• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Baker Mayfield lift Carolina Panthers into playoff contention? NFL sources believe so.

poundaway

18 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Baker is a franchise qb who has experienced success. In our system with a smaller ego and ithe motivation of a contract year, there is every reason to expect he will play his best. But the reason for my optimism is our coaching. Not rah rah Rhule but experienced NFL coaches like Campen and Wilks even if you aren't sold on McAdoo. This is the first time in Rhules tenure that we have former NFL head coaches on both sides of the ball. Such a change from proclamations like they didn't do that before so we didn't prepare for that from Snow or Brady. Or we didn't practice redzone plays. From what I have read we did lots of situational work already.  

I agree coaching will be important but it won't be Rhule that will make the difference.

I agree with your post.  I just think Rhule should be given some credit for choosing/recruiting/interviewing/hiring  these coaches.  It's not easy to convince coaches to come to a small/losing team who's owner and coach are absolutely reviled by a loud portion of the  fan base. 

6 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm just saying his play so far hasn't shown he is good enough to get it done on a consistent basis.  So far in camp he's only proved he's marginally better than Sam Darnold.  What does that say?

That Sam is really good in a red jersey.

21 minutes ago, poundaway said:

You're right.  In 2020, he would have went for a lot more.  He should have sat last season.

I've had to caution people about trying to compare anything the Cleveland Browns do with the QB position using any sort of logic or coherent rationale.  Had Tom Brady been drafted by the Cleveland Browns, he'd probably be celebrating 20 years as an insurance agent by now.

The Browns are not alone, but they are in the class that defies reason. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

I came here suspecting Mayfield could elevate this team -- and I thought that some of the Rhule distaste was overblown...

But, if training camp is any indication, I'm growing increasingly worried. 

Splitting reps on a new QB who arrived two months later than he should have, is legitimately undermining the team's, player's, and position's success.  

Darnold got more reps in scrimmage yesterday, for fugs sake. 

Hang around, we'll have you hating Rhule and Tepper with a full froth in no time. 

This is the place  if you want to hear every little mis-step, mis-spoken, slip up, nit-pick or just a good old fashion fat joke.  We're pissed he hires college coaches, but we are enraged if he fires them. 

We keep a mental list in the holster ready to blast anyone who might say anything remotely positive about the guy and if someone does, we blast them with sexual innuendo or ask if they are Mrs Rhule's huddle account.

Welcome to the party.

8 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm just saying his play so far hasn't shown he is good enough to get it done on a consistent basis.  So far in camp he's only proved he's marginally better than Sam Darnold.  What does that say?

Huh?  He has played FAR better than Darnold and when you consider he got the playbook a few weeks ago and is running actual plays with these receivers for the first time he is dominating.  

6 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Never said you had to agree with me my friend.  Just saying I have little faith he will prove to be much better than Darnold in the end. Especially if he has to carry the team without the benefit of CMC in the backfield. 

He's already proven to be better in every single way.  Baker has broken NFL records, was top 10 in total QBR before getting injured last year and won a playoff game with the Browns.  So, are you uneducated or just don't like Baker?

4 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

In the NFL, if your QB can't produce game winning drives, your defense can't produce turnovers, your receivers can't come up clutch on 3rd down/redzone, and your running game can't control the clock and can't maintain a lead for more than one quarter, then you have no chance.

Without CMC, the Panthers do not have any other players who can check off any of these boxes.

Mayfield has 7 4th-qtr comebacks and 6 game winning drives.  He didn't have any last year.  He was at a decent pace up until that point.

We were horrible in turnovers, ranked 26, but we were 4th in punts forced.  I know they're not the same, but  it is  the ball back without allowing a score.

We need more than good QB play for postseason success. We need a very good offensive line for once and a solid defense to keep giving the offense chances. But I don't feel like nothing good will happen on offense if our line can't block any better than last year so hopefully it's fixed or will be a different story this year

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

Mayfield has 7 4th-qtr comebacks and 6 game winning drives.  He didn't have any last year.  He was at a decent pace up until that point.

If CLE's defense didn't have a historic (literally historic) collapse against Herbert and the Chargers, Mayfield would have had at least 1 last season.  There were a few others that I'm not sure are fair to square on Mayfield entirely. He was hurt and played poorly as the season went on, but CLE was erratic all over the place last season - not just their former QB. 

• Flames 1