• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into the broken relationship between the Browns and Mayfield

Mr. Scot

Posted in another thread but deserving of a longer look, a Browns writer for The Athletic examines the dysfunction between Mayfield and the team.

Trying to identify where it all went wrong (subscription required)

The writer here clearly isn't a Mayfield fan (I suspect Mayfield critics will love this article) and he pulls no punches when it comes to criticizing him. He also recognizes though that, even with the improvement of the past few seasons, the Browns are still the Browns...and far from blameless in this story.

Excerpts:

He arrived in Cleveland right about the time LeBron James was leaving. I told my bosses at The Athletic early into Mayfield’s rookie year that he was going to be Cleveland’s new LeBron and we needed to treat him as such.

Four years later, he’s gone, swept away in a cocktail of incompletions and interceptions blended with some of the highest moments this franchise has experienced in the last 25 years. Admittedly, that’s not a high bar, which is why Mayfield’s mediocrity looked so good in isolated moments to a thirsty fan base searching for someone to love.

Mayfield’s legacy in Cleveland will forever be akin to the messy franchise that drafted him: complicated. He departs fourth on the all-time list in passing yards behind only Brian Sipe, Otto Graham and Bernie Kosar — the holy trinity of Browns quarterbacks. He’s fifth in touchdown passes and second in passer rating (minimum 500 attempts).

Yet his constant failures in fourth quarters and tight moments, dating back to his rookie year, made it evident the Browns needed to get better at the most important position to compete with the arms race of AFC quarterbacks. Mayfield always thought he was better than he was and it repeatedly got him into trouble with terrible footwork and ill-advised throws at inopportune times.

The debate last summer was whether Mayfield was worth a $300 million contract. The Browns wisely never offered him an extension and, in a stunning reversal, ultimately had to eat $10 million just to unload him.

Mayfield has valid complaints. The Browns were toxic for 20 years and cycled through four head coaches and four coordinators in his first three seasons, terrible instability for a franchise quarterback. He sparred with Jackson after he was fired, and Mayfield was sabotaged by an unprepared and overwhelmed Freddie Kitchens, who was so horrifically inept at his job that he cost general manager John Dorsey his.

It was supposed to be different with Kevin Stefanski, and at times, it was. Mayfield and Stefanski were terrific dance partners in 2020, guiding the Browns to the postseason and the team’s only playoff win of the new era. Stefanski spent their first season together trying hard to get Mayfield comfortable early in games with simple pitch-and-catch routes before getting more aggressive as the game progressed. It worked well for a while, but the relationship soured like so many others involving Mayfield.

By the time it was over, there was a lack of trust on both sides. Mayfield was annoyed Stefanski missed a meeting the day after the Browns were thrashed by the Patriots and thought the play-caller should attend every session. Stefanski was absent because he was meeting instead with Myles Garrett, according to a source, after Garrett lashed out to the media postgame over the coaching staff’s lack of adjustments at New England.

In one of those “careful what you wish for” moments, Stefanski never missed another meeting and privately shined a glaring spotlight on his quarterback during film sessions from that day forward.

There were plenty of errors to point out. In a league built for close finishes, Mayfield had a passer rating of 17.8 in the final four minutes of games last season when the Browns trailed by one possession or less. For those insisting it was the shoulder injury hindering him, Mayfield’s career passer rating was 51.1 under the same parameters — 59th in the NFL. His 19 career interceptions in fourth quarters are the second-most in the league since 2018.

This wasn’t just a shoulder issue, it was a Baker issue. Yet at least one member of the organization openly wondered to me in recent weeks how much different things would look today had Mayfield shut it down after initially injuring the shoulder against Houston in Week 2 or even after further damaging the shoulder against Arizona. Would he still be the quarterback today? Maybe.

By the end of last season, however, it was clear Stefanski had lost faith in his quarterback. Mayfield lost confidence in himself and what he was seeing and therefore his head coach could no longer trust him. Mayfield was irate by the protection calls in his final game at Pittsburgh when he was sacked nine times and had five passes batted down at the line. He asked out loud why there was no help on the edge for rookie tackle James Hudson, who was overwhelmed by T.J. Watt and a Steelers pass rush that battered Mayfield for four quarters.

There was an eerie feeling surrounding that night. Watching it live, it felt like Mayfield’s final game as a member of the Browns, and ultimately it was. It looked from the press box like the Browns were setting up Mayfield to fail, almost deliberately delivering him a message. The team privately felt like Mayfield had plenty of chances to get rid of the ball and part of his problems that night were systemic to his issues throughout the season: a lack of confidence and an inability to trust what he saw.

