• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into the broken relationship between the Browns and Mayfield

Mr. Scot

49 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

My only concern is why did we even make a trade? No other team was interested.... Why not just wait till he was released? Well I guess he wouldn't have chosen us if he would've been released, so I guess I answered my own question lol.

He would not have signed willingly with the Panthers

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Well to be honest Mr. Scot there's a lot to be critical about. The Browns are the Browns, granted, but Mayfield has issues with coaches everywhere he goes. 

Sweet, sounds exactly like Teddy.

No surprise here. If he was a cool dude who didn't always piss people off everywhere he went, he might be viewed more favorably despite his limitations as a QB. But he polarizes a locker room and coaching staff (there were reports the Panthers staff was split on whether to trade for him at all) and that's one of the main reasons no one wanted to trade for him. He hasn't changed anywhere he's been. He's the same brat he's always been.

I get why they made the trade and I'm happy they didn't give up a of assets to do it, it's just a sad state of affairs to be at the point we're at right now. I never wanted Mayfield. The Panthers should have never gotten to this point of desperation to be taking in rejects from across the league. I wanted them to suck it up and play Darnold and get Matt Corral on the field even if he wasn't ready. At least tank the right way and get a top 3 draft pick to get a new franchise QB and hopefully a competent coaching staff next year. There are some talented players on the roster, but this haphazardly slapped together team won't work and I think we all know it deep down.

If the Panthers magically make the playoffs with Baker Mayfield I'll shut my mouth and never be negative again. But I have a really good sense of these things and I have a feeling it's going to explode in spectacular fashion and the Panthers are a soap opera all season, amidst many losses. 

What are these issues "wherever he goes" that you speak of? Dude is an underdog in a league full of chosen ones. Of course his attitude js going to rub people the wrong way because he had to force himself to get to where he is now in spite of his physical limitations. Other guys don't have to deal with that. 

I have a feeling there is a lot more Drew Brees in Mayfield than people know and that a lot of issues you seem to believe there are were related to Lincoln Riley (a polarizing figure in and of himself) and the Browns. The same Browns that just guaranteed $250 million to a guy who may not play for two years running.

Baker likely wasn't the issue here. The Browns locker room and culture are garbage and it's all piecemeal garbage thrown together where no one is willing to follow. The Panthers don't have that issue.

In short, I think what made Baker a problem in Cleveland is what will make him a success in Charlotte.

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

But was willing to take a pay cut to join us?

Based on the stories that have been out there, it sounded like he wasn't all that interested in us.

What's come out more recently is that the Browns gave our leadership guys (Rhule, Fitterer, probably McAdoo) permission to talk to Mayfield and sell him on the idea of coming to Carolina.

Apparently, they succeeded.

Edited by Mr. Scot

51 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

My only concern is why did we even make a trade? No other team was interested.... Why not just wait till he was released? Well I guess he wouldn't have chosen us if he would've been released, so I guess I answered my own question lol.

To have him onboard for training camp. He cut his vacation short to come here and get cleared medically and agreed to have a portion of his contract be incentive based. Sounds like someone happy as fug to leave Cleveland, you know the place where nobody wants to be.

16 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I'm sure they had issues, might not have been big enough to make it to the sports tabloids though. He had an alcohol related arrest while at OU and certainly pissed off some teammates and coaches with his behavior on and off the field. Baker almost got suspended a few times for generally being a douche. 

Cam stole a laptop 

1 hour ago, Jared Patterson said:

If he was released we probably wouldnt have got him for under 5 million for sure. 

51 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

But was willing to take a pay cut to join us?

47 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

He converted part of his salary just to be traded here.

Y’all the Browns paid him $10m to be traded. He didn’t take a pay cut he’s getting that money. 

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I thought it was that he bought a stolen laptop, not that he stole one himself...

I think he knowingly bought a stolen laptop.  I believe there was something about him trying to hide it or throw it out of a window or something if I remember correctly.  It's been a long time though lol.