• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How the Mayfield trade came about

Mr. Scot

From the flipside, and analysis of how the relationship between the Browns and Mayfield broke down...

This writer clearly isn't a Mayfield fan, but he also shines a light on some petty and unprofessional behavior from Stefanski and the Browns.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Sounds like Tepper was the voice of reason in this whole process.

Wouldn't go that far...

There's more in the article, but the basic gist of it is that he wanted to get Mayfield for as little as possible. (so did Fitterer).

What strikes me the most about how the story went down is that, as has happened a few times before, we were basically only bidding against ourselves.

But this time, instead of raising the price, we actually managed to lower it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

this is kind of funny....

Heh 😆

Someone else pointed out that the Browns will be paying both Baker Mayfield and Deshaun Watson for 2022 but may not have either of them.

Andrew Berry it's a lot of praise as a GM but that situation is a mess.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

A drinking game but every time @Mr. Scotitalicizes a word, you take a shot. 

A habit I stole from Stephen King 😆

Can't provide tone of voice in a written format so if you want to emphasize something, you have to use visual cues.

In the case of extended quotes like this one though, it's because the board's quote function on mobile became kind of wonky during a previous software upgrade.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 5

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wouldn't go that far...

There's more in the article, but the basic gist of it is that he wanted to get Mayfield for as little as possible. (so did Fitterer).

What strikes me the most about how the story went down is that, as has happened a few times before, we were basically only bidding against ourselves.

But this time, instead of raising the price, we actually managed to lower it.

I got the distinct impression it worked out that way because the rumored other suitor was Seattle.  Had they trotted out somebody else, we might well have had Darnold II, The Sequel. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I got the distinct impression it worked out that way because the rumored other suitor was Seattle.  Had they trotted out somebody else, we might well have had Darnold II, The Sequel. 

Possible. I'd like to think that Scott Fitterer isn't prone to being fooled by these sorts of things like Marty Hurney was though (behind the scenes draft video bolsters that argument).

But yeah, you'd have to think of all people, Fitterer would have a pretty good idea whether his old Seattle colleagues were bluffing or not.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Possible. I'd like to think that Scott Fitterer isn't prone to being fooled by these sorts of things like Marty Hurney was though (behind the scenes draft video bolsters that argument).

But yeah, you'd have to think of all people, Fitterer would have a pretty good idea whether his old Seattle colleagues were bluffing or not.

Seattle was not interested. Ian Rap shot down Josinas rumors and said Seattle was never interested. No one was besides us. Most teams are hesitant to do any deals w the Browns after the Watson incident and that contract. Then there is us who was willing to give up anything for Watson and when we didn't get him traded for the Watson sweepstakes winner's back up lol.

Edited by Jared Patterson