We were left with a quarterback who didn’t trust his coach and a coach who didn’t trust his quarterback. Whether or not that ever could’ve been repaired will never be known now, but the team believed the issue was more the quarterback than the coach.

Mayfield was widely viewed as childish and immature. His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.

Ironically, he’s off to another tenuous situation in Carolina to learn another system under another head coach who could soon be fired. Matt Rhule and Mayfield are now relying on each to save the other. At least Rhule will be getting a motivated Mayfield who feels slighted and disrespected. That’s historically when Baker has been at his best.

The Browns saw flashes of his best, but not enough of them. It’s on to Watson … eventually. A franchise that has spent the better part of the last 20 years in football hell is back in purgatory, waiting on another new quarterback to save them.

• Pie 3

The writer here clearly isn't a Mayfield fan (I suspect Mayfield critics will love this article) and he pulls no punches when it comes to criticizing him. He also recognizes though that, even with the improvement of the past few seasons, the Browns are still the Browns...and far from blameless in this story.

Well to be honest Mr. Scot there's a lot to be critical about. The Browns are the Browns, granted, but Mayfield has issues with coaches everywhere he goes. 

In a league built for close finishes, Mayfield had a passer rating of 17.8 in the final four minutes of games last season when the Browns trailed by one possession or less. For those insisting it was the shoulder injury hindering him, Mayfield’s career passer rating was 51.1 under the same parameters — 59th in the NFL. His 19 career interceptions in fourth quarters are the second-most in the league since 2018.

Sweet, sounds exactly like Teddy.

Mayfield was widely viewed as childish and immature. His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.

No surprise here. If he was a cool dude who didn't always piss people off everywhere he went, he might be viewed more favorably despite his limitations as a QB. But he polarizes a locker room and coaching staff (there were reports the Panthers staff was split on whether to trade for him at all) and that's one of the main reasons no one wanted to trade for him. He hasn't changed anywhere he's been. He's the same brat he's always been.

I get why they made the trade and I'm happy they didn't give up a of assets to do it, it's just a sad state of affairs to be at the point we're at right now. I never wanted Mayfield. The Panthers should have never gotten to this point of desperation to be taking in rejects from across the league. I wanted them to suck it up and play Darnold and get Matt Corral on the field even if he wasn't ready. At least tank the right way and get a top 3 draft pick to get a new franchise QB and hopefully a competent coaching staff next year. There are some talented players on the roster, but this haphazardly slapped together team won't work and I think we all know it deep down.

If the Panthers magically make the playoffs with Baker Mayfield I'll shut my mouth and never be negative again. But I have a really good sense of these things and I have a feeling it's going to explode in spectacular fashion and the Panthers are a soap opera all season, amidst many losses. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

The great Bill Belichick was fired from the Browns too. The Browns acquire talent but they are a highly dis functional organization, and have always been that way. Baker can be a Flacco type of QB in the right environment, are we the right environment? Only time will tell.

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Well to be honest Mr. Scot there's a lot to be critical about. The Browns are the Browns, granted, but Mayfield has issues with coaches everywhere he goes. 

Sweet, sounds exactly like Teddy.

No surprise here. If he was a cool dude who didn't always piss people off everywhere he went, he might be viewed more favorably despite his limitations as a QB. But he polarizes a locker room and coaching staff (there were reports the Panthers staff was split on whether to trade for him at all) and that's one of the main reasons no one wanted to trade for him. He hasn't changed anywhere he's been. He's the same brat he's always been.

I get why they made the trade and I'm happy they didn't give up a of assets to do it, it's just a sad state of affairs to be at the point we're at right now. I never wanted Mayfield. The Panthers should have never gotten to this point of desperation to be taking in rejects from across the league. I wanted them to suck it up and play Darnold and get Matt Corral on the field even if he wasn't ready. At least tank the right way and get a top 3 draft pick to get a new franchise QB and hopefully a competent coaching staff next year. There are some talented players on the roster, but this haphazardly slapped together team won't work and I think we all know it deep down.

If the Panthers magically make the playoffs with Baker Mayfield I'll shut my mouth and never be negative again. But I have a really good sense of these things and I have a feeling it's going to explode in spectacular fashion and the Panthers are a soap opera all season, amidst many losses. 

