what they are selling unless he comes cheap.

I do agree the Rhule hate is overblown on here.  He was definitely been in over his head, but hopefully he can learn/develop into a decent coach.  If not, I'm not sure I want to waste many more years on him figuring it out.

1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

October will mark 9 years since Dad passed on...he was a fine man 🙌.  (but didn't know Tepper)

You just said a few weeks ago that your dad was playing golf with Pat McCrory.

Having trouble keeping your stories straight?

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

So, all but Sanjay in here believes that a Browns reporter knows exactly what our feelings on Mayfield are and who likes him and who doesn’t? Of course the Browns will not cut Mayfield, yada yada.

Thus feels like a typical why is Mayfield still on the roster puff piece to try and get other teams to make a trade. Seems like the source is the Cleveland staff feeding her info so they hopefully don’t have to cut him and eat the entire cost. We, with Sam is number 1 on the depth chart, are of course the story line for every Mayfield and Jimmy rumor.

Nah, she’s got our direct line and knows Rhule and Tepper love Baker and would trade all of our 2023 picks but by golly McAdoo is saving us from ourselves. Thank god for McAdoo. I mean, we’ve been posting for years as to how much we’ve wanted McAdoo to be available to save this franchise from Rivera and how he was the Huddle’s consensus #1 option before that bastard Rhule was hired.

I’d love to see McAdoo and Corral be the next dynasty as much as anyone, but man the Rhule and Tepper hate is so deep now that a Browns puff piece becomes 100% fact along with the exact actions of every party.

54 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s not hard to believe. Is it hard to believe that Cleveland is still trying to drum up support for Mayfield instead of just cutting him loose? We have been connected to every QB story this off-season and it’s the same old Rhule wants Jimmy or Baker and McAdoo wants Corral, which is weird because I’ve been told that what Rhule really wants is edgy Sam to succeed and Rhule continues his subterfuge to make sure Corral fails.

Also, unless we draft the next OBJ or Jamarr Chase to explode our offense, McAdoo may not be the answer. Besides, if McAdoo works wonders with Corral, Rhule is probably head coach in 2023. If he doesn’t, they are probably both gone.

I've seen nothing where Cabot suggested the Panthers offered a second. Somebody from Bleacher Report suggested the Browns might get a second rounder for him.

Cabot's pre-draft report was that the Panthers had the inside track, but also wanted Cleveland to pay a significant portion of his salary. She was right on both counts (link).

As far as Panther reporters, Ellis Williams and Jonathan Alexander have both said similar things, as have national guys like Jeremy Fowler and Aaron Wilson. Also, given that she cites the Observer in the linked story, it's not exactly farfetched to think she and the Panthers beat writers have compared notes.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Yes, and it hurt me to post what I did above and kind of agree with him. The unbridled hatred of Rhule and Tepper has driven me to it. It’s getting hard to read any thread without that cloud over it. I mean, McAdoo is now on a pedestal as if he was a god. His OC career had two good years which coincided to OBJ coming out of nowhere and being amazing. I remember his rookie fantasy season. McAdoo’s head coaching career ended in year four of OBJ where he only started two games and missed the rest of the season. McAdoo’s offense was 31st that year and when OBJ started they scored 23.5ppg. When he didn’t, they scored 14.2ppg.

Again, I really hope Corral is our super star QB but damn, when McAdoo becomes our savior, we really did hit a low. I mean, he ran some great drafts as HC taking Eli Apple and Evan Engram as his first round picks. Ugh, Sterling Shepard was by far his best pick in 2 drafts. Looking forward to the McAdoo era starting!

The infatuation with McAdoo is really quite amusing. Don't get me wrong, he probably looks like a genius compared to the clown we have running the show now but he really made his name by just being around teams that had successful QB's. It's really unknown how much of that success he was actually responsible for.

• Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

The infatuation with McAdoo is really quite amusing. Don't get me wrong, he probably looks like a genius compared to the clown we have running the show now but he really made his name by just being around teams that had successful QB's. It's really unknown how much of that success he was actually responsible for.

No idea whether McAdoo will succeed with us, but to his credit he did a pretty good job in roles not named "Head Coach".

Lots of guys have failed at that but succeeded at lesser jobs/ For example, I wouldn't judge Dick LeBeau's DC career by his head coaching record.

Given that he has actual NFL experience, it's reasonable to think he'll at least be better than Joe Brady.

(granted, that's a low bar to clear)

• Beer 1