• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Old Sports Injuries

Mr. Scot

The ratio of eating absolute poo vs. landing a tough trick for even the best skaters is like 5:1.  You will get injured skating if you're at all serious about it.

I skated when I was a teenager and fractured and then sprained my right ankle about a year apart.  Rolled the poo out of it both times bailing on a trick off a ledge.  That bastard still swells up and aches from time to time.  If you compare my right ankle to my left it's noticeably bigger.

• Beer 2

...25 years ago I got hit in the sack with a seriously errant tee shot. By the time it caught my eye it looked like a speeding meteor crashing to earth, too late to get out of the way... Every year after that the traumatized testicle fills with a little fluid, very slowly enlarging. Not sure when I'm (67) going to get it fixed... kinda like the play and attention I get from the ladies...

• Beer 1

45 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

By the time it caught my eye it looked like a speeding meteor crashing to earth, too late to get out of the way...

A feeling I can understand...

Back in college, I took a kick to the face from a badass black belt in taekwondo class. I distinctly remember seeing his foot coming toward my nose and thinking to myself "I'm about to get kicked in the face".

Might have been smarter to actually do something about it, but nope 😬

• Flames 1

Both MCLs torn. Torn meniscus in right knee. Multiple broken ribs. Severe high ankle sprain in right ankle. Torn rotator cuff in right shoulder. Concussion.

The ankle was in basketball. The concussion came from mountain biking. Everything else came from snowboarding. Ironically I never had a significant injury playing football.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Castavar said:

A switch backside flip down a 12 stair? Dude, you were fuggin insane! The fact you were even trying anything switch down a 12 stair is crazy enough. That's pro level right there lol

Well to be fair I never landed it…and I had no business trying it off a set that big. But when you’re in your early 20’s you gotta send it. Just wear a helmet kids🤙🏼

12 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Tore a tendon in my middle finger in college playing basketball. That was brutally painful but the road to recovery wasn’t so bad. BUT

I snapped my Achilles playing basketball in a YMCA league at 26. That was horrific. The pain was intense and making a full recovery took over nine months. I still have a wicked scar and while I can run around, hike, play sports now etc I will still sometimes get an aching feeling just above my heel if I’ve been working out or running extensively. 

ACL injuries are no doubt terrible but snapping your Achilles results in losing pretty much all of the burst and spring you had in that leg. It just doesn’t ever work like it used to after the fact. 

Yeah I had achilles tendonitis when I was 25 and close to a rupture. Even just tendonitis is a bitch to recover from. I couldn't walk for a week and the doc said of I pushed it that a tear was Likely. Fug those injuries. 

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

The ratio of eating absolute poo vs. landing a tough trick for even the best skaters is like 5:1.  You will get injured skating if you're at all serious about it.

I skated when I was a teenager and fractured and then sprained my right ankle about a year apart.  Rolled the poo out of it both times bailing on a trick off a ledge.  That bastard still swells up and aches from time to time.  If you compare my right ankle to my left it's noticeably bigger.

Learning how to fall is as important as learning to commit and stick tricks🤣 my ankles are such a mess I switched to bmx in my 30’s. Now my shins are destroyed from peddle bite.

Edited by RJK

Not really an injury, but my knees are shot.  I was a catcher throughout my childhood, and then an umpire at the high school and college level until a career change put the kibosh on that in 89.  My knees started acting up in my early 20's, and have gradually gotten worse.  It's not constant, but there are days......

My wife asks me when I am going to have them looked at, and my answer is probably if there is an autopsy.  As I told her, I have a pretty good idea what the solution is, and I don't want to hear it.

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Tore a tendon in my middle finger in college playing basketball. That was brutally painful but the road to recovery wasn’t so bad. BUT

I snapped my Achilles playing basketball in a YMCA league at 26. That was horrific. The pain was intense and making a full recovery took over nine months. I still have a wicked scar and while I can run around, hike, play sports now etc I will still sometimes get an aching feeling just above my heel if I’ve been working out or running extensively. 

ACL injuries are no doubt terrible but snapping your Achilles results in losing pretty much all of the burst and spring you had in that leg. It just doesn’t ever work like it used to after the fact. 

Ronald Curry was what made me appreciate the seriousness of that injury. He was the #1 football and basketball recruit in the country. Won the McD AA slam dunk competition. Tore his Achilles and I can't recall him ever dunking a basketball at UNC and while he was still a good he was a shadow of his former self athletically. He still went on to play several years in the NFL but this is the guy who made Michael Vick an afterthought when they were both HS players in the VA tidewater area. It was ultimately Achilles injuries that ended his NFL career. I think he ended up rupturing his Achilles three times. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ronald Curry was what made me appreciate the seriousness of that injury. He was the #1 football and basketball recruit in the country. Won the McD AA slam dunk competition. Tore his Achilles and I can't recall him ever dunking a basketball at UNC and while he was still a good he was a shadow of his former self athletically. He still went on to play several years in the NFL but this is the guy who made Michael Vick an afterthought when they were both HS players in the VA tidewater area.

Achilles injuries are nasty.  I don't think they ever fully recover. 

A guy I used to umpire baseball with was also an accomplished NCAA basketball official.  Then one night during a game he ruptured his Achilles, and that was pretty much then end of his on court/on field career.

• Pie 1