• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers at Commies GameDay Thread

Zod

Just now, Stuart Smith said:

I have to wonder how much emphasis has been on preparing Corral so far. I think the consensus has been to bring him along slowly, I imagine he has not been a priority. The main thrust of preseason has been Darnold-Mayfield. The OL protection Corral had today looked like what Darnold had in some games last year. We cannot jump to conclusions based on one preseason game. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, weyco2000 said:

Complete cluster fug, no idea why he let the clock run down to 11 seconds

I was literally watching on my phone with no sound while bartending and had no clue why we were running down the clock, not calling our 2 timeouts, no getting to the line and clocking it, anything that would make sense. And then PJ throws the ball out of bounds instead of picking up probably 5 yards and a 1st down and THEN running out of bounds to stop the clock in field goal range. Mind Boggling 

2 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

I have to wonder how much emphasis has been on preparing Corral so far. I think the consensus has been to bring him along slowly, I imagine he has not been a priority. The main thrust of preseason has been Darnold-Mayfield. The OL protection Corral had today looked like what Darnold had in some games last year. We cannot jump to conclusions based on one preseason game. 

He had no chance with that O-line and WR group vs a WFT defense that just said fug it blitz over and over again. That O-line couldn't even give the running back any room in that particular matchup. All that after getting like 20 reps in the last two weeks as an afterthought, it almost seems like Rhule is hazing him

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

Said it elsewhere a couple of times, but it applies here too...

In the case of Matt Corral, and to some degree in the case of Ikem Ekwonu, Rhule is treating them more like college freshman than NFL rookies.

In most cases, you're not looking to get a freshman ready for this season, or often even next season. You're going to spend the bulk of this year's practice time getting the seniors and juniors ready while the younger players wait their turn.

And for college football, that's a fine approach.

This isn't college football.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Said it elsewhere a couple of times, but it applies here too...

In the case of Matt Corral, and to some degree in the case of Ikem Ekwonu, Rhule is treating them more like college freshman than NFL rookies.

In most cases, you're not looking to get a freshman ready for this season, or often even next season. You're going to spend the bulk of this year's practice time getting the seniors and juniors ready while the younger players wait their turn.

And for college football, that's a fine approach.

This isn't college football.

That O-line shuffling in the first quarter showed me Rhule hasn't learned a thing from his new coaching staff. The frustrating part is he tries to force other guys like Jordan and Elf into success while making the more raw naturally talented new guys "earn it"

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

That O-line shuffling in the first quarter showed me Rhule hasn't learned a thing from his new coaching staff. The frustrating part is he tries to force other guys like Jordan and Elf into success while making the more raw naturally talented new guys "earn it"

The "earn it" thing is kinda silly at the pro level, especially for quality free agents and highly drafted rookies.

He still thinks like a college coach.

I seriously doubt he's ever going to be a successful pro coach.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The "earn it" thing is kinda silly at the pro level, especially for quality free agents and highly drafted rookies.

He still thinks like a college coach.

I seriously doubt he's ever going to be a successful pro coach.

We technically won the game but WFT seemed to have a much more smooth transition from starters and backups and their guys didn't look completely clueless by the 4th quarter. We all know how the training camp reps have been split up so it all adds up when you see it on live TV

8 hours ago, weyco2000 said:

Howell was working with the same sh1t and balling the fug out, hell he’s playing with what seems like every cut the Panthers have ever made…

Exactly. People keep making excuses for Corral when Sam Howell had to play with shiiit 3rd stringers too. I’m a believe that if you have talent, you’ll find a way to show it no matter what the circumstances 

34 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

And I hope Tepper is paying attention. 

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Elf and Jordan smh.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

42 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think I am in love with Icky.  That is the aggression we have needed for so long on the oline

before the draft I was watching a lot of Icky's highlights...there was one where pushed one guy down to the ground and started looking for someone else to block, no one near, he looked back quickly at the guy on the ground and a big good-natured laugh...I wanted him from that point on.  He wasn't taunting or anything, it was just a "yes, that's how strong I am" or something like that.  

Can't believe we got him.  He's a beast.