• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I see Sam to the Rams possibly in the near future...

musicman

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'll be shocked if we get anything for Sam but I'd love to be wrong about that.

If we keep most of his cap hit I can see getting a late day 3 2024 pick or something. That's the best case ideal scenario, we get a tiny bit of cap space and a future pick for a guy who has no place on our roster. For a team like the Rams, Sam at like $3m for a 2024 7th round pick isn't terrible for a better backup than what they currently have.

• Pie 2

This is the situation I hope we can make happen for Sam. He'd be home. If you're QB goes down for a couple plays Sam can give you a fighting chance.

Our FO may not even have that phone number. Seems like their only contacts are the Jets, Browns, Hawks. Two of those need to be deleted.

• Pie 2

In all honesty, Sam is a talented QB, who has his struggles (especially consistency), but it's not all his fault. Last year, he was only part of the problem (O-line and no CMC for starters). The Jets, nuff said. He may not be an alpha, but he is we'll liked by his teammates. He could be a Tannehill one day or a solid back up in the future. 

I do think he would do much better this year with this talented team (especially the O-line) around him. A 2nd year in the offensive system would have been a fair shot too. But, it is what it is. Traded or not, the team has better options for this year and the future than they did the last 2 years.

• Beer 1

On 8/2/2022 at 9:58 AM, Captroop said:

My lingering suspicion since the Baker trade was the "QB competition" was purely to inflate Sam's value.

I think so too.  We've gotten low picks and cap relief for poor performers before. 

That said, I think they also wanted the side by side to confirm what they already knew, that Baker is better, and has recovered from his injuries. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:21 AM, Sgt Schultz said:

Definitely.

"But, but, but certainly somebody has to be dumber than we are."

That is not a bet I would take when it comes to our QB decisions.

You mean like when the Broncos took Teddy, the WFT took Allen, or we took Mayfield for a future conditional 5th?  Seattle traded away Wilson and looks like they're running with Lock.  Atlanta swapped Ryan for Mariota this off season.

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

You mean like when the Broncos took Teddy, the WFT took Allen, or we took Mayfield for a future conditional 5th?  Seattle traded away Wilson and looks like they're running with Lock.  Atlanta swapped Ryan for Mariota this off season.

So, our search for a starting QB is pretty good because one team grabbed a guy that we exiled and we then basically paid to play for them, one spent a 7th rounder and $850k in salary in the bargain basement, and two that are entering a scorched earth level rebuild sold their QB assets in the process?  Is that the barometer you want to use?

The Mayfield deal is probably the most solid QB move we have made since drafting Cam (perhaps the only solid QB move we have made since drafting Cam, when cost of acquisition and salary are considered).  We hope trading up to the late third for Corral will be included in that, but it is too soon to pass that judgement. 

Had the Darnold deal looked more like the Mayfield deal, this place would probably be less surly on the subject of QB exploits.  But comparing spending a 2nd and then some, then giving the guy a raise to $18.5M, or spending $20M a year on a bridge QB (and then we burned the bridge) to any of these situation is certainly creative.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

So, our search for a starting QB is pretty good

No.  I didn't say that.  We were discussing whether or not someone would be dumb enough to take Darnold.  You said you wouldn't bet on that. 

I wasn't saying our QB choices are "pretty good".  I was saying there's a lot of stupid in the NFL.

I agree with the rest of your post.  Between Cam and Mayfield there has been a lot of stupid.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

No.  I didn't say that.  We were discussing whether or not someone would be dumb enough to take Darnold.  You said you wouldn't bet on that. 

I wasn't saying our QB choices are "pretty good".  I was saying there's a lot of stupid in the NFL.

I agree with the rest of your post.  Between Cam and Mayfield there has been a lot of stupid.

Part of the problem with the most recent stupid we have demonstrated is that we don't really know where it came from. 

I can theorize the $20M/year for 3 years of Teddy was a Hurney move (it was consistent with his philosophy that if we pay somebody like they are really good, they will be really good).  So Rhule and Brady come in, decide Teddy is the best available option, and tell Hurney to go sign Teddy.  How were they to know they needed to add "but don't do anything stupid money-wise?" One would not think they would have to be that specific with an NFL GM about the duties of an NFL GM.

Where the filet mignon trade price and decision to exercise the contract option of Darnold came about is anybody's guess.  I don't think it is as simple as Rhule having contractual control over the roster (which may or may not even be enforced anymore), but beyond that it is anybody's guess.  Once Hurney and his contract valuation prowess was out of the room, it generally takes a committee to be that stupid.

FWIW, the Cleveland Browns are in no position to laugh at us, at least out loud.  We did manage to turn their Watson obsession into an opportunity and then we took advantage of it.  Mayfield may not work out, but at the overall price it is hard to argue it is not worth the effort.

• Pie 1

It's not Sam's fault they picked up his option. If they didn't maybe he would be competing for the starting job signed to a 5 mil a year prove it deal. The Panthers took a chance just in case he had a solid year. Last year was bad all around. And they continue to show (and say) they will keep swinging until they get it right with a QB. If it takes 5 swings (or more) to hit on a franchise QB, at least they hit it because they keep taking swings. Give them some credit. And if Rhule is adapting his college building program ways to the NFL (it can take time), we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he is not playing for his job and the future of the team, then let's give him slack and see where it goes. Everybody is so critical of everything. They did say when they hired Rhule it could be 5 years to build a winning program. And the 1st year had Covid disrupt it. I'm not a homer but a realist. 

• Pie 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:04 AM, BrianS said:

Top backups don't give the ball away.  That's kinda the thing.  Teddy Bridgewater is a top backup.

Sam Darnold is a bad QB.  A bust.  

Fitzmagic is still available, as is Mike Glennon.  Those are better choices than Darnold.

Fitz is retired for good imo

10 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I'm pretty sure John Wolford is a better starting QB than Darnold is a a backup QB...

Probably haven't seen enough of Wolford to say for certain, but it seems the Rams are happy with their qb situation.  I think the author was just making up crap when he mentioned the Rams acquiring Darnold.