• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

some tweets from OTAs...qb are throwing

10 minutes ago, poundaway said:

We were 32nd in defense staring field position, so this should help.

We were spoiled for a long time by having very solid to very good kickers and punters. The fact that hasn't been the case for a couple of seasons is lost in the river of other poo that the franchise has been drowning in.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

We were spoiled for a long time by having very solid to very good kickers and punters. The fact that hasn't been the case for a couple of seasons is lost in the river of other poo that the franchise has been drowning in.

With adding Roberts as KR and Hekker at Punter, if Zane G. can continue to improve, as he was doing last year before his injury, It'll make a huge difference for ST's play. Nearly as big an impact maybe as the improved OL could make.

Edited by Michael G
  • Beer 1

Just now, Michael G said:

With adding Roberts as KR and Hekker at Punter, if Zane G. can continue to improve, as he was doing last year before his injury, It'll make a huge difference. Nearly as big an impact maybe as the improved OL.

Roberts is a "show me" signing. It's been so long since we had an effective KR that I am just gonna have to see it happen first.

Zane was promising so I hope he can keep that up. I would like to have another long term kicker instead of the perpetual search for one.

I think Hekker immediately makes our punting unit top 10.

• Pie 3

Anyone buying hope on Darnold looking good throwing in OTAs is setting themw loves up for significant disappointment. Throwing the football isn't Darnold's issue. He's a very talented thrower of the football. His problems arise when there's a well prepared defense with a good game plan opposing him. That's when the wheels absolutely fall off and it has nothing to do with his ability to throw a football.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 4

17 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:
17 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

More of our defense getting ripped for 60 yard runs? No thanks. 😂

That's the thing about practice. For somebody to look good, somebody else has gotta look bad 😕

I would assume that everyone on defense knows that when an injury prone CMC runs up the middle, you don't fuggin tackle him!

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Anyone buying hope on Darnold looking good throwing in OTAs is setting themw loves up for significant disappointment. Throwing the football isn't Darnold's issue. He's a very talented thrower of the football. His problems arise when there's a well prepared defense with a good game plan opposing him. That's when the wheels absolutely fall off and it has nothing to do with his ability to throw a football.

Yep his arm talent was the sole trait that many here tried to use to make sense of the trade. But we learned quickly the processing ability just is not there and no amount of coaching or playing more will change it. The Jets had a QB who came off the practice squad post Darnold trade and had better results than anything Sam Darnold has done in college or the NFL. It's a wrap.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He really isn’t anymore. His last two years were his worst two years average wise. Honestly, Hurney screwed us on STs. We should have stuck with Lee and Butker and we’d have had a solid duo for years. I think Hekker will be better than the crap we’ve been dealing with like Gonzalez was a nice change last year but the Rams were 25th last year in punting average. We were worse.

I definitely think if the OL gels, it’s way more important to our team than signing Hekker.

He also had a lot lower workload last season than normal(second fewest punts in his career). We will see. I still think he has tons left in the tank(only 32) and can get us back to being an elite punting unit.

If the OL gels, it can have a bigger impact(although the impact may be muted depending on QB play). I just don't personally believe Bozeman and Corbett are going to be much more than average players. 

TBD. I'm fine being wrong if they do pan out. Ideally we are both wrong and Hekker, Bozeman and Corbett all ball out. My money is personally on Hekker having a much bigger impact on our punting unit than Bozeman/Corbett on the OL.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is this an issue with Darnold, or an issue with the OC?

I really don’t care if Darnold succeeds, but if you’re trying to be objective, he’s never had a good OC situation and it’s not like any other QBs on the teams he’s been on have excelled.

Unfortunately for the NFL QB, so much of whether you make it or not is getting in the right system with the right coaches on the right team.

Look at Matt Stafford for a recent example. He was just so-so to me until he got on the Rams and he went to the next level. 

It may be Sam Darnold has just been very unlucky so far in the support resources around him. Will be very interesting to see what happens this coming season.