• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Browns and Panther Fan Reactions to the Baker Mayfield Trade

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Of course it would.  But that's all this team has ever been at best. This move will just prolong it.

Not necessarily. If we can get to 9 wins with Baker in his first year here we could continue to improve or if he continues the good year bad year scenario we have Corral waiting for his chance after sitting and learning for a year. That sounds great to me. And this idea that a rookie is held back by sitting is a very new one and not well founded. Look how bad all the rookies not named Matt Jones did last year. The norm is to play vets and let the rookies sit.  Not the other way around.

Edited by panthers55

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not necessarily. If we can get to 9 wins with Baker in his first year here we could continue to improve or if he continues the good year bad year scenario we have Corral waiting for his chance after sitting and learning for a year.sounds great to me. And this idea that a rookie is held back by sitting is a very new one and not well founded. Look how bad all the rookies not named Matt Jones did last year. The norm is to play vets and let the rookies sit.  Ot the other way around.

Baker would control his own destiny if he had a good year though.   Go play somewhere else.  

we could tag him.  Which doesn’t sound like a great idea.  Tagging a streaky QB who got you to around .500

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Not necessarily. If we can get to 9 wins with Baker in his first year here we could continue to improve or if he continues the good year bad year scenario we have Corral waiting for his chance after sitting and learning for a year.sounds great to me. And this idea that a rookie is held back by sitting is a very new one and not well founded. Look how bad all the rookies not named Matt Jones did last year. The norm is to play vets and let the rookies sit.  Ot the other way around.

I'm not advocating for Matt to play at all that season.  My grip is this this move allows Rhule to avoid eating the poo sandwich he's created at the position by extending his tenure even further. 

I agree a vet is needed if they hope to develop Corral.  I have doubts this staff could anyway. 

This team wasn't going to win with Sam or Matt starting this season but Baker allows Rhule to buy more time. I just hate the fact that the douche will be the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Baker would control his own destiny if he had a good year though.   Go play somewhere else.  

we could tag him.  Which doesn’t sound like a great idea.  Tagging a streaky QB who got you to around .500

Let's see how it goes. Too early to crown anyone or kick them to the curb. If we have a winning record this year with Baker you would be foolish to kick him to the curb in the offseason. You sign and trade him for a good pick or keep him and make Corral or perhaps another rookie we draft next year compete for the job. There aren't exactly tons of NFL starting QBs looking for a job. Or rookies that actually work out before year 2.

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not advocating for Matt to play at all that season.  My grip is this this move allows Rhule to avoid eating the poo sandwich he's created at the position by extending his tenure even further. 

I agree a vet is needed if they hope to develop Corral.  I have doubts this staff could anyway. 

This team wasn't going to win with Sam or Matt starting this season but Baker allows Rhule to buy more time. I just hate the fact that the douche will be the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. 

Look, this staff is much improved and if we could win 9 games which honestly would be huge given our schedule, I would be excited no matter the head coach. If you would pay attention you could see the shift in the team players and staff.  In order to stay, Rhule conceded a lot of control to others like Fitterer and Morgan in the front office and to previous head coach coordinators like Wilkes and McAdoo.  He will be the rah rah system process guy and game day manager. The football game plan and adjustments at halftime go to experienced guys with lots of NFL experience. Snow seems smart and creative and now with Wilkes he has an innovative defensive mind controlling the back 7. Now the line can focus on the run and then the pass now that the secondary wont be a sieve. I am optimistic. 

12 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not necessarily. If we can get to 9 wins with Baker in his first year here we could continue to improve or if he continues the good year bad year scenario we have Corral waiting for his chance after sitting and learning for a year. That sounds great to me. And this idea that a rookie is held back by sitting is a very new one and not well founded. Look how bad all the rookies not named Matt Jones did last year. The norm is to play vets and let the rookies sit.  Not the other way around.

Matt's brother Mac did okay for himself in New England.  😆

Sorry, as the old saying went, the devil made me do it.

Jones looked decent because Hoodie and company were smart enough to start with what he could execute and then add more as he got the hang of things.  They did a good job of keeping the pressure off him while gradually pushing him forward at the same time.

