• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker's Brand of Football: Kurt Warner's Analysis. Part 1 and 2.

With Baker, we need to run the ball.  Ickey, Bozeman, Corbett--maybe Christensen--will be important.  CMC's health is also important.  Keep Baker on the roll outs, play actions, and drop backs with slants and outs--I think he can be effective.

Let's not forget the mental impact this offseason has had on Baker.  I think he will be slightly humbled, slightly pissed off, and very competitive. He is not the only option, and he knows that.  I expect to see Baker as the #1 and by the end of the season, Corral as the #2.  If they are used correctly, that is a good thing.

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Panthers fans have been garbage, especially on this board, since 2018 or so. If we can tailor and offense to what Baker does well, and the team will allow him to lead, we will be fine. 

To be fair, I think part of the reasons fans have been so bad is typically as a fan base you may have 1 or 2 moves that you could "predict" would turn out poorly. Since 18, it's felt like about 75% of the moves have been so blatantly awful that we were calling them failures when they happened before the so called experts. It's hard to root for a team by guys you look at and say I could do a better job in all aspects of building a team (FA, draft, contracts, coaches), and you're right. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

If Warner has this right and Macadoonio does as well, Mayfield could be set up to succeed here. I hope that's the case.

He doesn't have a Smitty here, but he has a DJ and that's a heck of a steady weapon. And CMC is more of a backfield threat than anything Mayfield had in Cleveland.

• Pie 5

46 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

With Baker, we need to run the ball.  Ickey, Bozeman, Corbett--maybe Christensen--will be important.  CMC's health is also important.  Keep Baker on the roll outs, play actions, and drop backs with slants and outs--I think he can be effective.

Let's not forget the mental impact this offseason has had on Baker.  I think he will be slightly humbled, slightly pissed off, and very competitive. He is not the only option, and he knows that.  I expect to see Baker as the #1 and by the end of the season, Corral as the #2.  If they are used correctly, that is a good thing.

We'll find out who McAdoo is real soon... Might be a chance for Mayfield to evaluate his skill set...Karma a bitch.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If Warner has this right and Macadoonio does as well, Mayfield could be set up to succeed here. I hope that's the case.

He doesn't have a Smitty here, but he has a DJ and that's a heck of a steady weapon. And CMC is more of a backfield threat than anything Mayfield had in Cleveland.

I think Mayfield starts day 1, and I think his style really benefits Marshall.  We shall see how adjustable McAdoo is.

• Pie 2

McAdoo and Baker have a lot to prove this season.  I know...if they do their job well it means Rhule stays.  But hopefully Rhule learns that he does not have to be the smartest  guy...he has to be smart enough to hire well and let the NFL football ppl do their job.  I don't know if he has been humbled by being on the hottest seat...one can only hope.  I am a Panther fan so I hope McAdoo and Baker have a great football marriage here. I want to see some damn wins!!!

Thanks for those videos @Ivan The Awesome

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

I think we have enough threads going so I'll just throw PNP's good bad and ugly breakdown in here, he throws in some nice analytics by the year with his performance vs O-line and skill player rankings, and then basic film reactions. I always like their breakdowns for the regular person in addition to the QB genius film study guys like Kurt Warner etc.. Sometimes nice to just go by feel instead of who should have done what on every single route

One thing i've noticed watching these breakdowns is Baker is still basically just reading 2 reads/half the field when he's performing well I don't see why Corral couldn't eventually do the same. Similar arm talent, Corral a little taller. Mayfield maybe a little more naturally accurate with his ball placement but Corral still needs at least a decent amount of preseason minutes to get acclimated before he's on the bench all year long. Hope Darnold gets cut so Corral actually gets fair work in practice to be prepared to come in

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Replace Cams running threat with the RPO. Instead of the read options we ran with Cam we'd run an RPO with Baker. Instead of reading the D to see if he keeps to run or hands off he's reading the D to see if he keeps to throw or hands off. The rest of the concepts cater to Baker's strengths. His strengths and weaknesses as a passer are similar to Cam's.

The added advantage to this type of approach is it sounds similar to the offense Corral ran in college and may help ease his transition to the NFL. 

With Baker coming off an injury and Darnold's own injury history, we may need Corral ready at some point this season.

• Beer 1

39 minutes ago, trueblade said:

The added advantage to this type of approach is it sounds similar to the offense Corral ran in college and may help ease his transition to the NFL. 

With Baker coming off an injury and Darnold's own injury history, we may need Corral ready at some point this season.

Exactly. If Darnold is done, Baker is basically a more experienced Corral. They basically play the same RPO/half field read game. Baker is in year 5 of his career and still struggles sitting in the pocket on full field reads when the D's force him to. That's basically the biggest knock on Corral and I don't think it would take him long to make 2 or 3 half field reads one he learns the playbook. Baker's arm seems a little more accurate at the middle/long throws at the moment though so that's something Corral may or may not be able to match/correct. Accuracy is kinda up in the air as far as being coachable, once you're in the thick of it most guys just revert to their natural tendencies for better or worse

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

One thing i've noticed watching these breakdowns is Baker is still basically just reading 2 reads/half the field when he's performing well I don't see why Corral couldn't eventually do the same. Similar arm talent, Corral a little taller. Mayfield maybe a little more naturally accurate with his ball placement but Corral still needs at least a decent amount of preseason minutes to get acclimated before he's on the bench all year long. Hope Darnold gets cut so Corral actually gets fair work in practice to be prepared to come in

Corral doesn't have anywhere near the arm talent Baker does. Very few NFL QB's do.

If he ever put it together, he could be great. But....that hasn't happened yet so the odds of that seem to be rather slim.

IMO, TC should be 1. Baker, 2. Corral, 3. Darnold/PJ/whoever

Invest in players that might be your future, not players that are about to be your past.

• Pie 1