That was never going to happen because Matt Rhules job is on the line. This thing has been FUBAR since Tepper took over. Giving a coach 7 years is ridiculous. On top of paying him playoff money. Now Teppers impatient and he's on the hot seat after 3 years anyway. It's idiotic. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Mayfield isn't perfect.  None of us are.  However, the Browns should be worshipping Baker.  He came into a crap franchise that was 1-31 (with a 1-31 roster) and took them to the playoffs for the first time in forever and more importantly changed the entire culture to a winning one.  After all that they cast him aside like trash.  4 Head coaches.  4 OC's.  His success is incredible considering the facts.  He was top 10 before getting injured in 2021.  That's when the Browns decided to kill his career by allowing him to play injured and intentionally put him in situations to injure him more and make him look bad.  If you disagree you need to go do some research and inform yourself.  It was a calculated attack.  His biggest mistake in Cleveland was showing loyalty and trying to play through injury.  It was a bad decision that cost him millions of dollars and helped created the BS narrative that I see so many buying into.

Is Baker Tom Brady?  Nope.  Is he a good QB with a cannon for an arm with really good accuracy that has the potential to win Superbowls?  Hell yes he is.  He isn't even close to his ceiling yet.

• Pie 8
  • Flames 1

Just now, Snake said:

That was never going to happen because Matt Rhules job is on the line. This thing has been FUBAR since Tepper took over. Giving a coach 7 years is ridiculous. On top of paying him playoff money. Now Teppers impatient and he's on the hot seat after 3 years anyway. It's idiotic. 

I know, they were never going to tank properly. I thought they should have forced Rhule to live or die by Sam Darnold since they traded to get him, and picked up his $19m option despite never playing a down for the team. They hitched their wagon to the guy. Now they realized they f*cked up and were able to buy low on Baker Mayfield who comes to the Panthers with a heap of his own garbage to sort through. It's a mess, and Mayfield honestly makes it more of a mess than if they never had him at all. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Weeing the author talk about Mayfield not being as good as he thinks he is brings up something I posted somewhere here yesterday.

Cleveland seems to consider any QB they get their hands on a savior.  If you take a guy with the problem of thinking he is better than he is, and immediately fall to your knees whenever he walks onto the field, it is a recipe for disaster.  And Mayfield is not the worst.  Think Johhny Manziel.

Mayfield should have a chip on his shoulder.  That is normally a good thing, but the guy has a problem with interceptions, so we'll see.  Favre often had a chip on his shoulder in big games, too, and it often resulted in some of the most mind-boggling interceptions one could ever see.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, bruceleeroy said:

Mayfield isn't perfect.  None of us are.  However, the Browns should be worshipping Baker.  He came into a crap franchise that was 1-31 (with a 1-31 roster) and took them to the playoffs for the first time in forever and more importantly changed the entire culture to a winning one.  After all that they cast him aside like trash.  4 Head coaches.  4 OC's.  His success is incredible considering the facts.  He was top 10 before getting injured in 2021.  That's when the Browns decided to kill his career by allowing him to play injured and intentionally put him in situations to injure him more and make him look bad.  If you disagree you need to go do some research and inform yourself.  It was a calculated attack.  His biggest mistake in Cleveland was showing loyalty and trying to play through injury.  It was a bad decision that cost him millions of dollars and helped created the BS narrative that I see so many buying into.

Is Baker Tom Brady?  Nope.  Is he a good QB with a cannon for an arm with really good accuracy that has the potential to win Superbowls?  Hell yes he is.  He isn't even close to his ceiling yet.

Have you met @kungfoodude?

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Weeing the author talk about Mayfield not being as good as he thinks he is brings up something I posted somewhere here yesterday.

Cleveland seems to consider any QB they get their hands on a savior.  If you take a guy with the problem of thinking he is better than he is, and immediately fall to your knees whenever he walks onto the field, it is a recipe for disaster.  And Mayfield is not the worst.  Think Johhny Manziel.

Mayfield should have a chip on his shoulder.  That is normally a good thing, but the guy has a problem with interceptions, so we'll see.  Favre often had a chip on his shoulder in big games, too, and it often resulted in some of the most mind-boggling interceptions one could ever see.

The Browns have for years been the very embodiment of what I call lottery pick mentality.

"This ticket wasn't an instant winner? Okay, let's buy another one."

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, bruceleeroy said:

Browns sht all over Mayfield... thought he and Stefanski working together had the ability to make things right...Wrong!.  Browns are a shtty organization and I've witnessed this for 55 years... its really sad.

34 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Did he have issues with Lincoln Riley in Oklahoma?

I missed it if he did, but admittedly I don't follow college football quite as closely as I do the pros.

Regardless, I don't think anyone (including Baker himself) would debate against the notion that he's a cocky bastard. Like it was with Steve Smith, that's a big part of his successes...as well as his failures.

The one piece of this article that kinda raised an eyebrow with me though was the story about Myles Garrett. If he too was "lashing out" over "a lack of adjustments", it makes me wonder a little.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1