• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule "warming to" starting Darnold?

Mr. Scot

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I have my doubts about that. Statistically he has struggled the most with a clean pocket.

Need some halfway consistent play from the offensive line first. A clean pocket every now and again doesn't mean much if the QB has no faith in his protection.

Edited by MechaZain

Just now, MechaZain said:

Need some halfway consistent play from the offensive line first. A clean pocket every now and then is not going to us match if the quarterback never has faith in the protection.

It isn't going to matter for that QB. He is not an NFL caliber player. His 4 years in the NFL have made that abundantly clear.

Any improvement would likely be marginal, at best. That does what? Elevate him into the bottom 10 starters in the NFL?

That experiment should be over. This isn't like the Teddy situation where he was at least mediocre. He was absolutely awful.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

To be fair, the article is behind a paywall. I was referencing the tweet. And, sorry, your title and the tweet aren't exactly square. 

I would doubt that Rhule has made any decisions upon the starter. Plus, I remember how Rhule was talking about Darnold after the season. He didn't sound exactly enthused about Sam's situation. Lastly, I'd also think that the OC and QB coach would have to weigh in on things during TC before any warming up on a starter would genuinely take place.

"Warming to" doesn't equate to "naming the starter".

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Warming to" doesn't equate to "naming the starter".

I agree, but your title (even with the question mark) kinda alludes to it. You didn't mention Corral at all. At least the tweet alludes to the opinion that Rhule is starting to get comfortable with the idea of going into the season with what's on the roster.

In any event, I sense there's a certain degree or element of smoke and mirrors going on. It may just be par for the course to motivate the guys, or to drive the price down--or at least to nudge the Browns into reality--on Baker to acquire him on the cheap.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I agree, but your title (even with the question mark) kinda alludes to it. You didn't mention Corral at all. At least the tweet alludes to the opinion that Rhule is starting to get comfortable with the idea of going into the season with what's on the roster.

In any event, I sense there's a certain degree or element of smoke and mirrors going on. It may just be par for the course to motivate the guys, or to drive the price down--or at least to nudge the Browns into reality--on Baker to acquire him on the cheap.

I don't see too many people taking the idea of Corral as a day one starter too seriously right now.

If we go with what we've got, I expect that to be Darnold.

If we acquire Mayfield, then it'll likely be him.

Garoppolo? Not so sure.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, kungfoodude said:

It isn't going to matter for that QB. He is not an NFL caliber player. His 4 years in the NFL have made that abundantly clear.

Any improvement would likely be marginal, at best. That does what? Elevate him into the bottom 10 starters in the NFL?

That experiment should be over. This isn't like the Teddy situation where he was at least mediocre. He was absolutely awful.

Pretty much every argument about the O line and Sam was being made for why we needed to give Jimmy Clausen one more year also. Can you imagine how stupid we would have been to pass on Cam at #1 to build around Jimmy because of some hopeful notion that having a better offensive line would make every QB who has shown bad instincts into Tom Brady?

Edited by X-Clown
  • Beer 1

On 6/14/2022 at 2:50 AM, ThPantherFan said:

Behind a very good line Darnold will be a much better QB.

Pardon the bump but...

spacer.png

Not going to pretend I can predict the future here but thus far, if we go by what we've seen from Sam, it could end up being more of the same even if he has all day to throw.

I would be stunned (Pleasantly so, mind you) if Sam managed to look like a "competent" QB after what we've witnessed last season when he had a clean pocket. 

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1