• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are gonna shock the world!

joemac

8 hours ago, poundaway said:

https://stormininnorman.com/2022/07/07/carolina-panther-acquire-former-sooner-star-qb-baker-mayfield/

How does Mayfield fit with the Carolina scheme?

Carolina offensive coordinator Ben Mcadoo runs an offense that resembles the West Coast system, which also adds in tons of run-pass-option and other modern wrinkles. He also loves to dial-up well-timed deep-ball opportunities. He employs mostly three-step drop and quick release for a QB. This means a lot of pre-snap answers, and quick post-snap reads. This fits great for Baker Mayfield, who is at his best when he can flip it and rip it. He has a quick release and a strong arm.

This system is the best fit for Mayfield on paper than any system he has played under since entering the NFL. Better yet, the personnel when it comes to catching the ball is also vastly improved. Mayfield will finally get a WR1, that he never had in Cleveland with WR D.J. Moore and a deep threat and true WR2 in Robby Anderson. Mayfield had Jarvis Landry and mismatched parts to throw to in Cleveland. Odell Beckham was often injured and was also clearly no longer the player he once was in New York.

Mayfield during his career has thrived in 11-personnel, which will be the common grouping for the Panthers, and when you add in the pass-catching ability of RB Christian McCaffery, there will be easier passes to complete in this system that has a chance for quality value.

It is also worth noting McAdoo was the offensive coordinator for the Giants when future Hall of Fame QB Eli Manning threw 30 or more TDs two the three times in his career.

Final thoughts

The saga is finally over, and Mayfield will have an opportunity to continue his career as an NFL QB. Mayfield appeared to be ascending before a torn labrum among other injuries derailed his 2021 season. The Browns were punished from a value perspective waiting as long as they did to make the move, and the Panthers get the 2017 Heisman winner for basically a four-piece chicken nugget happy meal.

Mayfield is now the odds-on favorite to win comeback player of the year in the NFL, and a playoff berth should be the expectation now for the Panthers who have a solid, young roster.

nice, but the writer is a OU homer.

Baker when healthy has  thrown 53 touchdowns to 22 picks, 63%  completion percentage  94.8 passer rating and a 17-12 record.  Now you go by his PFF grades throughout  his career his rookie season he ranked  9th in terms of PFF grading, 2019 he was  10th,  2020 he was 13th, 2021 he was 30th .

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/how-much-better-does-baker-mayfield-make-the-panthers

As far as 2022 is concerned, the Panthers were projected to win 5.52 games according to the Action Network prior to the Mayfield trade. Now, they're projected to win 6.62 games. In my opinion, I think it makes them at least 2-3 wins better. Before the trade, I had Carolina as a 6-7 win team. With Baker, I think 8-9 wins is attainable.

I guess question becomes, how many games did we lose because of Sam's putrid play?  I think it was more than 1.

Edited by poundaway

15 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Baker when healthy has  thrown 53 touchdowns to 22 picks, 63%  completion percentage  94.8 passer rating and a 17-12 record.  Now you go by his PFF grades throughout  his career his rookie season he ranked  9th in terms of PFF grading, 2019 he was  10th,  2020 he was 13th, 2021 he was 30th .

Damn how often is this fuger not healthy if he has only thrown 22 ints when healthy? Because he has thrown 56 in his career. 

I really think we are going to pass more with McAdoo as OC and Baker at QB. 

Eli Manning's top 3 years for pass attempts were '14,'15 and '16 with McAdoo at OC for over 4000 yards in each of those years and  over 62% completion rate.   I thought it might be a selling point to Baker and  now Baker mentioned that he discussed freedom, audibles and being aggressive with McAdoo and Rhule. 

Baker is starting game one and he is going to let it rip.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:24 PM, PootieNunu said:

Im not even sure the offense is that much improved unless Baker steps his game up. These are the numbers from last year without factoring in Baker was on a playoff ready roster and Darnold was on one of the worst coached teams in the league with no OL. I know darnold sucks with or without an OL, but still. 

Baker: 60.5% 3010 yards,17TDs, 13ints Badthrow% 20.9 OnTarget% 73.6
Darnold :59% 2527 yards,9TDs 13ints Badthrow% 18.5 OnTarget% 74.5

Was darnold playing injured with a coach that was getting him killed on purpose every week? Did you watch that last Steelers game. He didn’t even attempt to protect his qb.