Most teams don't do that.  They either expect the kid to run their whole offense, or they dumb it down to what he can do but never add pages back to the playbook as the season progresses. 

While I did not see the games, my guess is Jacksonville, the Jets, and da Bears all look more like the "most teams" category.  Just throwing them out in the water against defenses who know their weaknesses, are licking their chops like hungry lions, and telling him to figure the mess out does not work so well. 

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Matt's brother Mac did okay for himself in New England.  😆

Sorry, as the old saying went, the devil made me do it.

Jones looked decent because Hoodie and company were smart enough to start with what he could execute and then add more as he got the hang of things.  They did a good job of keeping the pressure off him while gradually pushing him forward at the same time.

Most teams don't do that.  They either expect the kid to run their whole offense, or they dumb it down to what he can do but never add pages back to the playbook as the season progresses. 

While I did not see the games, my guess is Jacksonville, the Jets, and da Bears all look more like the "most teams" category.  Just throwing them out in the water against defenses who know their weaknesses, are licking their chops like hungry lions, and telling him to figure the mess out does not work so well. 

I won't edit it and see how many folks will comment about Matt versus Mac. 

Mac was the most proready QB of all of them and as I told everyone last year he would be steady if not spectacular. Too much is made of physical talent and not enough is made of mental talent and football knowledge.  The other guys didn't play in a good system and struggled. And it will be a case by case analysis whether they improve or suck next year as to how much is increased talent around them, individual improvement or a combination of the two.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

I won't edit it and see how many folks will comment about Matt versus Mac. 

Mac was the most proready QB of all of them and as I told everyone last year he would be steady if not spectacular. Too much is made of physical talent and not enough is made of mental talent and football knowledge.  The other guys didn't play in a good system and struggled. And it will be a case by case analysis whether they improve or suck next year as to how much is increased talent around them, individual improvement or a combination of the two.

I agree on the physical talent vs. metal ability and football knowledge.  A guy like Darnold is living proof of that.  So is Brady, in the opposite direction.  So was Montana. 

You pair a guy up who can read a defense, recognize what is happening on any given play, and make quick decisions based with a coaching staff who approaches every week as a chess match and you get results. 

Seems as if most coaches play checkers with the chess pieces.  Some play tiddly winks.

The knock I heard on Jones was his ceiling was lower than that of the "big four," but in the situation he went into, that ceiling will either be raised a bit or rendered moot.  I'm not comparing him to Brady, but go back in time I would not be surprised if the same concern followed him on draft day.

Out of last year, I am not sure who I pity most right now: Wilson or Fields.  It started out as Lawrence by a lot, but the Jags corrected their poor choice of coaches things started looking up.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

How can anyone say Baker isn't any better than Darnold?

I mean, I'm not saying he's prime Dan Marino or anything but he's clearly head and shoulders above Sam Darnold.

This!!!!! ... I'm not a Baker fan by any means (well technically I guess I am now) BUT I think the general consensus is that they are similar players. That holds true if you only look at last years eerily close stats. The problem is Baker played hurt last season. If anything, the hurt version of Mayfield is still a close step up from Darnold. A 100% healthy Mayfield w/ a chip on his shoulder is a totally different animal. 

If we get the Baker from the season before last then Rhule has successfully saved his job. 

Sidenote: + Makes the Higgins acquisition make more sense....

Bad notes: Baker DOES have a turnover problem, so the multiple INTs per game has to be fixed. Also, our receiver room is going to have to become more aggressive in the way they attack the ball (hence Higgins) with his placement. I think we'll be good though between DJ, Rashard, Terrace, and Zlystra, McCaffrey. 

This camp competition should be highly interesting lol. I bet Robbie is feeling some type of way. Had a down year and he's going into a contract year with the QB he publically spoke against feeding his target share. Actually wouldn't suprise me if he was traded. Also..NOW I can finally begin to think that Ian Thomas might have a career year. Alot of things are starting to make more sense surrounding FO intentions/moves.