• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN's Strongest Unit for Every NFL Team

kungfoodude

car.png&h=110&w=110

Carolina Panthers

Running back

The caveat of "if he stays healthy" looms large, but a healthy Christian McCaffrey is one of the best players in football -- ranking in the top 10 in both receiving and rushing value in both 2018 and 2019.

There's concern that his repeated ankle and hamstring injuries will zap some of his explosiveness, but if he can get back to his fully healthy form, you can count the better backs in the league on one hand.

If McCaffrey does get injured, the Panthers added a reliable back in D'Onta Foreman, who finished in the top 10 in rushing yards over the back half of last season while filling in for the injured Derrick Henry on the Titans. Foreman is tough to bring down once he gets a head of steam and provides a nice contrast for McCaffrey.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Thought for sure this would be secondary. I don't think the author is wrong if McCaffrey stays healthy. I think secondary would have been the safer choice though.

RB did seem like a pretty odd choice. I think it's bouyed by having a potentially elite RB.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

We overrate our secondary. Horn might be solid, we really don’t know. I still don’t buy that we know he’s elite from 3 games because of the QBs we faced and the only two vet good WRs (Davis and Cooks) having field days. Chinn is the best we have. Donte, CJ and Woods. Potential, sure, strongest group? Well, if so, it does show our weaknesses. CMC is our only elite player and RBs is a small starting group so it’s easily our strongest group.

Totally disagree with your opinion because you left out the best addition in your breakdown..

Steve Wilkes alone is a major upgrade because we know as Panthers fans.. Give him subpar talent in the secondary and he makes them good. He's proven his talent to coach up secondary players is a real expectation. Giving him this talent should automatically get you pumped about this secondary...

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

RB did seem like a pretty odd choice. I think it's bouyed by having a potentially elite RB.

Chubba could be a really solid fringe starter though with another year on his belt. The offense really should have all of the core and peripheral pieces this year. Just need a QB to step up.

7 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Chubba could be a really solid fringe starter though with another year on his belt. The offense really should have all of the core and peripheral pieces this year. Just need a QB to step up.

And OL. I know everyone fancies that we have suddenly solved those issues but only one returning effective player is making an appearance, Taylor Moton. 

On paper means nothing until it is on the field. 

Strongest Unit .... you could technically make a case for 5 positions. The Rb's are top heavy but fall off significantly. The other 4 = WRs, Secondary, Defensive and Offensive lines. When you account for those units it becomes more of a 2 nickels to 1 dime argument. 

Tier 1: (Top 20 talent at position)..

Rb: Cmc, Foreman (back half play)

Wr: DJ 

Oline: Moton, Bozeman

Dline: Burns

DB: Jeremy Chinn

Tier 2: (Talent to get into Tier 1 by the end of season)

Rb: None

Dline: Brown

Oline: Corbett, Ickey (??)

WR: TMJ 

CB: Horn, Donte 

Tier 3 (Talent to get into Tier 2 by the end of the season) 

Rb: none

WR: Anderson

Dline: YGM, Haynes

Oline: BC

DB: CJ Henderson, Woods 

Tier 4: Wildcards (reliable..some anyway.. and can jump a tier at anytime. Have flashed but also struggled at times) ...

Rb: Chubba 

WR: Higgins, Zlystra, Shi Smith..

Dline: Nixon, Ionnidis, Hoskins

Oline: Brown, Elifien, Daley, Cade

DB: Keith Taylor Jr, Myles, Westry, Burris and possibly Robinson(Want to see what Wilks can do with him. Reminds me of the safety version of Norman.)

Tier 5: Everyone else ...fighting for a roster spot. Except a couple exemptions i.e Andre Robert's (KR/PR)

The above is just all my opinion off the top of my head. With the talent level of a healthy McCaffrey, I could see how RB jumps the list. It's the amount of depth at the other positions that make the running back position get overlooked. That and the fact 50% of the fanbase is thinking CMC wont stay healthy enough to contribute substantially.