• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield watch

ncfan

2 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

The  fact is options for where the Browns can trade Mayfield are seemingly slim. The Panthers may not be ruled out as of yet, but drafting Corral certainly makes it less likely.

The Seahawks are another team with a need at the QB position after trading Russell Wilson this offseason to Denver, but there hasn’t been much noise about any interest in Mayfield.

Other than those two, it becomes difficult to locate a place where Mayfield would be wanted or needed at least with an opportunity to start.

Although I haven't heard any talk about it Tampa Bay would be a good fit for Mayfield who could step in as starting QB when Tom Brady who could suddenly decide to retire again hangs it up.

With Tampa, all they really have to do is wait for him to hit free agency if they had any real interest. Why pay so much for a guy that you will have to re-sign and you can probably get for nickels on a "prove it" deal?

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ncfan said:

With context.

they pointed out

This kind of aligns with Fitty’s Seattle background who was notorious for taking Swing after Swing for QBs until they landed Russ.

and I wouldn’t just brush off this Jonathan Alexander report.

he you to Cover the team here starting out.  And he Still has plenty of connections here.  He recently just got hired as CBS’s sports leading NFL insider (essentially CBS’s version of Adam Schefter or Ian Rappaport)

This is also backed up by the fact we were reportedly considering taking Howell even after we had selected Corral. 

I actually don't dislike the strategy. But, while Seattle eventually ended up with Wilson, Cleveland also did this for the better part of 20 years with little success.

So, we could get Wilson or we could get a parade of bad QB's over the next decade plus.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's what you have to do. This would be somewhat reminiscent of the Seahawks signing Matt Flynn then drafting Wilson in the 3rd. We drafted Corral in the 3rd and them we'd be trading for Mayfield. That gives you two viable options in house without huge investments in either.

For real.  If we get Baker in here and only have to pay him like 5 million dollars this season, thats about as big a win as you could possibly ask for.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Makes sense.  Right now all we have is a 3rd round rookie in the QB room.  Sam shouldn't start for a NFL team and PJ doesn't belong on a NFL roster.  Baker and Corral is a MUCH better QB room.  Still not great, but MUCH better.  

I get that mindset but my argument is that does absolutely nothing for the long term health of this franchise.  Its yet another reactive move by this front office.  Baker on a one year deal doesnt do poo for us

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 2

I dont understand how these guys that make millions to do their job think Baker Mayfield is worth trading for.

He was the obvious weak link on a stacked browns roster. He is a huge prick. His teammates do not care for him.

We do not need this diva in Carolina. fuging Stupidity. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I get that mindset but my argument is that does absolutely nothing for the long term health of this franchise.  Its yet another reactive move by this front office.  Baker on a one year deal doesnt do poo for us

Sure it does it keeps us on our current trajectory of a new trash ass, throw away, left-over QB every season. 

Start Corral and forget about these bums like Jimmy Generic and Baker Mayfield.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, joemac said:

For real.  If we get Baker in here and only have to pay him like 5 million dollars this season, thats about as big a win as you could possibly ask for.  

Even if it fails, it was a MUCH better gamble than Teddy or Darnold at their price tags.

If you are gonna gamble, make it THAT kind of gamble. Not a cap or draft pick nuking deal.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Unless Fitt thinks he could be the guy depending on how he plays. He also may give Corral time to develop while keeping the team competitive (yes I know you don’t like him sitting, but it’s not uncommon for coaches to do this). He could also help develop players like Marshall and Tremble by having a competent QB throwing them passes. There are some pros/cons to signing him. The main thing is don’t overpay him or give away much to acquire him.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yeah but you may as well throw out the long term POV at this point. We have idiots running the show so the long term is bad to medicore, most likely. 

Just think about it from a one season, fan perspective. Wouldn't you rather just see a Baker/Corral battle than watching Darnold/Corral? I know I would. And when Baker is good, he is pretty fun to watch. 

That's what matters at this point. Watchable football.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is also backed up by the fact we were reportedly considering taking Howell even after we had selected Corral. 

I actually don't dislike the strategy. But, while Seattle eventually ended up with Wilson, Cleveland also did this for the better part of 20 years with little success.

So, we could get Wilson or we could get a parade of bad QB's over the next decade plus.

There's roughly a 50% bust rate on QB's in the 1st round, I think that stat is lost on people, every year a player, or players are taken top 10 and flame out early. 

Just look at Baker's class, for all the poo he gets, Darnold, and Rosen who were consensus number one QB's on most boards are terrible, whereas Baker who was viewed as the 3rd is the better of the three. Keep in mind Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson <<< this was the same class for 2018, 5 QB's in the first round.

The year before in 2017 was Watson, Mahomes (Trubisky drafted before both).

Those were some good QB years overall, but history shows it's hard to get one so you have to swing when you have an opportunity, it's why I wanted Fields even IF / THOUGH we traded for Sam, as Sam was not a proven commodity, then picking up the 5th year, Matt's a freaking idiot. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I dont understand how these guys that make millions to do their job think Baker Mayfield is worth trading for.

He was the obvious weak link on a stacked browns roster. He is a huge prick. His teammates do not care for him.

We do not need this diva in Carolina. fuging Stupidity. 

Baker played with a separated shoulder all season.

The narrative that his teammates don't like him is asinine. His teammates like him just fine. All the "buzz" about the rift between Baker and the team is twitter bullshit and hot take artists that stir up bullshit for clicks:

Yet, the hysteria around Baker rages on, to the point where people are literally hallucinating false narratives. Take podcaster John Middlekauff (28:15) who “quoted” Greg Newsome as saying about the Browns players:

“They all loved Odell, didn’t like Baker.”

But in actual reality, Newsome said:

“The crazy thing, Baker was a great teammate too.”

Newsome literally said that Baker was a “great teammate” and Middlekauff heard him say that the whole team hated Baker. That’s literally an hallucination.

Here’s the exact quote from Myles:

“People come and go, and this is one of those changes. I hope the best for him. I hope he moves on and he does well for himself… He’s played well when he’s healthy. When he’s healthy, he can do some pretty good things for a team. Just has to find his niche again. I think he has to prove himself, has to get healthy.”

Nick Chubb, had to say about Baker:

“He’ll still always be one of my best friends. He’s a great guy. I know with his intensity and his attitude, wherever he lands, he’ll be ready.”

The franchise was a factory of sadness before he got there. 

Now, do I think he will make us good enough to win the super bowl?

No.

Do I think he's good enough to take us to the postseason?

Probably.

Is the pricetag Cleveland wants for him worth it for a one year rental?

No.

Baker isn't anywhere near as bad as people on here seem to be making him out to be. He had a down year because he was injured. He's a perfectly fine Starting QB in the NFL and has shown he can lead a team to the playoffs. I don't want him though because of how desperate Rhule seems to be in all of this and I'm afraid we will overpay when we in fact have all the leverage in the world right now. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

There's roughly a 50% bust rate on QB's in the 1st round, I think that stat is lost on people, every year a player, or players are taken top 10 and flame out early. 

Just look at Baker's class, for all the poo he gets, Darnold, and Rosen who were consensus number one QB's on most boards are terrible, whereas Baker who was viewed as the 3rd is the better of the three. Keep in mind Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson <<< this was the same class for 2018, 5 QB's in the first round.

The year before in 2017 was Watson, Mahomes (Trubisky drafted before both).

Those were some good QB years overall, but history shows it's hard to get one so you have to swing when you have an opportunity, it's why I wanted Fields even IF / THOUGH we traded for Sam, as Sam was not a proven commodity, then picking up the 5th year, Matt's a freaking idiot. 

Which really makes Cleveland's run at QB's so amazingly futile. It even defied the statistics at being as bad as it was.